Israel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Israel
One challenge from Christians that bothers me is the argument that Israel is proof of the Bible's accuracy. I can't deny that the Bible has a lot to say about Israel, and it doesn't appear to be wrong in its predictions about the Jews. This is a subject that I haven't studied in-depth. I'm wondering how a nonbeliever should answer this challenge. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 05:19 PM
RE: Israel
The drawing up of the state of Israel was done primarily by Christian and Jewish theists.
Both of them Armageddon cults.
Prothecy my ass. The Jews seen the fundies in the USA as saps they could take advantage of.
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christia...eddon.aspx

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
13-02-2014, 05:24 PM
A broken watch is right twice a day but that doesn't mean it is working.

Just because some people drew up something doesn't mean it was the result of biblical prophecy. Plenty of cities were predicted to have been destroyed in the Bible yet weren't.

My advice is to avoid the topic altogether since the theist will only cherry pick those items that loosely could be interpreted as being predicted by the Bible and will ignore the rest. It's a fool's errand.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
13-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Self-fulfilling prophecy. They may even be the cause of WW3 and the end of the world. Still wouldn't make the bible true.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
13-02-2014, 05:47 PM
So a bunch of scattered people want to return to their mostly-empty land controlled by a foreign nation (the British). After much effort, they manage to get their state recognized. Yeah, such a good proof of the Bible.
13-02-2014, 08:19 PM
As members have stated, it was a self fulfilling prophecy.

It took decades of lobbying, wars, terrorism, and super powers working with a specific goal in mind, set out in religious manifestos, for it to come about.

And those insane (but influential) Christians in the US that want the state to be responsible for WW3/Armageddon is another self fulfilling prophecy we desperately need to keep an eye on.
13-02-2014, 08:28 PM
It's funny how some people think armageddon is coming and can't wait to bring it on.
13-02-2014, 08:41 PM
(13-02-2014 08:28 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It's funny how some people think armageddon is coming and can't wait to bring it on.

If by funny you mean creepy and worrying, then yeah.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
13-02-2014, 08:45 PM
(13-02-2014 08:41 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 08:28 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It's funny how some people think armageddon is coming and can't wait to bring it on.

If by funny you mean creepy and worrying, then yeah.
I think it's paranoia since they won't succeed. But what I find funny is that god put people on earth supposedly to destroy it with all the people on it later.
13-02-2014, 08:46 PM
its funny how 99% of the world wants an Armageddon.

Fundies want the Rapture
Atheists want a Zombie Post appoclyptica

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post