Isn't the bible poorly written?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 02:37 AM
RE: Isn't the bible poorly written?
(12-08-2015 09:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 08:56 PM)Piet Stassen Wrote:  ...
The atheist-evolutionists' have a serious problem,

Welcome to TTA, Piet.

I'm sure you'll do well here.

Thumbsup

....said the spider to the fly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Quote:Piet Stassen Offline
Likes Given: 0

I'm pretty sure it was just a drive-by. Dishonest freakin' theists have stooped, yet again, to advertising and lying.

Those may be redundant.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
13-08-2015, 02:44 AM
(12-08-2015 07:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well what do you expect from a couple of bronze age goat shagging illiterate fuckwitts who didn't know anything about anything? Something that would rival a Stephen King novel?

The only reason why it's a thing is because people who didn't know better believed it, because they were idiot bronze age cavemen, and that happened so much and spread like wildfire that to this day people still believe it because they're taught it from a young age and they are victims of "well if he believes it it MUST be true" effect.

People don't believe because the bible is a good read. They believe because they want too, because it makes them feel or warm and fuzzy and superior to everyone else and because without it they might have to take their fatass off their mobility scooter and walk to the fridge at least once in their pathetic loser lives. Or you know, cook once a week because everyone is equal man and women and she might have a career of her own, god forbid. OR who else ya gonna hate on and make out as a scapegoat if the bible doesn't tell you who? Heaven forbid you form an opinion on someone by getting to know them and not instantly judging because of the colour of their skin or if they like sticking their dicks into vagina or other dudes assholes..

I think I went a little off topic here, what was the original question?

ear who?

Oh...I remember.

Welcome back
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2015, 04:04 AM
(12-08-2015 08:56 PM)Piet Stassen Wrote:  The DVD 'Evolution's Achilles Heels' just goes to again reiterate and confirm the principle that an Intelligent Designer, Jesus Christ, had made the Universe and everything in it 'ex nihilo' out of nothing. The word 'Universe' i.e. 'uni + verse' actually means 'A single spoken sentence'.
The irony of the matter is that, the more I try to understand the atheist-evolutionists' position, the more the channel 'National Geographic' (Channel 181 on DSTV) and NG Wild (Channel 182 on DSTV) intervenes with programmes (and narrators!) that underwrite and support the Biblical Creation Record in Genesis, i.e. Creationism and Intelligent Design. Glad to see that 'National Geographic' has finally seen the Light.
The atheist-evolutionists' have a serious problem, i.e. how dumb, brainless and random 'Evolution' could have made this ('visible') Universe spontaneously, according to present knowledge, approx. 30 billion light-years in diameter, 'ex nihilo' out of NOTHING, but today cannot even fold a little paper-airplane 30 centimeters in length out of SOMETHING.

Kind regards,
Piet Stassen
South Africa.

Evolution is not the study of how the universe began. Google is your friend Piet.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
13-08-2015, 04:46 AM
(12-08-2015 06:23 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  After reading the bible, I can only say I'm left confused as it's all down to interpretation.

I struggle with finding out whether something is this or that since it some pages after says the opposite thing.

How can someone who studies it for years and gets a phd in this and claim to understand more of the bible than a normal guy who just read it once when it's impossible to comprehend it.

I give the bible 1/10, it's almost as good as twilight.

It certainly doesn't translate well from its original languages.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
13-08-2015, 04:49 AM
(13-08-2015 04:46 AM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 06:23 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  After reading the bible, I can only say I'm left confused as it's all down to interpretation.

I struggle with finding out whether something is this or that since it some pages after says the opposite thing.

How can someone who studies it for years and gets a phd in this and claim to understand more of the bible than a normal guy who just read it once when it's impossible to comprehend it.

I give the bible 1/10, it's almost as good as twilight.

It certainly doesn't translate well from its original languages.

Archi

Original languages?

You dun tryin' ta tell me Jesus didn't speak English?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-08-2015, 04:50 AM
(12-08-2015 08:56 PM)Piet Stassen Wrote:  The DVD 'Evolution's Achilles Heels' just goes to again reiterate and confirm the principle that an Intelligent Designer, Jesus Christ, had made the Universe and everything in it 'ex nihilo' out of nothing. The word 'Universe' i.e. 'uni + verse' actually means 'A single spoken sentence'.
The irony of the matter is that, the more I try to understand the atheist-evolutionists' position, the more the channel 'National Geographic' (Channel 181 on DSTV) and NG Wild (Channel 182 on DSTV) intervenes with programmes (and narrators!) that underwrite and support the Biblical Creation Record in Genesis, i.e. Creationism and Intelligent Design. Glad to see that 'National Geographic' has finally seen the Light.
The atheist-evolutionists' have a serious problem, i.e. how dumb, brainless and random 'Evolution' could have made this ('visible') Universe spontaneously, according to present knowledge, approx. 30 billion light-years in diameter, 'ex nihilo' out of NOTHING, but today cannot even fold a little paper-airplane 30 centimeters in length out of SOMETHING.

Kind regards,
Piet Stassen
South Africa.

Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of the universe.

Kind regards,
JDog554
Reality.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-08-2015, 05:04 AM
(12-08-2015 04:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:45 PM)Stevil Wrote:  "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."

Hmm, not feeling it.

"And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.
And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech.
And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:"

Just riviting poetry, magestic and magnificent, not one iota of boring.

"But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.
And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them."

Sorry, I know we are all entitled to opinions and all, but this is just garbage writing. Trash. My 6 year old writes much more interesting stories, nowhere near as repeatative, nowhere near as much superfluous text. It's just yuck.

Cherry-picking. I could make Shakespeare or Milton or James Joyce or anyone you like look bad by selectively quoting a few lines. It doesn't prove anything. Also, I admitted that the begats are boring, so those don't count, and they are a relatively small part of Genesis anyway. You don't address any of the specific stories I mentioned. I never claimed that every line of Genesis was riveting, but again, there is no piece of literature (except maybe some short poems) that would meet that test. It is a stitched-together collection of stories, and it is uneven. But it contains some great stories. That's all I'm saying. You don't have to read it or like it. There are plenty of other great stories out there. But I like it.

The geneologies are boring to us, geneologies and numerology were hugely important in the past. Don't forget everyone skips book iii in the illiad because of the catalogue of ships. If it was so dull, why did it stay in the poem. Simply put, massive amounts of details were in those catalogues and lists which we simply don't know and thus they become tedious.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
13-08-2015, 05:09 AM
(12-08-2015 08:52 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'd rather reread Twilight than the Bible. At least the first page of Twilight didn't go like this;

"Bella's flight arrived in Forks.

And Bella got off of the flight.

And Bella saw her father's car.

And Bella got into the car.

And Charlie turned to Bella,

And asked 'How was your flight?'.

And Bella said 'It was okay'."

I know it's only the first couple pages or so, but dammit, "Don't start every sentence with 'And'" is something I learned in third grade.

(12-08-2015 08:01 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  I don't know. I tried to read it cover to cover but found it so excruciatingly boring I couldn't even get through the first chapter.

Ditto.

I finally realized why so few theists read the damned thing. Undecided

Yes but you were taught to use punctuation. "And" in ancient times was used to indicate the start of a sentence since everything was written in capitals without punctuation SOITLOOKEDLIKETHISANDWASREALLYHARDTOREADBUTVARIOUSWORDSWEREUSEDASPUNCTUATIONAN. In greek "kai" and "de" were used mean in "and, also" and "but, and, yet" respectively.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
13-08-2015, 05:15 AM
I think the bible is very well written but it just wasn't written in a style familiar to us. The delineation between poetry and non poetry is very new. Indeed, Aristotle called history the lowest form of poetry. Because of this the bible has many intricate structural elements to it that are lost to most modern readers. Chiasms and Numerology are good examples. There is a scene in genesis where the sons of Jacob go to Egypt with their sons and wives and there were 66 of them. Then Abraham, Joseph and his wives arrive and make 70. 6 is considered an incomplete number and 7 is considered the covenental number.

- my friend Marc