It's Supernatural.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 01:56 PM by Cephalotus.)
RE: It's Supernatural.
EDIT:

You may delete this post. I found it.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
(06-12-2013 12:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The Chippy derailment has been moved to the vipers pit please continue any interaction with him there.

Thank you!

Can he(Chippy) be kept from this thread so actual discussion might happen? It would be cool IF anyone has real conversation/questions. Some of us ex(s) might want to rant or get suggestions that aren't venomous & hateful. Conversation might be nice.

just asking.........

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-12-2013, 03:29 PM
(06-12-2013 03:23 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 12:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The Chippy derailment has been moved to the vipers pit please continue any interaction with him there.

Thank you!

Can he(Chippy) be kept from this thread so actual discussion might happen? It would be cool IF anyone has real conversation/questions. Some of us ex(s) might want to rant or get suggestions that aren't venomous & hateful. Conversation might be nice.

just asking.........

If he continues in the vein he already has it will just be split off and moved to the vipers pit with the rest of it. Feel free to continue the discussion now.

I actually know some Neo-pagans and most of them are really low key about it. They find out I'm an atheist and don't bat an eye but every once in a while you get one that has a broomstick up his or her ass and now you have to sit there and listen to a shit storm of stupidity covered in a hippy love the earth veneer. It was actually a Wiccan that made me go and research Atheism, I could always hand a christian their ass in a debate but I never really paid much attention to metaphysics outside of that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
(06-12-2013 03:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:23 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Thank you!

just asking.........

If he continues in the vein he already has it will just be split off and moved to the vipers pit with the rest of it. Feel free to continue the discussion now.

I actually know some Neo-pagans and most of them are really low key about it. They find out I'm an atheist and don't bat an eye but every once in a while you get one that has a broomstick up his or her ass and now you have to sit there and listen to a shit storm of stupidity covered in a hippy love the earth veneer. It was actually a Wiccan that made me go and research Atheism, I could always hand a christian their ass in a debate but I never really paid much attention to metaphysics outside of that.

You might run into some difficulty with Wiccans (and handing them their ass in debate) ONLY because 99% fall under the heading of "Eclectic". Which is a super vague term indicating a lot of make-it-up-as-it-suits-you-personally. Which - strangely enough is really the point!! No one else defining For you what your religion is. Weird - I know.
Most I know are as turned off by dogma and strick boundaries as atheists. So although there's some ""spirituality"" (for lack of a better word) in their mix somehow - they generally cannot define it NOR will they even try. They'll just shrug if you tried to pin them down on "Why are you Wiccan". Although you can at times run into the badass sort that wants to help you understand the Goddess.
yeah........they're out there. But that sort is the exception.

I made study of the Traditional role because I think anything worth doing is worth doing to the best of your ability. But the deeper I got and discovered the dogma was just as insane the less appeal it actually had. But just GirlScouts - I took it as far as you can go. Got all the badges, bells and whistles only to realize: 'now what?'

I recall being attracted to Wicca for one reason seriously: Wicca does NOT recruit. Not ever. I really liked that.... thought that was totally awesome back in the day! Wow a religion that doesn't seek members? Good. lol There's no door-to-door sales nor even invitations. The theory is simple: If you are meant to be Wiccan you will find your OWN way.....minus any interference from anyone else.

But it's very hard to debate a Wiccan on belief. Either they just **believe** much as a christian or muslim might say OR they'll just walk away because they have a different focus. Mostly that focus is trying to lead a good life, do no harm to others and contribute somehow; making use of their life. Most I know aren't religious at all. They follow no dogma but use the term "wiccan" because no other term suits them.

Out of all the religions - it makes the most sense. IMHO If I didn't have to buy into deity - I'd probably still be Wiccan for other factors. And please don't make the mistake of thinking Wiccans are a bunch of spell-casting witches. It's really not true. Think rock-collecting tree-huggers that make their own compost and don't bother anyone else; probably trying to figure out what THEY believe.........lol and you've a closer definition. As a rule - they are THE most harmless of people. Spending most of their time on self-reflection and self improvement than pointing fingers at others.

They are tough to debate.

06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
(06-12-2013 03:50 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If he continues in the vein he already has it will just be split off and moved to the vipers pit with the rest of it. Feel free to continue the discussion now.

You might run into some difficulty with Wiccans (and handing them their ass in debate) ONLY because 99% fall under the heading of "Eclectic". Which is a super vague term indicating a lot of make-it-up-as-it-suits-you-personally. Which - strangely enough is really the point!! No one else defining For you what your religion is. Weird - I know.
Most I know are as turned off by dogma and strick boundaries as atheists. So although there's some ""spirituality"" (for lack of a better word) in their mix somehow - they generally cannot define it NOR will they even try. They'll just shrug if you tried to pin them down on "Why are you Wiccan". Although you can at times run into the badass sort that wants to help you understand the Goddess.

I made study of the Traditional role because I think anything worth doing is worth doing to the best of your ability. But the deeper I got and discovered the dogma was just as insane the less appeal it actually had. But just GirlScouts - I took it as far as you can go. Got all the badges, bells and whistles only to realize: 'now what?'

I recall being attracted to Wicca for one reason seriously: Wicca does NOT recruit. Not ever. I really liked that.... thought that was totally awesome back in the day! Wow a religion that doesn't seek members? Good. lol There's no door-to-door sales nor even invitations. The theory is simple: If you are meant to be Wiccan you will find your OWN way.....minus any interference from anyone else.

But it's very hard to debate a Wiccan on belief. Either they just **believe** much as a christian or muslim might say OR they'll just walk away because they have a different focus. Mostly that focus is trying to lead a good life, do no harm to others and contribute somehow; making use of their life. Most I know aren't religious at all. They follow no dogma but use the term "wiccan" because no other term suits them.

Out of all the religions - it makes the most sense. IMHO If I didn't have to buy into deity - I'd probably still be Wiccan for other factors. And please don't make the mistake of thinking Wiccans are a bunch of spell-casting witches. It's really not true. Think rock-collecting tree-huggers that make their own compost and don't bother anyone else; probably trying to figure out what THEY believe.........lol and you've a closer definition. As a rule - they are THE most harmless of people. Spending most of their time on self-reflection and self improvement than pointing fingers at others.

Yeah, honestly 99% of my interactions with Wiccans and Neo-Pagans have been positive. Every once in a while you come across an anti-vaxer in that group and that is weapons grade stupidity that cannot go unchallenged. The one I was referring to actually told me I had to believe in something whether I knew it or not and that just irritated me to the point that I went and brushed up on my stuff, read some of the 4 horsemens stuff and it is what ultimately lead me here. But her and I butted heads over other things too, she was one of those people that had to be the best in everything and she didn't realise that I was as much smarter than her as she was of the average person so it annoyed her.

Outside of her and the occasional crazy anti-western medicine type they are a pretty chill group to be with. Most don't have as many hang-ups as other religious groups and at least a third of them are just atheists in halloween costumes anyway so I always felt more relaxed around them than other religious groups. But then I am the type to not care what you believe as long as you don't put it in my face or try to legislate your version of morality.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-12-2013, 04:21 PM
(06-12-2013 04:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:50 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  You might run into some difficulty with Wiccans (and handing them their ass in debate) ONLY because 99% fall under the heading of "Eclectic". Which is a super vague term indicating a lot of make-it-up-as-it-suits-you-personally. Which - strangely enough is really the point!! No one else defining For you what your religion is. Weird - I know.

Yeah, honestly 99% of my interactions with Wiccans and Neo-Pagans have been positive. Every once in a while you come across an anti-vaxer in that group and that is weapons grade stupidity that cannot go unchallenged. The one I was referring to actually told me I had to believe in something whether I knew it or not and that just irritated me to the point that I went and brushed up on my stuff, read some of the 4 horsemens stuff and it is what ultimately lead me here. But her and I butted heads over other things too, she was one of those people that had to be the best in everything and she didn't realise that I was as much smarter than her as she was of the average person so it annoyed her.

Outside of her and the occasional crazy anti-western medicine type they are a pretty chill group to be with. Most don't have as many hang-ups as other religious groups and at least a third of them are just atheists in halloween costumes anyway so I always felt more relaxed around them than other religious groups. But then I am the type to not care what you believe as long as you don't put it in my face or try to legislate your version of morality.

Epic! That's the best thing I've read all day BowingBowingBowing I owe you one.Big Grin

06-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I used to be involved with a wiccan once. The hokey hippie side was irreconcilable. Drugs and I mean the really crazy hallucinogens where she ascribed them to be real messages from a supernatural source and..ugh. I just can't deal with that level of crazy anymore. Although she was skeptical of organized religions and rather intelligent in many other cases and holy shit could she sing! Opera, jazz, you name it also played piano. I didn't find the whole certified hypnotist and past life regression all that attractive though..plus "visions".

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Neopaganism (particularly Wicca) attracts a unique brand of crazy, indeed. All happiness and herbs and reincarnations of Cleopatra. Big Grin I think the appeal for me was the fact that the population will never get large enough to pose a threat to anybody else's freedoms like some of the bigger religions. It got to the point where I couldn't ignore the craziness, tho, and I drifted away from it. I had quite a negative experience with my last coven but that's another matter entirely.

It's somewhat like Satanism. It's such a small and specialized religion. Nobody ever has to worry about a small group like that trying to prevent gays from marrying or anything else silly. You only have to worry about the craziness of the individuals.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
(06-12-2013 04:43 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I used to be involved with a wiccan once. The hokey hippie side was irreconcilable. Drugs and I mean the really crazy hallucinogens where she ascribed them to be real messages from a supernatural source and..ugh. I just can't deal with that level of crazy anymore. Although she was skeptical of organized religions and rather intelligent in many other cases and holy shit could she sing! Opera, jazz, you name it also played piano. I didn't find the whole certified hypnotist and past life regression all that attractive though..plus "visions".

Wow - that sounds like some serious bullshit. LOL Laughable but bullshit still.
Luckily for me no one ever approached me trying to get me to do drugs nor did anyone ever try to sell me God/Goddess - although I sure caught wind of it.

Why is it people feel the need to sell sell sell sometimes? Gives them validation?

06-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I had a friend who was a wiccan for the longest time. She took to it around the age of 15, and stayed with it all through High School. She wasn't very open about it other than close friends, and she tried explaining it to me once. Couldn't really grasp something that she really didn't know how to explain. We debated a bit, and I think she eventually saw it how I did as she slowly switched to Mormonism.

eventually when the church she was attending with friends wanted her to go through all this stuff to become an official member she dropped out. Slowly shes starting to see the idiocy in Religious stuff.