It is what is NOT in the Bible that bothers me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2017, 07:35 PM
It is what is NOT in the Bible that bothers me
My biggest issue with the holy books and the religions that claim a revelation of some sort is that nothing in the revelation is ever included that could not have been written by the people of the day. God could have told us about bacteria and infections/illness. He could have told us the earth orbits the sun or given us a combustion engine, the secrets of renewable energy or a telescope or mentioned that that e=mc2. But no, instead we get a magic trick, water to wine. Jesus cures a few lepers. He does’t eradicate leprosy, no. It just smacks of human mediocrity.

don't believe everything you think
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like church_organ's post
21-07-2017, 08:22 PM
RE: It is what is NOT in the Bible that bothers me
[Image: UCIFQKE.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
21-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Yeah totally agree my jaw drops when it is suggested that the bible is the most perfect amazing work of blah blah blah. Not only is it a work of its time and place it seems patently obvious it is a work of its time and place. I don't remember who suggested but someone said it would be really convincing if God made every bible indestructable. That would do it for me, I would get on board.

[+] 4 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
22-07-2017, 12:34 AM
The Bible has no mention of puppies, kittens or cute baby squirrels. How can I possibly believe anything else the Bible says?

Checkmate, Christians!

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 5 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
22-07-2017, 04:54 AM
(21-07-2017 07:35 PM)church_organ Wrote:  My biggest issue with the holy books and the religions that claim a revelation of some sort is that nothing in the revelation is ever included that could not have been written by the people of the day. God could have told us about bacteria and infections/illness. He could have told us the earth orbits the sun or given us a combustion engine, the secrets of renewable energy or a telescope or mentioned that that e=mc2. But no, instead we get a magic trick, water to wine. Jesus cures a few lepers. He does’t eradicate leprosy, no. It just smacks of human mediocrity.

This goes with any religion, even those of Asia and India and Japan. Nobody in antiquity had any modern scientific knowledge. Not even Buddhism, Jainism or Taoism. or Shintoism.

You wont find any modern medicine or modern quantum formulas in those traditions either. There is absolutely nothing scientifically predictive about those traditions either.

The truth of all of antiquity worldwide is we as a collective species were clueless and religions were simply a ignorant way of gap filling.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
22-07-2017, 05:30 AM
(21-07-2017 07:35 PM)church_organ Wrote:  My biggest issue with the holy books and the religions that claim a revelation of some sort is that nothing in the revelation is ever included that could not have been written by the people of the day. God could have told us about bacteria and infections/illness. He could have told us the earth orbits the sun or given us a combustion engine, the secrets of renewable energy or a telescope or mentioned that that e=mc2. But no, instead we get a magic trick, water to wine. Jesus cures a few lepers. He does’t eradicate leprosy, no. It just smacks of human mediocrity.

> The Bible is clearly the work of fallible men who didn't have even the equivalent of a first grade science education. It reflects the superstitions, prejudices, ignorance and fears of the times in which it was written. It is no more credible than the scriptures of other religions. Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
22-07-2017, 05:38 AM
Gods never impart knowledge. They give orders through the chosen prophets. (The prophets said so. Why would they make up a story about "god" loving those who give generously - of the money earned from hard work contributing to society - to the unemployed prophets?
That's just crazy.)

Which is why indoctrination has to start before kids are old enough to realize religion is an empty shell, so they can't tell the difference between being a human and being "religious".

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
22-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Let's pretend that there are some intelligent string people that exist on a quark somewhere on the tip of my fingernail.

This is how far removed a god would be, in my opinion, from us. There is nothing that I could say to string people and if their entire civilization rose to power and completely died off in a millisecond, frankly I wouldn't have a clue that they even existed.

Men create books and tell fictional stories for our entertainment.

If a god exists, it wouldn't even know that we ever existed, much less care if we ate shrimp or not.

Come on now.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
22-07-2017, 09:06 AM
But it's hilarious when defending the bible or Koran vague depictions of the interactive workings of the body are noted as profound for them knowledge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Things that are also missing:

-Don't rape people

-Don't have slaves

-Don't go kill everyone in a town, even if you think God is telling you to

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post