"It's People, Not Religion That Is The Problem..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 06:45 PM
"It's People, Not Religion That Is The Problem..."
"It's people, not religion that is the problem..." is an excuse that I hear over and over again as a defense against religion being used to commit immoral acts.

The problem with that excuse is that religion causes people to do things they normally wouldn't do, on the grounds that they are only killing heathens that worship the wrong god, or that the person was violating some part of their dogma, and therefor are righteous in their cause. Religion breeds intolerance, and one would only need to look at the part of the U.S. known as "The Bible Belt" to see a shining example of it. Religion gives people an escape hatch when it comes to committing immoral acts by allowing them to justify those actions with religious cause, and that does result in an increased amount of hatred and intolerance. There's a whole crapload of illegal and immoral shit that I could do and simply be following the Bible. I could have my child stoned to death for being disobedient, kill people for working on the Sabbath, kill a woman I married after finding out that she was not a virgin on the night of the wedding, and sell my daughter into sexual slavery, and I'd merely be following rules laid down in the Bible, which is supposed to be the word of an infallible deity. I fail to see how putting all the blame on people and not religion is a valid excuse.

Saying that religion has no responsibility for all the killing done in its name and simply saying "It's people, not religion that's the problem", is no different than saying that "It's people, not racism that's the problem" when referring to hate crimes. Racism and religion have both been responsible for countless deaths for the same reason: people justified those actions with the excuse that they killed people who were not like them, and that made those people inferior. I don't see how using this "blame people, not religion" is any different than saying "blame people, not racism".

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
25-12-2014, 07:00 PM
RE: "It's People, Not Religion That Is The Problem..."
Dawkins has a neat viewpoint on even benign religion making the world safe for extremist viewpoints.

Ultimately, all Abrahamic religions (and quite a few others) have enough messed up stuff in them to justify anything you want. And yes, it is people who makes these choices.

But tolerating any religious system creates an environment where sick people can co-opt god to justify their sick acts.

And when religion has special protections from freedom of speech or other laws, you have a particularly toxic mix.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
25-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I agree. It's why I'm in the "religion needs to die" group and not the "just keep it to yourself" group.

They can't keep it to themselves.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-12-2014, 01:19 AM
What's the difference? People make religion any existing concept.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-12-2014, 01:39 AM
I would agree with the thread title to the extent that religion is a manifestation of the evolved mammalian trait for in-group / out-group risk analysis and if that trait was bred out of us most of the world's problems would disappear.

I disagree to the extent that religions form a framework for morality / healthcare / philosophy / etc.. These are still needed but we have better ones now based on scientifically verifiable truths ... rather than feels and troofs.

I think I've just stated the obvious. Sorry.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-12-2014, 02:13 AM
It is more of the religions fault than the peoples fault. If the religion was not violent, commanded people to do aweful terrible things and assert itself as not only the absolute model for morality and how to live your life, but assert that you should murder or harm others who do not conform to what is in the book you are reading, then extremists who take the religion seriously in its most literal sense would not exist.

You do not see or hear of Kopimists, Pastafarians or buddhist monks ramming planes into buildings, suicide bombing people, cutting heads off others, or doing anything like that ever. Would someone who is one of those things do those things because they are Kopimist or buddhist? The answer is no, no where in their teachings does it say to do those things, so if one did, it would not had been from their religion itself.

But religion is the problem because it commands their blind followers to do bad things, or think in really bad ways that is no longer consistent to our times.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-12-2014, 02:21 AM
(26-12-2014 01:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I disagree to the extent that religions form a framework for morality / healthcare / philosophy / etc.. These are still needed but we have better ones now based on scientifically verifiable truths ... rather than feels and troofs.

Ahhh yes, "truthiness"... Smile

Still, I disagree with this paragraph because all these necessary functions can and do exist without religion. Any reasonably advanced political system will have these issues at their core.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
26-12-2014, 03:33 AM
The majority of the senseless carnage committed in the 20th century was committed by explicitly atheist regimes. And I've yet to find a single person on any atheist forum who finds this to be a matter of concern.

Let the empty headed rationalizing begin. Go!
26-12-2014, 05:42 AM
AW: RE: "It's People, Not Religion That Is The Problem..."
(26-12-2014 03:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  And I've yet to find a single person on any atheist forum who finds this to be a matter of concern.
Why should it be a matter of concern? Hitler was a Roman Catholic and did what he did for explicitly religious reasons. Do you ever go on Christian forums to ask them why they don't find that to be a matter of concern? Maybe you should. I think their reasons are the same as ours.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
26-12-2014, 05:42 AM
(26-12-2014 01:19 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What's the difference? People make religion any existing concept.

its true, even the organic food crazy is like a religion

source: Penn & Tellers Bullshit!

their famous bullshit experiments are so much fun to watch