Israeli–Palestinian Conflict Documentaries?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Question Israeli–Palestinian Conflict Documentaries?
Okay, so I feel woefully guilty and embarrassed that I'm as ignorant as I am about something that is taking the lives of so many. For some reason, whenever I try to read about the history, etc. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it all. (I understand that the key issues are: mutual recognition, borders, security, water rights, control of Jerusalem, Israeli settlements, Palestinian freedom of movement, and resolving Palestinian claims of a right of return for their refugees so I'm not completely ignorant--but I'm not clear on why the conflict is suddenly getting so much more media coverage and there are other aspects of it that I'd like to understand better.)
I'm wondering if there are any good, un-biased (is that even possible?), current documentaries that explain the conflict? Please let me know if there are even any good youtube clips you can recommend.
It may make me sound stupid, but for some reason, with this issue, I feel like I need to have it all laid out for me in video form.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: Israeli–Palestinian Conflict Documentaries?
(12-08-2014 07:13 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  Okay, so I feel woefully guilty and embarrassed that I'm as ignorant as I am about something that is taking the lives of so many. For some reason, whenever I try to read about the history, etc. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it all. (I understand that the key issues are: mutual recognition, borders, security, water rights, control of Jerusalem, Israeli settlements, Palestinian freedom of movement, and resolving Palestinian claims of a right of return for their refugees so I'm not completely ignorant--but I'm not clear on why the conflict is suddenly getting so much more media coverage and there are other aspects of it that I'd like to understand better.)
I'm wondering if there are any good, un-biased (is that even possible?), current documentaries that explain the conflict? Please let me know if there are even any good youtube clips you can recommend.
It may make me sound stupid, but for some reason, with this issue, I feel like I need to have it all laid out for me in video form.

That pretty much covers it.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 08:44 PM
the first one I watched was the 50 Years war PBS. Israeli soldiers speak of receiving orders to throw grenades through the windows of every Palestinian House. they didn't want to do it. But they were following orders. I congratulate them for their honesty.
12-08-2014, 09:29 PM

More lectures/documentaries to come.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
12-08-2014, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 10:57 PM by Youkay.)
Watch this first.

It is very informative.

You could also read his book: "Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict"

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
12-08-2014, 09:36 PM
And if you like to read reports from reliable international institutions:

Amnesty International

Israel/Occupied Palestinian Territories:

"The Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory (the West Bank including East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip) is in its fifth decade and the undercurrent of violence and inherent abuses of fundamental human rights and disregard for international law inherent in any long-standing military occupation is presented by both sides. Both Israeli and Palestinian civilians continue to bear the brunt of the violence in the region."

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/count...erritories

Trigger-happy: Israel's use of excessive force in the West Bank:

"This report focuses on the use of excessive force by Israeli forces in the West Bank since the beginning of 2011. In doing so, it details cases of killings and injuries by Israeli forces of Palestinian civilians in the context of protests in the West Bank against Israel's continuing military occupation of the Palestinian territories, illegal Israeli settlements and the fence/wall, as well as Israel's treatment of Palestinian prisoners and detainees and violence against Palestinians by Israeli settlers.

Israel's policy of settling its civilians on occupied land violates the Fourth Geneva Convention and is considered a war crime according to the statute of the International Criminal Court"

http://www.amnestyusa.org/research/repor...-west-bank

UN Human Rights Watch

Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967, Richard Falk (UN Human Rights Watch)

An abiding theme of the reports of the Special Rapporteur during the past six years has been the consistent failure of Israel to comply with clear legal standards embodied in the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War (Fourth Geneva Convention) and elsewhere in international humanitarian law and international human rights law. This pattern, as will be detailed below, is flagrant in relation to the wall, settlements, East Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip, water and land resources, and the human rights of Palestinians living under occupation.

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/G...penElement

I have plenty more, if you are interested.

[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
12-08-2014, 09:39 PM
(12-08-2014 08:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

That pretty much covers it.

That pretty much showcases either

a) your ignorance (either you really don't know)
b) your indifference (or you know but you choose to simplify and misinform on purpose)

12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Documentary: To shoot an elephant

I would suggest you would listen to lectures and read reports though. Documentaries on historic or political topics in general often get people emotionally involved and have the potential to be misleading.

12-08-2014, 09:45 PM
(12-08-2014 09:36 PM)Youkay Wrote:  And if you like to read reports from reliable international institutions:

Amnesty International

Israel/Occupied Palestinian Territories:

"The Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory (the West Bank including East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip) is in its fifth decade and the undercurrent of violence and inherent abuses of fundamental human rights and disregard for international law inherent in any long-standing military occupation is presented by both sides. Both Israeli and Palestinian civilians continue to bear the brunt of the violence in the region."

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/count...erritories

Trigger-happy: Israel's use of excessive force in the West Bank:

"This report focuses on the use of excessive force by Israeli forces in the West Bank since the beginning of 2011. In doing so, it details cases of killings and injuries by Israeli forces of Palestinian civilians in the context of protests in the West Bank against Israel's continuing military occupation of the Palestinian territories, illegal Israeli settlements and the fence/wall, as well as Israel's treatment of Palestinian prisoners and detainees and violence against Palestinians by Israeli settlers.

Israel's policy of settling its civilians on occupied land violates the Fourth Geneva Convention and is considered a war crime according to the statute of the International Criminal Court"

http://www.amnestyusa.org/research/repor...-west-bank

UN Human Rights Watch

Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967, Richard Falk (UN Human Rights Watch)

An abiding theme of the reports of the Special Rapporteur during the past six years has been the consistent failure of Israel to comply with clear legal standards embodied in the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War (Fourth Geneva Convention) and elsewhere in international humanitarian law and international human rights law. This pattern, as will be detailed below, is flagrant in relation to the wall, settlements, East Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip, water and land resources, and the human rights of Palestinians living under occupation.

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/G...penElement

I have plenty more, if you are interested.
Very good sources!
[Image: ask-dad-he-knows-front.png]
12-08-2014, 11:02 PM
(12-08-2014 09:39 PM)Youkay Wrote:  That pretty much showcases either

a) your ignorance (either you really don't know)
b) your indifference (or you know but you choose to simplify and misinform on purpose)

On the contrary, it showcases my wit and taste, and your sanctimoniousness.

I defy you to explain how the video in question is either ignorant or indifferent. At worst it is detached and fatalistic.

One might, perhaps, consider my numerous other forum posts on the matter in the recent past. But that would preclude such an impulsive judgement.

... this is my signature!