Isn't it funny how the US was founded on freedom yet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2014, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 06:52 AM by Banjo.)
RE: Isn't it funny how the US was founded on freedom yet
(07-03-2014 04:28 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Had Slavery,Segregation, and lynchings?

The world at that time was hardly all puppies and cream. For every crime in one corner of the world one could find another elsewhere.

Slavery was rife and existed not only in North, but also South America. Are we to blame Americans for the slavery in Brasil? How about blaming the Americans for the French or Spannish sailors involved in the trade?

Even today there is no perfect nation. Sweden seems alright, but not so long ago they turned a blind eye to the Nazis. Same story with the Swiss. "Sure, we'll bank your stolen gold."

America has become an empire building nation. Just like England before it. American governments have agendas. Just like any other. My country, Australia has a leader who fawns to the Catholic church. And Australians deposed an atheist, thoughtful leader to get him!???

I think pointing fingers is rather too simplistic and shows nothing more than personal bias. Which is not unnatural. The world is full of pots jeering at kettles after all.

Slavery in American history was as dreadful as it was in other places and times. However some wonderful things were born of that tragedy. Our modern music would not exist without it. Blues, jazz, rock and pop all derived from a far off land such as Nigeria, for one example. All those sailors I mentioned singing their folk songs in the slave ports of the Caribbean mixing with African rhythms created an aural ministrone without equal in the history of the world.

South Africa had its laws of discrimination that appalled the world. In Australia's north east at the close of WWI a price was put on Kurri (Aboriginal) heads and many a returned soldier helped "cleanse" the area of its native peoples.

No nation or people is without its crimes. I think remembering that fact helps to add balance.

Experimental drug disengaged. Hopefully my brain will return.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2014, 07:28 AM
(25-03-2014 06:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 04:28 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Had Slavery,Segregation, and lynchings?

The world at that time was hardly all puppies and cream. For every crime in one corner of the world one could find another elsewhere.

Slavery was rife and existed not only in North, but also South America. Are we to blame Americans for the slavery in Brasil? How about blaming the Americans for the French or Spannish sailors involved in the trade?

Even today there is no perfect nation. Sweden seems alright, but not so long ago they turned a blind eye to the Nazis. Same story with the Swiss. "Sure, we'll bank your stolen gold."

America has become an empire building nation. Just like England before it. American governments have agendas. Just like any other. My country, Australia has a leader who fawns to the Catholic church. And Australians deposed an atheist, thoughtful leader to get him!???

I think pointing fingers is rather too simplistic and shows nothing more than personal bias. Which is not unnatural. The world is full of pots jeering at kettles after all.

Slavery in American history was as dreadful as it was in other places and times. However some wonderful things were born of that tragedy. Our modern music would not exist without it. Blues, jazz, rock and pop all derived from a far off land such as Nigeria, for one example. All those sailors I mentioned singing their folk songs in the slave ports of the Caribbean mixing with African rhythms created an aural ministrone without equal in the history of the world.

South Africa had its laws of discrimination that appalled the world. In Australia's north east at the close of WWI a price was put on Kurri (Aboriginal) heads and many a returned soldier helped "cleanse" the area of its native peoples.

No nation or people is without its crimes. I think remembering that fact helps to add balance.

Yes. Yes we are to blame the US for the Brazilian slave-trade.

Why? Because the US is to blame for everything. If that doesn't work, then you start blaming communists.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-03-2014, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 04:24 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(25-03-2014 06:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Slavery in American history was as dreadful as it was in other places and times.

No actually, it was much worse, or to really be more specific, the entirety of the Atlantic Slave Trade was much worse. Slavery had never really been much of a profit making industry beforehand, usually being the product of class/caste role fulfillment meeting the position of personal domestic servants or vanquished enemies enslaved as the spoils of war. The Atlantic Slave Trade was of unprecedented scale and strictly for economic benefits. It was mass-scale exploitation meant to fill the pockets of all transactional parties involved. It also introduced the modern conception of racism.

[Image: giphy.gif]
25-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi there.
I have yet to find an ideal form of slavery in history. I know that if a slave in Rome killed his or her master, all the household slaves were put to death as punishment for the crime. I believe in one instance over 300 men women and children died in one household. It was a famous case in Rome. I cannot recall the master's name now.

Were there any instances of 300+ household slaves being put to death in America at one time?

I do not believe a search or competition to find the most evil slavery would help anyone.

25-03-2014, 06:17 PM
(25-03-2014 04:44 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi there.
I have yet to find an ideal form of slavery in history. I know that if a slave in Rome killed his or her master, all the household slaves were put to death as punishment for the crime. I believe in one instance over 300 men women and children died in one household. It was a famous case in Rome. I cannot recall the master's name now.

Were there any instances of 300+ household slaves being put to death in America at one time?

I do not believe a search or competition to find the most evil slavery would help anyone.

Neither do I, I was just being pedantic. Wink

25-03-2014, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 09:05 PM by Banjo.)
Pedantic is one word for it.

I got the impression from listening to Seth that education and civility are paramount within the ideaology of this site.

I hope I am right.

26-03-2014, 12:00 AM
(25-03-2014 08:45 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Pedantic is one word for it.

I got the impression from listening to Seth that education and civility are paramount within the ideaology of this site.

I hope I am right.

Education? Usually.

Civility.....varies. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
26-03-2014, 01:15 AM
(26-03-2014 12:00 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 08:45 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Pedantic is one word for it.

I hope I am right.

Education? Usually.

Do you want to warn him about Taq, or should I? Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-03-2014, 08:06 AM
(26-03-2014 01:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 12:00 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Education? Usually.

Do you want to warn him about Taq, or should I? Tongue

Have at it.