Israeli–Palestinian Conflict Documentaries?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:43 PM by Youkay.)
RE: Israeli–Palestinian Conflict Documentaries?
Here is an academic paper by Prof. John J. Mearsheimer and Prof. Stephen M. Walt, if that is what you would like to use to inform yourself:

THE ISRAEL LOBBY AND U.S. FOREIGN POLICY

I can post more academic articles of this kind, if you want.

Here is a book chapter of Mearsheimer for your interest:

The future of Palestine

And an article by Mearsheimer:

Saving Israel From Itself

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
12-08-2014, 11:25 PM
(12-08-2014 11:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  On the contrary, it showcases my wit and taste, and your sanctimoniousness.

Why you wish to be witty when human rights and human lives are at stake is beyond me. I find it distasteful. But you seem to be of another sort...

The video that you shared does not only oversimplify the issue, it also misguides the attention in the wrong direction.

There is an absolute academic consensus that Israel is occuppying palestinian territorry (OPT), including east jerusalem, repeated over and over again in countless statements, papers, reports and articles. It is absolutely apparent that Israel is defying international courts and legislation. And there is also an academic consensus that the declaration of the jewish Israeli state only followed after ethnic cleansing of local palestinians. These are issues that need to be focused on.

I will continue posting lectures, papers, reports, documentaries and other resources for everyone who is honestly interested in understanding the history and current situation of this conflict. Until then, feel free to post yet another witty cartoon...

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
12-08-2014, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 12:08 AM by Youkay.)
Here are a few sources from Prof. Ian Lustick:

What Counts is the Counting: Statistical Manipulation as a Solution to Israel’s “Demographic Problem”

Israeli History: Who is Fabricating What?

Israel needs a new map

12-08-2014, 11:45 PM
In general, you can read the journal Middle East Policy Council to keep yourself informed from academic sources.

Especially this page will keep you updated on the issues.

12-08-2014, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 02:26 AM by Youkay.)
Here is an introductory publication about Hamas by Dr Knudsen and his PhD student:

Hamas and the Arab Spring: Introduction

Quote:"Officially, Hamas remains committed to its initial goals and demands. These include ending Israeli occupation, maintaining an armed resistance, insisting on the right of return for Palestinian refugees, and establishing a Palestinian state "from the river to the sea" (the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea) with Jerusalem as its capital. These goals contradict the Quartet Principles,4 which require Hamas to recognize Israel, adhere to previous agreements, and renounce violence in exchange for international recognition.

The changing regional environment, however, has forced Hamas to reevaluate its long- and short-term strategies. Most important, Hamas has pondered its positions on armed resistance, negotiations, the 1967 borders, and an "interim" vs. "final" solution to the conflict. As such, it can be argued that Hamas has come close to meeting the Quartet's demands, albeit indirectly or implicitly.

The movement has stopped short of recognizing the state of Israel, but has repeatedly offered a temporary two-state solution based on the 1967 borders. Israel has consistently either rejected or ignored this offer. Although Hamas's acceptance of a two-state solution is worded as a temporary measure, defended ideologically through the Islamic concept of hudna (long-term truce), it implies an acknowledgment of Israel's existence.5"

13-08-2014, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 08:50 PM by Youkay.)
Another source you can use to inform yourself is B'Tselem, an Israeli human rights organization.

And here is another Amnesty International report:

Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories

Quote:"A ceasefire between Israeli forces and Palestinian armed groups agreed in January 2009 was generally respected. The Israeli army maintained draconian controls on the movement of Palestinians in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT), including a blockade on the Gaza Strip that deepened hardship and virtually imprisoned the entire population of 1.5 million."

Generally, informing yourself from human rights organisations who have a record of integrity, honesty and accuracy is a good idea. They ALL agree on this topic. There is absolutely no controversy.

13-08-2014, 02:23 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 07:26 PM by Youkay.)
Solution to the Conflict

Every year, the UN assembles to seek a solution to the conflict. Based on the media hyped controversy, you would think that they would be having a hard time doing so. But no. They had it all figured out since 1970. There is absolutely no controversy in this matter. Check out the UN resolution for yourself.

UN:

Resolution adopted by the General Assembly

66/17. Peaceful settlement of the question of Palestine

You can find the results here.

Quote:Recalling its resolution 2625 (XXV) of 24 October 1970,

Reaffirming the illegality of the Israeli settlements in the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem,

Stressing the extremely detrimental impact of Israeli settlement policies, decisions and activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, on efforts to resume and advance the peace process and to achieve peace in the Middle East,

Reaffirming the illegality of Israeli actions aimed at changing the status of Jerusalem, including settlement construction and expansion, home demolitions, evictions of Palestinian residents, excavations in and around religious and historic sites, and all other unilateral measures aimed at altering the character, status and demographic composition of the city and of the Territory as a whole,

Reaffirming also that the construction by Israel, the occupying Power, of a wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including in and around East Jerusalem, and its associated regime are contrary to international law, "

etc.

13-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Keep reading left-wing Palestinian apologists, that will really give you an unbiased opinion. Laugh out load

My blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Here's a counter article to those Palestinian apologists:

Hypocrisy of 'condemn Israel' campaign

My blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2014, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 08:51 PM by Youkay.)
zaybu, I am quoting human rights watch organizations that have a record of integrity, honesty and accuracy. There is absolutely no controversy among human rights organizations regarding this matter.

Then I am presenting academic papers, which need to be peer reviewed before they can make it into journals. And if you read some academic journals, you would see that there is a great academic consensus on this topic.

Granted, books and documentaries can be biased and manipulative, which is why I did not want to share too many of those. But at least the book by Prof. Norman Finkelstein that I shared is heavily referenced and therefore very credible.

Finally I shared the UN resolution to this conflict, which has remained unchanged since 1970, demonstrating that among sincere and honest circles, there really is absolutely no controversy on this topic.

You shamelessly labeled all of these as "left-wing Palestinian apologists".

You on the other hand are providing a CNN link.

That is ridiculous. Do you honestly believe that my sources are biased while your source is not? It is like weighing the academic consensus on climate change against the media hyped controversy on the same topic and giving both sources the same credibility. Or the academic consensus on stem cell research, or on vaccination... The list goes on. While academic circles and human rights organizations have a record of honesty and accuracy, media outlets have a record of manipulation and misinformation.

It is seriously embarrassing and speaks volumes that you provided that link in response.