It's Better To Say "I Don't Know" Than To Bullshit Yourself That You Do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 06:09 PM
It's Better To Say "I Don't Know" Than To Bullshit Yourself That You Do
This is the response I give for the "Atheists can't explain everything" excuse that creationists often use. Well, we don't claim to be able to explain everything. We've found a lot of answers to questions that humans attributed to a god in the past. No, we haven't answered ALL of the questions yet, but we admit it to ourselves when we don't know something and focus on finding the answer. I find it amusing that creationists use the "everything comes from something, therefor the universe could not always have existed" as an excuse, while at the same time saying "God has always existed!" That is blatant hypocrisy.

Hasn't our society advanced enough in technology that we can say "I don't know, but let's try to find the answer", instead of saying "It's because of an invisible man in the sky. I have no proof for his existence, but since you don't have an answer, then my answer is correct!"?

It takes a lot more maturity to admit that you don't know something than it does to use something you've been indoctrinated with as an answer when you have no proof. The difference between creationists and atheists is that atheists don't comfort themselves with bullshit for questions that they can't answer.

So, creationists, we admit that we don't know everything about the universe, but neither do you. What you know is what you have been indoctrinated with.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
15-01-2014, 06:11 PM
RE: It's Better To Say "I Don't Know" Than To Bullshit Yourself That You Do
agreed.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Agreed, I'd also add admitting your wrong is better than refusing to do so out of pride Yes

I try to do both when the opportunities present themselves.
15-01-2014, 06:43 PM
(15-01-2014 06:09 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  This is the response I give for the "Atheists can't explain everything" excuse that creationists often use. Well, we don't claim to be able to explain everything. We've found a lot of answers to questions that humans attributed to a god in the past. No, we haven't answered ALL of the questions yet, but we admit it to ourselves when we don't know something and focus on finding the answer. I find it amusing that creationists use the "everything comes from something, therefor the universe could not always have existed" as an excuse, while at the same time saying "God has always existed!" That is blatant hypocrisy.

Hasn't our society advanced enough in technology that we can say "I don't know, but let's try to find the answer", instead of saying "It's because of an invisible man in the sky. I have no proof for his existence, but since you don't have an answer, then my answer is correct!"?

It takes a lot more maturity to admit that you don't know something than it does to use something you've been indoctrinated with as an answer when you have no proof. The difference between creationists and atheists is that atheists don't comfort themselves with bullshit for questions that they can't answer.

So, creationists, we admit that we don't know everything about the universe, but neither do you. What you know is what you have been indoctrinated with.
What is your answer to this question:
is it possible that Noah story was true(flood)?
1)I don't know
2)possible
3)not possible

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
15-01-2014, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 07:37 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(15-01-2014 06:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 06:09 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  This is the response I give for the "Atheists can't explain everything" excuse that creationists often use. Well, we don't claim to be able to explain everything. We've found a lot of answers to questions that humans attributed to a god in the past. No, we haven't answered ALL of the questions yet, but we admit it to ourselves when we don't know something and focus on finding the answer. I find it amusing that creationists use the "everything comes from something, therefor the universe could not always have existed" as an excuse, while at the same time saying "God has always existed!" That is blatant hypocrisy.

1)I don't know
2)possible
3)not possible

3) Not possible

It is not possible for the entire Earth to flood. The amount of water on our planet never changes. What evaporates to water vapor eventually comes back down again as rain (or sleet, or snow, or hail).

The only way such a thing could happen is if there was way more water in the atmosphere a few thousand years ago than there is now. I suppose God drank all the extra water...?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
15-01-2014, 07:21 PM
(15-01-2014 06:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  What is your answer to this question:
1)I don't know
2)possible
3)not possible
is it possible that invisible pink unicorns exist?
1)I don't know
2)possible
3)not possible

(That is a serious question. I'm not messing with you.)
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
15-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Is it possible that J. Smith was a delusional, story telling, nitwit of a scam artist?
1) I dunno
2) possible
3) not possible

also not messing with you and totally serious.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Agreed WCJ. I get it all of the time when I ask legitimate questions, and the answer I get is "well I never really thought about".

Exactly! It is like using your gift of thought and reason should be avoided so it can all be fine in fairytale land. Must be nice to have every unknown covered under on big fake umbrella. Is it fear of the unknown that prevents people from accepting it and conceptualizing the idea?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-01-2014, 09:37 PM
It is certainly better to say that you don't know, and then try to discover the answer. I can't imagine how archaic science would be if everyone just accepted the "God did it" philosophy. Germs? 'Tain't no germs. God chose for them to be sick. Refraction of light?? God makes rainbows. And it rains when he chooses. And stars are just twinkly specks on our sky dome, there's no reason to look at them closer. And elements?? Sure, we're happy with all 4. (Earth, air, fire, and water).

Skepticism has made the world a better place.

(15-01-2014 06:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  What is your answer to this question:
1)I don't know
2)possible
3)not possible
Not possible due to the overwhelming evidence presented HERE.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
16-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I learned something from Chas a while back.

"I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post