It’s what the Bible doesn’t say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 02:53 PM
RE: It’s what the Bible doesn’t say
(31-05-2012 02:28 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(31-05-2012 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The lack of advanced science and scientifically incorrect data in the Bible have no effect on proving/disproving falsehood

You are correct. No matter how erroneous the Bible is it does not disprove the existence of a god, just the described Christian god. A god may yet still exist. What I argue is that the document itself is highly suspect as declared divine truth.

(31-05-2012 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God used communication styles and languages via authors, so that the people of the time could understand what He wanted. This is the inspired nature of the Bible.

Not intending to quote you out of context, but this is the classic defense complete. I cannot prove your statement in not true. What I can infer is that the idea of giving people wrong information because they are scientifically ignorant is not rational when similar information could have easily sufficed. Also, the obvious misunderstandings of the world smells too much like human superstition. As there is amply reason to believe it human guesswork, and no reason to believe it divine knowledge, we must accept human guesswork as the most rational position. Of course we could just believe that an all-knowing god gave incorrect information to humans for no apparent reason and our reasoning ability does not grasp the big picture. This would be irrational to believe true, even if it is true.

You make good points.

There is no way I can explain why God chose to communicate they way He did.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2012, 02:56 PM
(31-05-2012 02:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-05-2012 02:28 PM)Thomas Wrote:  You are correct. No matter how erroneous the Bible is it does not disprove the existence of a god, just the described Christian god. A god may yet still exist. What I argue is that the document itself is highly suspect as declared divine truth.

Not intending to quote you out of context, but this is the classic defense complete. I cannot prove your statement in not true. What I can infer is that the idea of giving people wrong information because they are scientifically ignorant is not rational when similar information could have easily sufficed. Also, the obvious misunderstandings of the world smells too much like human superstition. As there is amply reason to believe it human guesswork, and no reason to believe it divine knowledge, we must accept human guesswork as the most rational position. Of course we could just believe that an all-knowing god gave incorrect information to humans for no apparent reason and our reasoning ability does not grasp the big picture. This would be irrational to believe true, even if it is true.

You make good points.

There is no way I can explain why God chose to communicate they way He did.

Would you agree with Kierkegaard, that belief is basically a "leap of faith"?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
31-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah, based on my previous dissertation about proving God empirically, I would say (and believe) that faith is necessary for belief in a Christian God and Bible. There are also instances that can only be accepted by faith due to lack of provable data.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Going off on tangent here, but KC check out Kierkegaard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology_of...ierkegaard
I'm not a big Wiki fan unless I know something already. They do him a decent turn. I find him quite good on the philosophical level and as a theologian no one today could hold their ground against him IMO.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
31-05-2012, 10:16 PM
A lot of things could have been done differently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngM-hZGYKgE
[+] 1 user Likes Noelani's post
01-06-2012, 04:50 AM
(31-05-2012 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think you and me have discussed this before ( I could be wrong).

The lack of advanced science and scientifically incorrect data in the Bible have no effect on proving/disproving falsehood.

The Bible isn't a science book. It never claimed to be. That's not its goal. It's the stories and instructions that are important. Remember, there is a huge difference between inspired and literally inerrant.

The scientific information or lack there of was because it was written by/to a culture that was scientifically ignorant and/or had a wrong understanding of science because of their primitive understandings.

God used communication styles and languages via authors, so that the people of the time could understand what He wanted. This is the inspired nature of the Bible.

Yes, talking about DNA would give more credibility to the Bible, but that wasn't the purpose or the concern of God. He was giving instructions to His people and His elect.
Did you see the video I posted here? If God was real, he very well could have given the necessary instructions in a way that scientifically ignorant people understood and still be accurate.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
(01-06-2012 04:50 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Did you see the video I posted here? If God was real, he very well could have given the necessary instructions in a way that scientifically ignorant people understood and still be accurate.

Yes. Well done and covers it nicely. I saved a link in my archives.