It (2017)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 08:51 AM
It (2017)
I thoroughly enjoyed the remake of It. I wasn't sure how I liked Skarsgård's portrayal of Pennywise at first, but it grew on me. As someone who grew up with the hokey 90s version, this was a nice remake. It also only focuses on the first half of the book (when they were kids). This gave them more room to work with, so they didn't have to cut out as much.

A few visual effects I liked:
  • The rows of fish-like teeth it has when getting ready to feed.
  • When getting ready to feed, its eyes roll back, similar to a shark's.
  • The whole portrait lady scene, where Stan fixes a crooked picture of a very unsettling portrait. The woman in the portrait has pure white eyes and no mouth, as well as a misshapen head. The picture falls, and when he hangs it back up, it's just a portrait of the background. Cue the woman from the portrait emerging from the shadows behind him, and a smile of those same fish-like teeth appearing on her face.

Also, Richie's endless stream of dick/your mom jokes and swearing were a nice touch.

Richie: Why'd I have to draw the short straw? You guys are lucky we weren't measuring dicks.

Ben: Derry started as a beaver trapping town.
Richie, holding up his hand: And it still is, am I right, boys!?

Eddie, complaining about the sewer: I'm itchy.
Richie: Do you share a bathroom with your mom?

Richie: And look at this motherfucker! He's leaking Hamburger Helper!

...Now, to wait two years for part two. Sigh.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2017, 09:07 AM
RE: It (2017)
I quite enjoyed the novel.

I think I only watched part of the first effort, then bailed.

Or at least it was so unremarkable, I don't remember any of it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Saw this on FB yesterday, thought it was funny.
[Image: vbKZRWJ.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
11-09-2017, 09:19 AM
(11-09-2017 09:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I quite enjoyed the novel.

The book is really good, until some of the latter chapters were it goes a bit bonkers. Apparently that is attributed to Stephen King being on the ole Cocaine at the time...but yeah..mental.

The first TV movie/mini-series with Tim Curry, is good in places but also total garbage in other places. You can tell it's a 90's TV thing, is all I can really say about it. The stuff with the kids = pretty good. The stuff with the grown ups = fairly bad. Tim Curry is great as pennywise, and is actually pretty funny at times.

I am hopefully off to watch this during the week, and it does look pretty good, so if it's better than the original....I'll be happy with that.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2017, 11:30 AM
(11-09-2017 09:19 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  The first TV movie/mini-series with Tim Curry, is good in places but also total garbage in other places. You can tell it's a 90's TV thing, is all I can really say about it. The stuff with the kids = pretty good. The stuff with the grown ups = fairly bad. Tim Curry is great as pennywise, and is actually pretty funny at times.

I am hopefully off to watch this during the week, and it does look pretty good, so if it's better than the original....I'll be happy with that.

Well, this one only focuses on the kids, so you'll be comparing it to the best parts of the 90s version. I agree that the adult section of the 90s movie wasn't as good.
11-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Never really got into King. Cujo was about the only I paid attention to.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2017, 01:11 PM
(11-09-2017 09:19 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 09:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I quite enjoyed the novel.

The book is really good, until some of the latter chapters were it goes a bit bonkers. Apparently that is attributed to Stephen King being on the ole Cocaine at the time...but yeah..mental.

I didn't know that -- but it totally explains the long chapters on developing characters that later didn't matter.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-09-2017, 01:21 PM
(11-09-2017 01:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 09:19 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  The book is really good, until some of the latter chapters were it goes a bit bonkers. Apparently that is attributed to Stephen King being on the ole Cocaine at the time...but yeah..mental.

I didn't know that -- but it totally explains the long chapters on developing characters that later didn't matter.

It also explains why there's so goddamned much coke in so many of his books..

Like Ace Merrill all cranked up in Needful Things....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Out of curiosity, did they all run the train on the girl like in the book? I was really wondering how they would handle that one. Even in the book, I was reading that and really confused as to why he included that. You could just have had pretty much the entire scene and stopped when she suggested they all screw her and it really didn't matter in terms of the story.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-09-2017, 02:35 PM
(11-09-2017 02:26 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Out of curiosity, did they all run the train on the girl like in the book? I was really wondering how they would handle that one. Even in the book, I was reading that and really confused as to why he included that. You could just have had pretty much the entire scene and stopped when she suggested they all screw her and it really didn't matter in terms of the story.

That was not included (thankfully). There's a blood oath/hand-holding thing at the end. I can't remember if that was in the book, or if it was the stand-in for the book orgy. Either way, I'm glad there was no underage sewer orgy.

When I read that part of the book, the part of me that was most offended was that it was completely unnecessary.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post