It feels like "A Beautiful Mind"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 11:55 AM
It feels like "A Beautiful Mind"
Had anyone ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind" about John Nash who was a mathematician that won the Nobel Prize? Anyway he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and some other mental illness. His best friend through his University life and large part of his life was nothing more than his imagination.

I feel like leaving behind religion is kind of like that. It was like trying to say goodbye to friends that never existed but you were so sure that they had been around you all these times and helped you through some of the toughest time in your life. It is kind of heart breaking, but nonetheless, liberating.

Though, I have a great fear. Before, I found peace in prayers when I encountered life problems, when something happened to me or someone I care for, when tragedy happens and you feel like the things you can't control are all going to be taken care of. I honestly don't know how I am going to deal with it now....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 12:09 PM
RE: It feels like "A Beautiful Mind"
(26-07-2016 11:55 AM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Had anyone ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind" about John Nash who was a mathematician that won the Nobel Prize? Anyway he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and some other mental illness. His best friend through his University life and large part of his life was nothing more than his imagination.

I feel like leaving behind religion is kind of like that. It was like trying to say goodbye to friends that never existed but you were so sure that they had been around you all these times and helped you through some of the toughest time in your life. It is kind of heart breaking, but nonetheless, liberating.

Though, I have a great fear. Before, I found peace in prayers when I encountered life problems, when something happened to me or someone I care for, when tragedy happens and you feel like the things you can't control are all going to be taken care of. I honestly don't know how I am going to deal with it now....

A theist simply "prays" and waits for problems to resolve themselves....

An atheist thinks things through and applies the best solutions they can think up.....

Guess which one works better????

(hint -- if your house is on fire -- praying might make you feel better -- but it's not going to put out the fire...)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-07-2016, 01:22 PM
(26-07-2016 12:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A theist simply "prays" and waits for problems to resolve themselves....

An atheist thinks things through and applies the best solutions they can think up.....

(hint -- if your house is on fire -- praying might make you feel better -- but it's not going to put out the fire...)

Hence, I am here.

I meant problems or things that are beyond what I can do.
26-07-2016, 01:31 PM
(26-07-2016 01:22 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 12:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A theist simply "prays" and waits for problems to resolve themselves....

Hence, I am here.

I meant problems or things that are beyond what I can do.

From what I see, shaking a strong belief is very similar to grieving. There is something that had a dominant position in your life for a long time and now it's gone. Your mind keeps getting triggered at first. But there will be less and less triggers as time goes, until your thinking about religion will be all voluntary and purposeful as opposed to a mindless reaction.

It gets better.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-07-2016, 02:10 PM
(26-07-2016 01:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  From what I see, shaking a strong belief is very similar to grieving. There is something that had a dominant position in your life for a long time and now it's gone. Your mind keeps getting triggered at first. But there will be less and less triggers as time goes, until your thinking about religion will be all voluntary and purposeful as opposed to a mindless reaction.

It gets better.

There should be a rehabilitation center for religion addicts LOL. Because this is what it feels like.
[+] 1 user Likes TheMoralist's post
26-07-2016, 02:46 PM
(26-07-2016 02:10 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  There should be a rehabilitation center for religion addicts LOL. Because this is what it feels like.

You aren't alone in thinking that
http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-07-2016, 05:20 PM
(26-07-2016 02:46 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You aren't alone in thinking that
http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/

Lol that is pretty awesome actually. Because relapse happens
02-08-2016, 12:36 AM
I really like your comparison of "A Beautiful Mind" and what it's like to go through the de-conversion process. It definitely feels that way.