It's Your Dime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 06:46 AM
It's Your Dime
The other day I got a call from my nephew -- and he asked if I had a minute to talk -- to which I replied "It's your dime"....

He didn't have a clue as to what I meant - and told me as much.

Blink

Really????

I'm THAT outdated??

(Then again - I once saw him try to use a rotary phone, and he didn't know how it worked. I got a real laugh outta that...)

I suppose it's a normal part of getting old. So shit.........

Had it happen to you??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-09-2016, 07:07 AM
RE: It's Your Dime
Some years back we had a birthday party for one of my daughters. I was in the kitchen popping popcorn in a frying pan on the stove. One girl stood in the kitchen watching me quite intently. When the kernels started hitting the lid she looked at me and asked what I was doing. I told her. Her eyes got real big and she said, "You can make popcorn like that????"

That's when I realized those kids were of the microwave popcorn generation. She may have seen someone use a popcorn popper or one of those air popping machines but she had never it seen it prepared 'the old fashioned way'. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Gotta go see a man about a horse.

#sigh
07-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Do they still have shop classes anymore?
07-09-2016, 05:30 PM
(07-09-2016 06:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The other day I got a call from my nephew -- and he asked if I had a minute to talk -- to which I replied "It's your dime"....

He didn't have a clue as to what I meant - and told me as much.

I'm in my 40's and I'd never use that phrase. I don't know if it is because it is a really outdated phrase, an American term rather than something people in my country say, or just a cringy cliche. We, ofcourse don't have dimes, 10c yes but not dimes. So probably an American thing.

(07-09-2016 07:07 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I was in the kitchen popping popcorn in a frying pan on the stove.
A frying pan rather than a saucepan?

I do think popcorn is much nicer from the stove top rather than microwave. I used to have a jar of buttersalt. That was fantastic, but it's run out now, and I don't know how to make it. I generally either eat it dry or melt some butter and pour that on top. Sometimes I put icing sugar on, and sometimes I add chilli flakes or cajun spice but its hard not to burn the dried chilli.
07-09-2016, 05:38 PM
(07-09-2016 05:30 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A frying pan rather than a saucepan?

I do think popcorn is much nicer from the stove top rather than microwave. I used to have a jar of buttersalt. That was fantastic, but it's run out now, and I don't know how to make it. I generally either eat it dry or melt some butter and pour that on top. Sometimes I put icing sugar on, and sometimes I add chilli flakes or cajun spice but its hard not to burn the dried chilli.

I grew up watching my grandmother pop popcorn in a cast iron skillet....it was the best ever!

For a while I went with microwave popcorn but not long ago I finally admitted to myself that it's just not the same. I went back to making it in, yes, a frying pan. It's soooooo much better. Good quality oil for the popping and real butter on top.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-09-2016, 05:40 PM
“You don’t know shit from Shinola, that’s why your shoes don’t shine”.

Very few young guys I know even have leather shoes or patent shoes so no need to shine them. As for Shinola, well, it doesn’t sell much anymore. I still say this now and then and simply get blank looks.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/know_shit_from_Shinola

[Image: il_570xN.818187536_lcin.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-09-2016, 05:48 PM
(07-09-2016 05:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “You don’t know shit from Shinola, that’s why your shoes don’t shine”.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
07-09-2016, 05:52 PM
(07-09-2016 05:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “You don’t know shit from Shinola, that’s why your shoes don’t shine”.

Very few young guys I know even have leather shoes or patent shoes so no need to shine them. As for Shinola, well, it doesn’t sell much anymore. I still say this now and then and simply get blank looks.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/know_shit_from_Shinola

[Image: il_570xN.818187536_lcin.jpg]

Shining shoes is nearly a thing of the past. I remember watching dad shine his shoes and I later did my own. While in the military I learned how to make the toes of my boots shine like glass...I learned from an Airborne guy.

I do still have, and sometimes use, my shoeshine supplies.

07-09-2016, 05:54 PM
I have a good one, too. My wife the other day thought I made up the carrot and stick analogy. I was shocked that I had to explain to her what it meant.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post