Issues with Miller-Urey experiment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 08:24 AM
RE: Issues with Miller-Urey experiment?
As has been stated above, there is controversy about the early atmosphere conditions not matching the conditions used by Miller and Urey. The story doesn't stop there however. The latest research has shown that the several of the amino acids and ribonucleotides can form from hydrogen cyanide and hydrogen sulfide as the reductant and UV light. So while there are questions about the Miller-Urey experiment, there are other pathways for the formation of the amino acids. It is typical of creationists to not keep up with the latest research. Amino acids have also been found on meteors (and some of these have been enantioenriched) suggesting that multiple conditions (not just the Miller-Urey conditions) can lead to the formation of amino acids.

The inquisition posted this earlier:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-conundrum

Here is a link to a pdf of the article (if your institution has a subscription to Nature).

http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v7/n...m.2202.pdf

If you want the article and don't have a subscription, I'll be glad to e-mail you the pdf. Figure 1 shows the pathway for the formation of the amino acids and ribonucleotides. Alanine, Serine, Proline, etc. can be formed from HCN. As a chemist, the thing that impresses me about these pathways is that they are really straight forward using well established reactions. In other words, there is nothing magical or a stretch about the formation of these amino acids.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Things have come a long way since Miller-Urey.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-07-2015, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2015 12:57 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
Ray Comfort won't accept evolution until he sees one rock turn into a fully mature male dog and another turn into a mature female dog at approximately the same time so they can mate and give birth to a litter of crocoducks.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 8 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
16-07-2015, 12:43 PM
(16-07-2015 11:25 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Ray Comfort won't be accept evolution until he sees one rock turn into a fully mature male dog and another turn into a mature female dog at approximately the same time so they can mate and give birth to a litter of crocoducks.

I'd pay to see that myself
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
16-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Panspermia

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
20-07-2015, 05:46 AM
(16-07-2015 06:57 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I have also heard the argument that all they got out of the experiment was more chemicals. There was no life created so it doesn't show that life can create itself.

They apparently expect a lizard to crawl out of the mix and anything less is just chemistry and not related to life. Facepalm

So, if they can't prove straw-abiogenesis or straw-evolution from an experiment, then abiogenesis and evolution must be false. Got it.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-07-2015, 01:41 AM
(15-07-2015 02:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's funny they need precise evidence for how abiogenesis could occur but... well you see where I'm going with this.
Well god just thunk it and that's all we needs ta no.
21-07-2015, 09:29 AM
(16-07-2015 01:04 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Panspermia

How'd you know my nickname in college? Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson