Isn't the bible poorly written?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2015, 05:34 PM
RE: Isn't the bible poorly written?
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:32 PM)Alla Wrote:  I can produce the list. But why do you need this list? What are you going to do with this list? I assume you do not believe in God. So, why would you be "all ears"?
If nothing else, it would allow us to understand your position better.
I don't ask atheists to understand my position better.
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  It may even convince some people, if its reasoning is valid.
1) I am not trying to convince anybody.
2)No, it won't convince anybody. If you do not believe in God nothing(no list) will convince you even if it is reasonable.
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Saying "I have it, but I won't show you because you're a meany-meanhead", on the other hand, will convince no one.
I am not telling because I am meany. I am not telling because it is useless.
I am not here to convince people.
But I like to answer some questions of atheists. I like to answer some really, really good questions of atheists.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 05:34 PM
(12-08-2015 04:51 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Genesis is more interesting stories than poetry. The poetry comes later.

From Job 1:21:

Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

From Ecclesiastes 9:11:

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Not only are these great poetry (in my opinion), but the quotation from Ecclesiastes also expresses one of the most profound truths I have ever encountered.
Were you once a Christian? Did you study and adore the bible as a Christian?
Or did you read it as an Atheist?

Of course my liking of Maiden lyrics is heavily tainted by my adoration of the band. They are a brand and I have been caught up in brand preference. I can't objectively assess their future music.

That Job piece that you posted, doesn't seem very good to me, a bit nonsensical and the injection of god seems unnecessary.
The Ecclesiastes piece is OK, nothing profound though. But I'm not saying that the messages in Maiden lyrics are profound either. I guess some truth in it, but it goes too far towards chance and time. Obviously there is a mix of a lot of things that cause someone to win a contest. And this would be obvious to anyone with some time under their belts.
12-08-2015, 05:37 PM
(12-08-2015 03:21 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Don't bother, Alla, there'd be no point whatsoever in your producing any kind of list.
I know. That is why I am not doing it. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
12-08-2015, 06:04 PM
(12-08-2015 05:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  If nothing else, it would allow us to understand your position better.
I don't ask atheists to understand my position better.

Then why are you here?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
12-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Actually, my favorite quotation from the Bible is also in Ecclesiastes, the first chapter, verse 18:

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow." (NKJV)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Well what do you expect from a couple of bronze age goat shagging illiterate fuckwitts who didn't know anything about anything? Something that would rival a Stephen King novel?

The only reason why it's a thing is because people who didn't know better believed it, because they were idiot bronze age cavemen, and that happened so much and spread like wildfire that to this day people still believe it because they're taught it from a young age and they are victims of "well if he believes it it MUST be true" effect.

People don't believe because the bible is a good read. They believe because they want too, because it makes them feel or warm and fuzzy and superior to everyone else and because without it they might have to take their fatass off their mobility scooter and walk to the fridge at least once in their pathetic loser lives. Or you know, cook once a week because everyone is equal man and women and she might have a career of her own, god forbid. OR who else ya gonna hate on and make out as a scapegoat if the bible doesn't tell you who? Heaven forbid you form an opinion on someone by getting to know them and not instantly judging because of the colour of their skin or if they like sticking their dicks into vagina or other dudes assholes..

I think I went a little off topic here, what was the original question?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
That makes me want to share my other favorite Bible verses, Ezekiel 22:30-31 -

30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.
31 Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own ways have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord God.

I love it. That phrase, "make up the hedge and stand in the gap" means to me the person who steps up, shoulder to shoulder, or alone if need be, and says "this must not be", "this is worth dying on this spot for", "this is bigger than I am, but I will do what I can". It has always been my favorite expression of the honor of the soldier who is the last man alive on a burning tank as the Nazis advance and says "you shall not pass!", or the volunteer working the Thursday night soup kitchen because the taxpaying society won't feed its impoverished, or the nurse working the 3AM emergency shift after working a full normal shift because a tornado just hit the town, or the firefighters who stagger half-blinded out of a New York skyscraper that just collapsed on their buddies and 3000 civilians, etc.

I am not saying that I believe God's fire will come from heaven to destroy people, if the above do not happen. But when I read that verse, I think of all the bravery and astounding human decency of the person who stand their ground when others have fled, or who sees a need without enough hands to lift it up, and steps forward, who stands shoulder-to-shoulder with their fellow fighters in the shield-wall. And I think, when a country is too full of selfish people to have those who will make up the hedge and stand in the gap, it is lost, and it will be their own ways that doom them (see also: Roman Empire).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-08-2015, 08:44 PM
(12-08-2015 06:04 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 05:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  I don't ask atheists to understand my position better.

Then why are you here?

Because trollolol.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-08-2015, 08:56 PM
The DVD 'Evolution's Achilles Heels' just goes to again reiterate and confirm the principle that an Intelligent Designer, Jesus Christ, had made the Universe and everything in it 'ex nihilo' out of nothing. The word 'Universe' i.e. 'uni + verse' actually means 'A single spoken sentence'.
The irony of the matter is that, the more I try to understand the atheist-evolutionists' position, the more the channel 'National Geographic' (Channel 181 on DSTV) and NG Wild (Channel 182 on DSTV) intervenes with programmes (and narrators!) that underwrite and support the Biblical Creation Record in Genesis, i.e. Creationism and Intelligent Design. Glad to see that 'National Geographic' has finally seen the Light.
The atheist-evolutionists' have a serious problem, i.e. how dumb, brainless and random 'Evolution' could have made this ('visible') Universe spontaneously, according to present knowledge, approx. 30 billion light-years in diameter, 'ex nihilo' out of NOTHING, but today cannot even fold a little paper-airplane 30 centimeters in length out of SOMETHING.

Kind regards,
Piet Stassen
South Africa.
12-08-2015, 09:43 PM
(12-08-2015 08:56 PM)Piet Stassen Wrote:  ...
The atheist-evolutionists' have a serious problem,

Welcome to TTA, Piet.

I'm sure you'll do well here.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post