It feels good knowing you aren't alone... but what if you were?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
RE: It feels good knowing you aren't alone... but what if you were?
I would feel insane.

Not only that I wouldn't be likely to say much about my lack of belief for fear of being locked up or killed.
I might casually say things in hypothetical ways to see what other people really thought or to get them thinking, but if the numbers were that great I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Sometimes I feel insane now, more so than normal. Like there must be some piece I'm missing that is the obvious and incontrovertible proof of god. It seems like utter lunacy for so many people to not only believe in god, but to claim he is loving, and then to immediately be comfortable killing for that same peaceful loving god.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
If everyone else was but me, and the penalty for disbelief was death, I would think "wow, there must be a lot of others like me, just too terrified to say they don't believe too".

Of course, if the penalty was death, there would be no proof they would kill people if they didn't believe, and if they did kill people I wouldn't be the only one (as if they killed one, others may stay quiet, and even if not, I was never the only one). Other than that though... I'd probably hide away, or infiltrate the highest position--and mess with the people. I'd probably figure if they would kill people for not believing, they'd just find some other reason eventually--might as well give them a reason (and maybe start a revolution).
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 07:26 PM
(08-04-2012 10:39 PM)Logisch Wrote:  - Would you find a way to speak up anonymously? Try and cast that seed of doubt to hope others may see the actual truth?
- Would you convert out of fear?
- Would you speak up to simply "get it over with" so you weren't in that world?
- Would you keep quiet and enjoy the revelation of knowing you're the only person to see the truth, hoping one day humanity might see the truth?

How would you feel? Would you feel you're crazy? Mentally wrong? Do you think perhaps you might question your sanity?

If you were the only atheist... how would you feel?

I would assume that I was wrong. What are the chances that you are the only one who knows the truth? It's unlikely, even if it makes perfect logical sense to you. I wouldn't feel "crazy" or "mentally wrong", but I would certainly doubt the methods that led me to believe that everyone was wrong and only I had the true answer... although speaking of crazy or mental, that is typically what we consider people who hold conspiracy theories by themselves.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user