It happened for a reason

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2015, 06:09 AM
It happened for a reason
Yesterday my brother went into a mini rant about how it's good to believe that any negative thing that happens to you, happens for a reason and if you accept the negative then something positive will come from it.

I replied "But there is a huge negative side in believing that way. When you are willing to accept negative things, you are setting yourself on a dangerous path. If you lose control and hit your wife, do you accept that it happened for a reason and do it again in the future ? Does she accept that it happened for a reason and continue to accept the abuse ? If your teenage daughter is about to be raped, will she not fight back and accept that this is happening for a reason ?

I understand that you think "I got this flat tire out in the country and the person who stopped to help just happens to be looking for a construction crew to build an addition onto his house. If I didn't get that flat tire then we wouldn't have got this job. It happened for a reason."

Nothing wrong with finding a silver lining in a bad situation but thinking it happened for a reason, you are also thinking that god is directing your path and causing the negative things with the expectation of receiving something positive down the road.

You are taking every day coincidences and giving them a kind of magical status because something good came from it.

There are horrible things that happen to people out in the world and your way of thinking accepts it all as "Hey, this famine and starvation and hundreds of thousands of lives lost must be happening for a reason, as in, its part of god's plan."

Your thinking produces apathy because it causes you to accept it and do nothing to change it because you believe that something good will come from it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2015, 06:45 AM
RE: It happened for a reason
I imagine his counter would be that he means to adopt the attitude of assuming negative things happen for a reason, not to passively let bad things happen.

That being said, even if that is his position, it still relies on a bunch of presupposition of nonfalsifiable things. I would have counted with: "Can you prove that God isn't evil and that good things don't happen for a reason?". Technically speaking, that line of thinking is just as valid, has just as much evidence for it (none), and can't be proven wrong once you start down that road of presupposition.
17-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Shit happens.

Reason?

There's so many assholes out there.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-06-2015, 07:27 AM
This is one of my least favorite comments that I hear. It is bad philosophy, bad thinking, and bad advice. It manages to combine the maximum of ignorance with the maximum of arrogance. And it's the intellectual offspring of Leibniz's ludicrous claim that "this is the best of all possible worlds." IMO it betrays enormous deceit and willful negligence.

I can't see how it might be a good thing to tell myself, if I were to indulge in wish-thinking, that everything happens for a reason. The only conclusion is that whoever or whatever designs and plans those reasons is utterly cold, capricious, heartless and cruel.

All it takes is to discard the vain notion that everything happens for a reason is to imagine one small way that one small thing could be better. It would be better if everyone suffered a little less.

**Crickets** -- God
17-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't see anything of value in such view but said view can be somewhat comforting to victims of mass killings, forced famine or other events of this kind, or at least Jörg Baberowski in Verbrannte Erde. Stalins Herrschaft der Gewalt claims so. Soviets citzens prefered to believe that their relatives were arrested or killed for a particular reason rather than by accident or just to fill the quota.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Things do happen for reasons, thats is, they have actual causes.
It's when we ignore the actual causes, and start applying magical 'reasons' to them that we start veering into the realm of ignorant superstition.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
17-06-2015, 11:21 AM
I have always hated that saying and frequently get into a rant about it when some family member blurts it out. Why do folks have the need for there to be a reason and purpose to everything? Another damn coping mechanism for keeping the good feels going strong, and to explain that their god is good (even though it appears he does not care for them all that much sometimes).

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —