Issue at school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Issue at school
Speech class last night, this is a requirement for all degrees offered...we have been giving demonstration speeches for the last three weeks. Mini-lessons, if you will, on how to do something. We were to include materials, how to do the activity, why we do it, etc. We were to bring props and/or power points.

Topics included things like sewing, cooking, drawing, changing the oil in a car, drawing blood work, hair weaving, and some other topics. All in all okay. Some well done and interesting.

Since it's a night class there are a lot of ages in the class. The majority are of the age group you would expect to find in college.

Last night a woman got up and in great detail explained where to get the parts needed and how to assemble a very large beer bong. She then actually made one. Now, there has been a lot of exposure on the news about the dangers of binge drinking and deaths of college kids because of it. We won't even go into the fact that some of the students are well below the legal drinking age.

I was/am very upset that this was allowed. I know that kids can learn how to make these online or from friends. It seems to me that this kind of demonstration in an academic setting was not appropriate. The school frequently sends out messages warning against such things...this flies in the face of those warning, IMO.

I probably would have been a little less upset had there been some sort of disclaimer regarding the potential danger and illegality of this activity for certain member of the class.

Am I out of line? I think the teacher should have pulled the presenter out of class and asked her to come back next week with a different topic. This was a woman around 40...she thought the whole thing was funny. I thought it was irresponsible. We were cautioned not to bring guns or knives or even scissors because they are dangerous. What the hell?

I am still cranky about it.

After others finished their presentations, class members asked questions. After this one...nothing. I don't think I was the only one that was uncomfortable.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-03-2013, 11:00 PM
RE: Issue at school
(22-03-2013 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Speech class last night, this is a requirement for all degrees offered...we have been giving demonstration speeches for the last three weeks. Mini-lessons, if you will, on how to do something. We were to include materials, how to do the activity, why we do it, etc. We were to bring props and/or power points.

Topics included things like sewing, cooking, drawing, changing the oil in a car, drawing blood work, hair weaving, and some other topics. All in all okay. Some well done and interesting.

Since it's a night class there are a lot of ages in the class. The majority are of the age group you would expect to find in college.

Last night a woman got up and in great detail explained where to get the parts needed and how to assemble a very large beer bong. She then actually made one. Now, there has been a lot of exposure on the news about the dangers of binge drinking and deaths of college kids because of it. We won't even go into the fact that some of the students are well below the legal drinking age.

I was/am very upset that this was allowed. I know that kids can learn how to make these online or from friends. It seems to me that this kind of demonstration in an academic setting was not appropriate. The school frequently sends out messages warning against such things...this flies in the face of those warning, IMO.

I probably would have been a little less upset had there been some sort of disclaimer regarding the potential danger and illegality of this activity for certain member of the class.

Am I out of line? I think the teacher should have pulled the presenter out of class and asked her to come back next week with a different topic. This was a woman around 40...she thought the whole thing was funny. I thought it was irresponsible. We were cautioned not to bring guns or knives or even scissors because they are dangerous. What the hell?

After others finished their presentations, class members asked questions. After this one...nothing. I don't think I was the only one that was uncomfortable.
Hardly a worthwhile skill. Hopefully the professor will sandbag their grade on the project for that.

Thank god she wasn't demonstrating how to grow weed.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Personally I don't think it's a big deal. Not a project that I would have done, but I don't think it's 'wrong'. From what you've said the student in question didn't break any laws, nor did he/she promote an illegal activity. Is it a dumb activity? Yeah. Is binge drinking smart/safe? No. But from what I can tell he/she didn't make any violations. Plenty of people do and say plenty of things that I don't like, but sometimes you just have to deal with it. That's my opinion.

For contrast I taught students how to electroplate at home with household materials when I did this lesson.

23-03-2013, 03:31 AM
I understand why you would be uncomfortable, but I take the opposing view. Colleges and universities are supposed to be centers for thinking, learning, exploring, experiencing. If we start censoring them, even a little, then what we're doing is sacrificing the free exchange of ideas, of knowledge, on the altar of political correctness.

I don't think centers of higher education are the proper venue for censorship or for blocking the exchange of ideas or for limiting what we can and/or should think about.

I do agree with you that someone responsible for that class (the presenter of the topic or the professor in charge) should have explained something about the dangers involved. But even that might be an exercise in futility; those old/wise/mature enough to heed such a warning already know it, and those young/reckless/immature enough to actually create and use a beer bong would not be likely to heed the warning. Still would have been a good idea, even if it would have been the verbal equivalent of pissing in the wind.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
23-03-2013, 03:46 AM
I had to google 'beer bong' as I had never heard of one before.

Thanks Ang, I'm gonna make me one, now. I'm obliged for the information.

23-03-2013, 05:12 AM
I don't think this sounds inappropriate to the point of pulling her out and asking to try again, but it does sound tacky. However, the marks aren't based on tackiness but on how well she did in speech. Was she speaking strictly on the assembly or also on the use? You could have asked her what the cons of using it are. Like you said, the information is available on the net for anyone to view (ahem, DLJ), so really what can the teacher say? (Are beer bongs actually illegal? Or did you mean the underage drinking?)

My sister once got a job from an interview by instructing on how to make the perfect martini. Her last interview she got the job by presenting how to survive a zombie apocalypse. These interviews were for serious positions in the medical field. So, sometimes it's not about the subject matter at all.
23-03-2013, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 06:00 AM by Anjele.)
LJ, I meant the underage drinking being illegal.

The guy who showed how to change the oil in a car went over safety measures if you had to put the car on ramps and mentioned that you should be sure to let the car cool so you avoided getting burned with hot oil. A young woman showed how to take old crayons and melt them, and mold them, into big chunky ones for small kids. She mentioned that while doing this she found out how flammable the wax is and warned as to temperature and time to avoid a fire. At the least, I think there should have been some mention of the potential danger of consuming alcohol in this manner and the legal issue for those that were under age.

I know that topics come up that make people uncomfortable. My thought was also that teaching how to do this when the school puts out bulletins on the dangers of binge drinking was a pretty large contradiction in messages. Doing it in an academic setting when the primary audience is underage is not a good plan.

The instructor said nothing.

Edited to add...I did ask the presenter, before her speech, if this was a good topic choice for a college class, she just laughed.

Next week...how to build your own meth lab. Dodgy

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
23-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Girly would've demonstrated the construction of an exit bag. ... Beer bong seems harmless by comparison.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
23-03-2013, 02:00 PM
(22-03-2013 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Speech class last night, this is a requirement for all degrees offered...we have been giving demonstration speeches for the last three weeks. Mini-lessons, if you will, on how to do something. We were to include materials, how to do the activity, why we do it, etc. We were to bring props and/or power points.

It really was a poor choice of presentation and it was up to the professor to properly filter the allowable topics. And since other subjects were banned perhaps this one should have been as well. I certainly understand your crankiness.

Calm down, deep breath, have a beer or two and carry on Smartass

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Summer field school in Africa ghostexorcist 50 881 19-07-2014 07:23 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The Time issue of your birthday The Germans are coming 42 808 29-12-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  School...running out of steam Anjele 7 198 03-12-2013 03:31 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  I wish this genius would have spoken at my school. So inspirational! LostandInsecure 5 274 16-11-2013 02:48 AM
Last Post: LostandInsecure
  Part of the build team from Mythbusters is coming to my school ghostexorcist 7 241 24-08-2013 12:55 PM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  Religion & the school AlaskaMom 2 269 15-05-2013 04:36 PM
Last Post: amyb
  NDT is coming to my school ghostexorcist 27 883 26-04-2013 05:04 PM
Last Post: Chas