It's Your Dime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: It's Your Dime
Said to a kid who doesn't resemble their sibling(s) - you must belong to the milkman.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
07-09-2016, 06:44 PM
I still shine my wingtips. And I use Kiwi wax, which probably has a colorant extracted from dead Maori people. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-09-2016, 06:58 PM
High school kids today don't know how to read an analogue clock. My college age kids know how to read a clock face even with Roman numerals on it but the kids after them are baffled by those kinds of clocks. So the phrase "half past ten" or a "quarter to eleven" is a puzzle to them.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-09-2016, 06:15 AM
These sorts of things come an go.

Consarnit!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-09-2016, 09:19 AM
(07-09-2016 06:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  High school kids today don't know how to read an analogue clock. My college age kids know how to read a clock face even with Roman numerals on it but the kids after them are baffled by those kinds of clocks. So the phrase "half past ten" or a "quarter to eleven" is a puzzle to them.

I direct a lot of chess tournaments, and the players are required to use clocks to time their games (these are special "chess clocks" that have a separate clock face for each player). Most players bring their own, but there are always a few who don't, so we also bring some clocks to sign out to people who don't have one.

Anyway, back when I started playing (in the 1980s), all chess clocks were regular analog clocks with minute and second hands, and you had to wind them up. Nowadays, these are pretty much obsolete, and 99% of the clocks you see are digital ones. The problem is that there are numerous kinds of digital clocks, and the setup tends to be complicated -- and different for each different kind of clock. Kids tend to be pretty good with them, though, so the standard advice we give is "If you can't figure out how to set your clock, ask a kid."

The clocks we bring for sign-out, though, are the old analog clocks -- simpler and cheaper. But now it's becoming a common thing to sign out one of these, and then a few minutes later, they bring it back (especially if it's a kid), because they have no clue how to read it or set it. Fortunately, we 60-year-old tournament directors still know how to set them.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-09-2016, 09:37 AM
When I was a senior in high school I worked at a small grocery store. We had two checkout lanes. One had a newfangled cash register or at least as newfangled as you could get in the mid 70s. The other lane held one similar to the one pictured. I was often on the old register. You choose one of the buttons on the far left to select the department...meat, grocery, non-food, etc. Then you pressed the buttons to enter the price of the item after which you used the side of your hand to hit the big button on the right to record the entry, as it were. Afterward you subtotaled the items that were non-food and calculated the tax in your head which you then entered. Then for the total button. The total came up and the customer handed you their money (usually cash). And.....gasp....you had to count back their change...no button to enter the amount tendered so you didn't have to figure out how much to give them back. No pictures, no barcodes, no credit card machines...so archaic. Big Grin

[Image: Full%20register_zpscgwot1lk.png]

[Image: cash%20register_zpsstnkyjni.png]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-09-2016, 10:51 AM
I read a news report recently about this sort of thing.

A kid was talking with his vegetarian mother, and asked her why we couldn't just stop raising (and killing) dairy cows. When she told him they produced all our milk, the kid said "but we get our milk at the supermarket".

... [Image: 4317.gif]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
(07-09-2016 05:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “You don’t know shit from Shinola, that’s why your shoes don’t shine”.

Very few young guys I know even have leather shoes or patent shoes so no need to shine them. As for Shinola, well, it doesn’t sell much anymore. I still say this now and then and simply get blank looks.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/know_shit_from_Shinola

[Image: il_570xN.818187536_lcin.jpg]

I've heard the phrase before, but I had no idea Shinola was a product. You learn something new every day!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
08-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Do not spindle.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-09-2016, 11:55 AM
(08-09-2016 11:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Do not spindle.

Big Grin ...fold or mutilate.

Haha...been a while since I heard that.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post