It's Your Dime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2016, 06:56 PM
RE: It's Your Dime
(10-09-2016 07:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The local hardware has it for 25 bucks a gallon....

The owner and I are on good terms - and we're both amazed that it's still available.....

I miss carbontet ...... THAT was the shit...... You could stick a motorcycle head in a bucket of carbontet, leave it overnight - take it out in the morning - and it would look like new. It'd take paint, grease, carbon off like you wouldn't believe.....

If you're ever in Michigan pick up a couple gallons......

Helpful hint --- MOST lacquer thinners contain SOME MEK in them - and work better than acetone......

When I was a wee lad in Australia, all our dry [sic] cleaners used gallons of carbon tet as their standard cleaning fluid. Our house was three doors away from a dry cleaners and you could smell it in the air on any windless day.

They used to have a slime dump in the rear yard, and the carbon tet mixed with wool and cotton fibres produced a sort of dark grey, pliable "Play Doh" substance that we kids used to make stuff out of—like modelling clay. Now it's banned LOL.

Shocking

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 08:18 PM
(10-09-2016 06:56 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 07:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The local hardware has it for 25 bucks a gallon....

The owner and I are on good terms - and we're both amazed that it's still available.....

I miss carbontet ...... THAT was the shit...... You could stick a motorcycle head in a bucket of carbontet, leave it overnight - take it out in the morning - and it would look like new. It'd take paint, grease, carbon off like you wouldn't believe.....

If you're ever in Michigan pick up a couple gallons......

Helpful hint --- MOST lacquer thinners contain SOME MEK in them - and work better than acetone......

When I was a wee lad in Australia, all our dry [sic] cleaners used gallons of carbon tet as their standard cleaning fluid. Our house was three doors away from a dry cleaners and you could smell it in the air on any windless day.

They used to have a slime dump in the rear yard, and the carbon tet mixed with wool and cotton fibres produced a sort of dark grey, pliable "Play Doh" substance that we kids used to make stuff out of—like modelling clay. Now it's banned LOL.

Shocking

It can soak through your skin, and is a known antagonist for your liver and kidneys. You should look for injury to those organs, and bring this up when you talk to your doctor.

I've handled it and many other chlorinated solvents during my life. I used to have my hands soaked with perchlorethylene, AKA tetrachloroethylene while cleaning vehicle parts when I worked as a mechanic. I also handled trichloroethylene and tetrachloroethane on a regular basis, in my early days of work in aerospace. My liver is going to burst from all that shit, one day. Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
10-09-2016, 09:07 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-09-2016, 09:44 PM
(10-09-2016 09:07 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Dafuq? Accordion, and some gal with washboard abs? Please explain the relevance. Huh
11-09-2016, 03:49 PM
(10-09-2016 08:18 PM)Fireball Wrote:  It can soak through your skin, and is a known antagonist for your liver and kidneys. You should look for injury to those organs, and bring this up when you talk to your doctor.

Thanks. Yeah, I've had recent liver (enzyme and bilirubin) and kidney (creatinine and bun) function tests, both with normal results. Cool

As a kid, I was exposed to asbestos too, as it was used in nearly all Aussie homes built in the 40s through the 60s. It's estimated that a third of all homes here still contain significant amounts of asbestos, which means kids today could potentially suffer the same sort of exposure.

11-09-2016, 04:07 PM
carbon tet mad a lot of guys sick back in the 60's. Dad ws not one of them but he knew guys who did get too much on the skin.
We had some really cool automatic fire extinguishers in the old fruit warehouse with carbon tet.
[Image: carbon-tet.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
11-09-2016, 04:08 PM
(11-09-2016 03:49 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 08:18 PM)Fireball Wrote:  It can soak through your skin, and is a known antagonist for your liver and kidneys. You should look for injury to those organs, and bring this up when you talk to your doctor.

Thanks. Yeah, I've had recent liver (enzyme and bilirubin) and kidney (creatinine and bun) function tests, both with normal results. Cool

As a kid, I was exposed to asbestos too, as it was used in nearly all Aussie homes built in the 40s through the 60s. It's estimated that a third of all homes here still contain significant amounts of asbestos, which means kids today could potentially suffer the same sort of exposure.

Good to see normal test results. I am suffering from chronic renal failure. The Dr isn't saying anything about my liver, though. I've had enzymes measured for when I took statins. But I can't take them any more; they lock my muscles up and cause excruciating, debilitating pain. I worked in the engine room when I was in the US Navy, and as a mechanic before and after I served. I've inhaled lots of friable asbestos. I seem to be OK, but time will tell. I'll be 64 next month. That is longer than all but one of my father's siblings lived. The rest died at about 58. That's 6 guys. Forget the chemicals we've been discussing. Every one of them smoked cigarettes, and every one of them died from the effects.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-09-2016, 04:11 PM
THE GOOD OLD DAYS

—If you lived as a child in the 40s, 50s or 60s, looking back it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have when one considers the following:

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a ute on a warm day was always a special treat.

Our cots were covered with brightly-coloured lead paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cupboards, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We would spend hours building go-carts out of old scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No-one was able to reach us all day. No mobile phones. Unthinkable!

We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No-one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents?

We ate patty cakes, bread and butter, and drank cordial, but we were never overweight .... we were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle and on-one died from this.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games, 65 channels on pay TV, movies on CD and video, surround sound, personal mobile phones, personal computers, Internet chat rooms.... we had friends.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them. Imagine such a thing. Without asking a parent! By ourselves! out there in the cold, cruel world! Without a guardian. How did we do it?

Footy and netball had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were kept down to repeat the same grade. Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. There was no-one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law, was unheard of. They actually sided with the law - imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility - and we learned to deal with it all.

Author unknown.

[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
11-09-2016, 04:11 PM
(07-09-2016 06:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The other day I got a call from my nephew -- and he asked if I had a minute to talk -- to which I replied "It's your dime"....

He didn't have a clue as to what I meant - and told me as much.

Blink

Really????

I'm THAT outdated??

(Then again - I once saw him try to use a rotary phone, and he didn't know how it worked. I got a real laugh outta that...)

I suppose it's a normal part of getting old. So shit.........

Had it happen to you??

Cleaning out my sister's closet after she died we ran across a typewriter and her grandkids said what is that?
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
11-09-2016, 04:19 PM
(11-09-2016 03:49 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

In about 5th or 6th grade we had pipes running thru our classroom that were covered with asbestos at just over head height and my friends and I would reach up peel it off and throw it into the air for every one to breathe in. No idea that it was harmfull in any way!