It's Okay to Not Like Things
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2011, 06:39 AM
It's Okay to Not Like Things
I thought this was really cute. Tongue

It's simple things like that that people tend to forget and make rational discourse fall out the window, I think. Tongue

I've heard a couple compelling arguments for ridicule/mockery in the past, though. So that this thread isn't just "aww"-ing at a cute little short video, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion about the balance between ridiculing "ridiculous" beliefs and being calm and listening to a viewpoint in order to establish a more levelheaded discussion!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 10:52 AM
RE: It's Okay to Not Like Things
Well, see, there's things and things. I don't like carrots and i don't like genocide.

Then there's discussion and discussion:
"Mother, i don't like carrots."
"But, dear, you need vegetables to grow up strong and healthy."
"Then may i have an extra helping of peas instead?"
"Mr. President, will you please stop fire-bombing those villages?"
"Those villages are full of terrists, you moran - you wannem over here?"
"But they're full of children, too."
"You're gonna rot in jail for protesting me, you unpatriotic little shit!"

Then there's a viewpoint that's ruled for 2000 years and driven government-sanctioned heavy equipment over anyone who opposed it; has built enormous monuments to itself with funds squeezed out of poor peasants, tax-free,
a viewpoint that has no institutional authority and only fragile, mutable legal safeguards. If the latter resorts to guerrilla tactics, i can't blame it.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
14-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Liberal intellectuals have been polite, respectful, understanding for decades. It was politically incorrect to ridicule others' beliefs.

That's past now because the gloves are off.

The vitriolic, vicious attacks on sanity, over the last 2 decades, put the knife on our throats. We can't afford to continue being polite and tolerant with insanity any more. Just look at what happened to Obama when he tried (in politics, not religion).

If we want to stop the tide before witch-burning begins, we have to fight back and we have to continue calling spades spades.

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

They killed him.

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
16-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Interesting because I had a rather unsettling fight with a believer a couple of days ago that has quite a bit to do about this.
We were watching "Survivor" and one of the contestants made it a point to say how religious he is. I rolled my eyes a bit and said "oh great, another one!" this religious family member immediately turn with a rabid look on his face and said "what do you mean?" I noted that in the last season of the program there was another Bible thumper who went on and on on how god was using him and guiding him in the game, and I noted it was pretty stupid to think god would let millions of children starve to death or die of horrible diseases but apparently he found the time to play a frigging TV reality game. The believer family member then exploded on me accusing me of being intolerant and hateful. My position was that some beliefs are patently stupid and deserve no tolerance. I wasn't saying all belief in god shouldn't be tolerated, but I was saying stupid should be called stupid, and God playing "Survivor" was stupid.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like sy2502's post