"It's People, Not Religion That Is The Problem..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2014 06:06 AM by gofish!.)
RE: "It's People, Not Religion That Is The Problem..."
(26-12-2014 05:42 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 01:19 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What's the difference? People make religion any existing concept.

its true, even the organic food crazy is like a religion

source: Penn & Tellers Bullshit!

their famous bullshit experiments are so much fun to watch

Couldn't agree more. It becomes even more clear, IMHO, if you consider religions as simply political organisations that base their authority on a divine right and ideology, rather than a mandate from the people for example.

Thus it becomes easier to place Nazism, Stalinist Communism, Fascism and any other authoritarian regime (e.g. ISIS) into a set of "Homicidal Ideologies". Indeed, defined this way, I'd wager that close to 100% of all atrocities could be so ascribed.

I know, some broad statements there (hence I differentiate Stalinist Communism, for example) and some interesting counterarguments (e.g. Hitler was initially elected, although that could argued as partially due to the psychosocial state of post-war Germany and some political manipulation, and was later made moot by his abolition of other political parties).

This is certainly borne out by history (the Spanish Inquisition).

So, perhaps some logical fallacies ascribing atrocity to atheism?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
26-12-2014, 06:38 AM
(26-12-2014 03:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  The majority of the senseless carnage committed in the 20th century was committed by explicitly atheist regimes. And I've yet to find a single person on any atheist forum who finds this to be a matter of concern.

Let the empty headed rationalizing begin. Go!

False information is obviously false. Ever heard of ISIS, Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah? It's not to say Atheists don't do bad things because they do, but they don't do it because of their Atheism,they do it because of other issues such as mental illness and just bad behavior. Why don't you fact check before you post so you don't keep making yourself look like a fool.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-12-2014, 06:43 AM
(26-12-2014 06:38 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  False information is obviously false. Ever heard of ISIS, Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah? It's not to say Atheists don't do bad things because they do, but they don't do it because of their Atheism,they do it because of other issues such as mental illness and just bad behavior. Why don't you fact check before you post so you don't keep making yourself look like a fool.

Classic atheist rationalizations. Please enjoy my mere characterization of your point.
26-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Religion IS the problem because of people. They would not be arguing this if they understood evolution, flawed perceptions, and gap filling.

Bad ideas are a result of our species flawed perceptions. The bad ideas are what need to be challenged in order for our species to ditch them. That is the only way humans progress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2014, 06:50 AM
(26-12-2014 06:43 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 06:38 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  False information is obviously false. Ever heard of ISIS, Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah? It's not to say Atheists don't do bad things because they do, but they don't do it because of their Atheism,they do it because of other issues such as mental illness and just bad behavior. Why don't you fact check before you post so you don't keep making yourself look like a fool.

Classic atheist rationalizations. Please enjoy my mere characterization of your point.

Classic theist response, no debating, just a general response when they know they have just been told the truth and cannot comprehend it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-12-2014, 07:26 AM
At work.

(26-12-2014 03:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  The majority of the senseless carnage committed in the 20th century was committed by explicitly atheist regimes. And I've yet to find a single person on any atheist forum who finds this to be a matter of concern.

Examples plz?

Or are you making a blanket statement about Comunism as practiced by Russia et.al?

(26-12-2014 03:33 AM)Basa Bozopid='707287'dateline='1419586405' Wrote:  Let the empty headed rationalizing begin. Go!

?

Much cheers to all.
26-12-2014, 09:44 AM
(26-12-2014 02:21 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 01:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I disagree to the extent that religions form a framework for morality / healthcare / philosophy / etc.. These are still needed but we have better ones now based on scientifically verifiable truths ... rather than feels and troofs.

Ahhh yes, "truthiness"... Smile

Still, I disagree with this paragraph because all these necessary functions can and do exist without religion. Any reasonably advanced political system will have these issues at their core.

Isn't that what I said?

Huh

26-12-2014, 10:09 AM
(26-12-2014 09:44 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 02:21 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Ahhh yes, "truthiness"... Smile

Still, I disagree with this paragraph because all these necessary functions can and do exist without religion. Any reasonably advanced political system will have these issues at their core.

Isn't that what I said?

Huh

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood you as implying that religion provides necessary frameworks for society.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
26-12-2014, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2014 03:53 PM by DLJ.)
(26-12-2014 10:09 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:44 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Isn't that what I said?

Huh

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood you as implying that religion provides necessary frameworks for society.

Ah, I see. Nope, I'm saying that they used to... or more specifically, that's the best they had at the time. We have better ones now.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-12-2014, 02:22 PM
It's life within the context of civilization that is the problem. Everything including and after agriculture caused the nonsense of religion to become an adaptive advantage.

'Murican Canadian