Issues with Miller-Urey experiment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Issues with Miller-Urey experiment?
Often, when a thesit dismisses abiogenesis, they will not accept any information from the Miller-Urey experiment as evidence. They say that it's been proven wrong.

I don't know a lot about abiogenesis. Is there some newer model that is now used to explain this, are the theists just throwing out evidence they don't like, or what? I'm wondering if there is something else I should be referencing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2015, 01:34 PM
RE: Issues with Miller-Urey experiment?
It's not proven wrong, it's just not proven that it can certainly create more than the acids/whatnots

There's also more info these days that the element of Earth at the time may of been somewhat different than the experiment I think...

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-07-2015, 01:49 PM
From what I've read on it, ClydeLee nailed it. The mixture that they used doesn't match what we now think actually existed so theists can say that it doesn't represent early earth conditions and therefore means nothing.

What it does show is that given basic chemicals and energy the reactions can start pointing towards life pretty quickly. Scientists have also identified amino acids in meteorites and in space so it seems like the earliest steps towards life are pretty easy to take.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Theists want the exact conditions and exact reactions that culminated in humans, which is impossible and asinine.
They presuppose that humans are meant to be here, instead of realizing that over 99% of all species that have lived on this planet are extinct, thus we are very likely to be here in this very hostile environment.

The U-M experiments demonstrate that the building blocks of life are possible by natural means. It was never meant to recreate the exact soup recipe that culminated in us. It was meant to show that soup was possible.
15-07-2015, 02:18 PM
It's funny they need precise evidence for how abiogenesis could occur but... well you see where I'm going with this.
[+] 9 users Like pablo's post
15-07-2015, 02:23 PM
The fact is that many amino acids are present in comets from the Oort Cloud. Whether they formed here on Earth or not isn't terribly germane. The fact is, the clearly form in many different environs.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1...on-a-comet
16-07-2015, 05:32 AM
The atmospheric conditions the pair were trying to replicate turned out not to be similar to early earth atmosphere after all, so the experiment was "wrong" in that sense.

Claire covered it briefly in her latest geology brief, and will be covering earth's atmosphere further in the coming weeks:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
16-07-2015, 05:53 AM
(15-07-2015 01:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  From what I've read on it, ClydeLee nailed it. The mixture that they used doesn't match what we now think actually existed so theists can say that it doesn't represent early earth conditions and therefore means nothing.

What it does show is that given basic chemicals and energy the reactions can start pointing towards life pretty quickly. Scientists have also identified amino acids in meteorites and in space so it seems like the earliest steps towards life are pretty easy to take.

That was the impression I was getting, but it was hard to get a straight answer. Thanks.

(15-07-2015 02:05 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Theists want the exact conditions and exact reactions that culminated in humans, which is impossible and asinine.

So, basically like how they demand to see all the missing links in all species, and won't accept "macro" evolution unless they can witness it happening in their life times.

Sigh. I guess this is one of those discussions I'm going to stop having with certain types of people. Thanks, guys! Big Grin
16-07-2015, 06:50 AM
(16-07-2015 05:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, basically like how they demand to see all the missing links in all species, and won't accept "macro" evolution unless they can witness it happening in their life times.

Sigh. I guess this is one of those discussions I'm going to stop having with certain types of people. Thanks, guys! Big Grin

[australianaccent]Exactly! You weren't there, so you couldn't observe it. Creationism is the only viable model of Historical Science confirmed by Observational Science today.[/australianaccent]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
16-07-2015, 06:57 AM
I have also heard the argument that all they got out of the experiment was more chemicals. There was no life created so it doesn't show that life can create itself.

They apparently expect a lizard to crawl out of the mix and anything less is just chemistry and not related to life. Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post