It's Your Dime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2016, 07:33 AM
RE: It's Your Dime
(09-09-2016 07:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  May as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

Carbon copy.

On the flip side.

Carriage return.

DING!!!

Big Grin

(edit to add)
Ever thought about that??? Some happy asshole - had to think up the idea, and install a bell than dinged each time you returned the platen...

Why???

I suspect it was the great grandfather of the engineer who decided a flashlight needed a "flash SOS" feature....... Just some damned engineer justifying his existence....

I remember renting electric typewriters for the business I had then. They even had a "correct" feature where you could type on a white ribbon to cover your mistake rather than using "white -out" which came in a bottle with a brush, like nail polish... Fancy schmancy stuff that was! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-09-2016, 08:52 AM
(08-09-2016 05:15 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Been through the wringer.

[Image: traditional-laundry-products.jpg]

Grandma used to do the laundry with a similar setup when I was a young'un. I still remember the day mom's youngest sister got her knee length hair caught in it. When it was over she not only looked like she'd been through the wringer she had.

My mother had one of those when I was a kid.
09-09-2016, 03:09 PM
When I was a kid, we heated the lounge room with one of these potential death traps (carbon monoxide fumes)...

[Image: Fyrside.JPG]

The whole house stunk of kerosene all through winter, and dad had a 44-gallon drum with stopcock, on a raised stand, in the backyard like this...

[Image: $_20.JPG]

"Laurel" brand kerosene was produced in Australia from 1916 by Vacuum Oil, which became Atlantic, then Mobilgas (with the flying red horse logo), then Esso (Standard Oil from New Jersey), and then finally Exxon.

The chrome rack on the heater was used for keeping your kettle hot or making toast—which always had that delightful avgas flavour LOL. Mum would also spread newspaper on the carpet in front of the heater to lay out and dry our wet duds in winter. No fire risks there!

Rolleyes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-09-2016, 03:24 PM
I heated this house one year -- when kerosene was down under a buck a gallon - with portable heaters....

You quit noticing the smell after a while -- but it seemed we spent the whole winter with a headache....

(and 5 monoxide detectors...)

Now - I only use kero (with a bit of MEK mixed it) for cleaning engine parts....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Anybody here still have family that make use of an outhouse?

#Arkansas Tongue

09-09-2016, 06:08 PM
(09-09-2016 03:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I heated this house one year -- when kerosene was down under a buck a gallon - with portable heaters....

You quit noticing the smell after a while -- but it seemed we spent the whole winter with a headache....

Now - I only use kero (with a bit of MEK mixed it) for cleaning engine parts....

You can get MEK in Michigan? The greenies legislated that out of the stores, at least in our area. You want paint or grease off, MEK is the shit. Now, I have to use acetone. For grease, I use a spray of a lye compound (Purple Power), but that shit burns if you get it on you.
09-09-2016, 06:41 PM
(09-09-2016 06:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  You can get MEK in Michigan? The greenies legislated that out of the stores, at least in our area. [...]

Downunder, we can buy MEK as plumber's PVC priming fluid. It's coloured pink, and I'm guessing that's the only additive. According to Aussie standards, it must be used with any pressure piping.

—What issues do the tree-huggers have with it?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-09-2016, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 08:00 PM by Fireball.)
(09-09-2016 06:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 06:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  You can get MEK in Michigan? The greenies legislated that out of the stores, at least in our area. [...]

Downunder, we can buy MEK as plumber's PVC priming fluid. It's coloured pink, and I'm guessing that's the only additive. According to Aussie standards, it must be used with any pressure piping.

—What issues do the tree-huggers have with it?

It's based on the Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) restrictions. Mostly the unavailability is concentrated in the South Coast Air Basin (SCAB). I live just outside Los Angeles County. The area is an air basin where a temperature inversion layer generally holds a lot of the smog generated close to the ground, and there are lots of vehicles on the area's roads. Areas that are flatter can have fresh air move through to help dissipate that. In the SCAB, the temperature has to get to 100°+, Fahrenheit, to get convective flow to move it out of the region. MEK is high in VOCs, thus made the list, recently. The rest of the state has little issue with it. Interestingly, a company that sells paint on the internet can sell internally anywhere in California. I bought lacquer thinner and and lacquer paint for my car from them, no problem, I just had to have it shipped. If I go to my local paint shop, they can sell me one quart of lacquer and some lacquer thinner for a vehicle that I have to prove was painted with lacquer from the factory. One quart, because that is considered a quantity used for the repair of the paint on that vehicle. But I can also drive about 60 miles and buy enough to paint an entire vehicle. Or just buy it on the internet and have it shipped, which is less costly in terms of money and time. Or go back to the paint store (about 2 miles from my house) 4 times over a period of days. Crazy.

And yes, the glue we use for PVC and ABS pipe has MEK in it. But there has to be a limit on the controls, or nobody is going to get their plumbing fixed. I think that that is where the PEX plumbing is being driven from. The fittings are crimped instead of solvent-welded. Now they're finding problems with the tubing where the guys don't crimp the connections properly, and then there is the leaching of chemicals from the tubing. I personally do my own plumbing work. Supply piping is all copper, soldered with lead-free solder; all drains are solvent-welded ABS. Since I do the work myself, I can afford to do that. To hire a plumber would be to use up all the rest of my bubble-gum retirement money.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-09-2016, 07:30 AM
(09-09-2016 06:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 03:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I heated this house one year -- when kerosene was down under a buck a gallon - with portable heaters....

You can get MEK in Michigan? The greenies legislated that out of the stores, at least in our area. You want paint or grease off, MEK is the shit. Now, I have to use acetone. For grease, I use a spray of a lye compound (Purple Power), but that shit burns if you get it on you.

The local hardware has it for 25 bucks a gallon....

The owner and I are on good terms - and we're both amazed that it's still available.....

I miss carbontet ...... THAT was the shit...... You could stick a motorcycle head in a bucket of carbontet, leave it overnight - take it out in the morning - and it would look like new. It'd take paint, grease, carbon off like you wouldn't believe.....

If you're ever in Michigan pick up a couple gallons......

Helpful hint --- MOST lacquer thinners contain SOME MEK in them - and work better than acetone......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Good to know about the lacquer thinner. I got a gallon of paint thinner at the local Habitat store for $5. I keep my eyes peeled for deals like that.

Given carbon tetrachloride's health threats, I wouldn't use it.