It's Your Dime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: It's Your Dime
(11-09-2016 04:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I am suffering from chronic renal failure.

Shit mate, that's not good news. Let's hope for the best eh? I survived testicular cancer around thirty years ago, and interestingly that's one of the common cancers associated with asbestos exposure.

Quote:I worked in the engine room when I was in the US Navy, and as a mechanic before and after I served. I've inhaled lots of friable asbestos.

We've had multiple court cases here mounted against the navy by blokes who worked with asbestos pipe lagging in the ships, and suffered various cancers. The problem is that—like with all federal governments—they had to provide a veritable mountain of medical reports and documentation to support their cases, many of which were rejected, even after months of consideration.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2016, 04:39 PM
(11-09-2016 04:30 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(11-09-2016 04:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I am suffering from chronic renal failure.

Shit mate, that's not good news. Let's hope for the best eh? I survived testicular cancer around thirty years ago, and interestingly that's one of the common cancers associated with asbestos exposure.

Quote:I worked in the engine room when I was in the US Navy, and as a mechanic before and after I served. I've inhaled lots of friable asbestos.

We've had multiple court cases here mounted against the navy by blokes who worked with asbestos pipe lagging in the ships, and suffered various cancers. The problem is that—like with all federal governments—they had to provide a veritable mountain of medical reports and documentation to support their cases, many of which were rejected, even after months of consideration.

Thanks, about the CRF. I'm not going to depend on the Navy for anything if I come down with an ailment from the exposure. I have a really good HMO paid for by my ex-employer (and a little by me). They will have to handle it. I've been out of the Navy for 40 years. Doesn't mean that that asbestos didn't damage me. That shit was floating everywhere when we took lines apart for maintenance. Now that I know about these things, I warn my sons before we work on things. My second son is working construction (which I have done, too, and woodworking is a hobby I've enjoyed all my life), and I let him know that he should wear a particulate HEPA filter when doing demolition work. Lifetime exposure to sawdust is now considered a carcinogen.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-09-2016, 04:51 PM
When I was around 5 years old my mother would use Mecuricome on on my boo-boos which I think is banned now. I'm not sure if it was hysteria or if there really was some mercury in it. Most of the time she had the family dog lick my boo-boos which seemed to help the most. Rolleyes

[Image: 29ccf28a08d0116d06defc142471a6c9.jpg]

Speaking of mercury, the thermometers of today don't have mercury in them They're all digital. This changed when my now college aged kids were five or so.

[Image: Comparison+of+Alcohol+and+Mercury+Thermometer.jpg]

Reading those mercury thermometers was always tricky. You had to tip it back and forth to see what the score was. And when I was a kid we had one that broke and the mercury went into little tiny silver balls all over the kitchen table.....which I played with. I thought it was pretty neat stuff..all those little silver balls. They would stick together and make a bigger ball. It was magical! It'll probably be the death of me in the end. Oh well.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-09-2016, 05:55 PM
(11-09-2016 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was around 5 years old my mother would use Mecuricome on on my boo-boos which I think is banned now. I'm not sure if it was hysteria or if there really was some mercury in it. Most of the time she had the family dog lick my boo-boos which seemed to help the most.

LOL... my mum used Mercurochrome on me and my brother's cuts and grazes for upwards of twenty years combined, and we've not suffered any adverse reactions. It's still available in Australia.

Apparently it contains mercuric acetate Hg(OAc)2 which the FDA in their wisdom [sic] reckons is toxic.

11-09-2016, 06:12 PM
(11-09-2016 05:55 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(11-09-2016 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was around 5 years old my mother would use Mecuricome on on my boo-boos which I think is banned now. I'm not sure if it was hysteria or if there really was some mercury in it. Most of the time she had the family dog lick my boo-boos which seemed to help the most.

LOL... my mum used Mercurochrome on me and my brother's cuts and grazes for upwards of twenty years combined, and we've not suffered any adverse reactions. It's still available in Australia.

Apparently it contains mercuric acetate Hg(OAc)2 which the FDA in their wisdom [sic] reckons is toxic.

Is mercuric acetate different from regular mercury?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-09-2016, 06:26 PM
(11-09-2016 06:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Is mercuric acetate different from regular mercury?

It does contain actual mercury molecules, which is the Hg part of the chemical formula. Bear in mind though that a metallic salt doesn't necessarily have the same effects on the human body as the free metal (100% Hg) would have.

Think of mercuric acetate like table salt, NaCl, which contains two injurious chemicals, but together in a compound they're (relatively?) harmless.

11-09-2016, 07:08 PM
(11-09-2016 04:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Good to see normal test results. I am suffering from chronic renal failure. The Dr isn't saying anything about my liver, though. I've had enzymes measured for when I took statins. But I can't take them any more; they lock my muscles up and cause excruciating, debilitating pain. I worked in the engine room when I was in the US Navy, and as a mechanic before and after I served. I've inhaled lots of friable asbestos. I seem to be OK, but time will tell. I'll be 64 next month. That is longer than all but one of my father's siblings lived. The rest died at about 58. That's 6 guys. Forget the chemicals we've been discussing. Every one of them smoked cigarettes, and every one of them died from the effects.

I am terribly sorry to find out that you are suffering from such an illness...gentle hugs your way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-09-2016, 07:20 PM
(11-09-2016 04:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-09-2016 03:49 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Thanks. Yeah, I've had recent liver (enzyme and bilirubin) and kidney (creatinine and bun) function tests, both with normal results. Cool

As a kid, I was exposed to asbestos too, as it was used in nearly all Aussie homes built in the 40s through the 60s. It's estimated that a third of all homes here still contain significant amounts of asbestos, which means kids today could potentially suffer the same sort of exposure.

Good to see normal test results. I am suffering from chronic renal failure. The Dr isn't saying anything about my liver, though. I've had enzymes measured for when I took statins. But I can't take them any more; they lock my muscles up and cause excruciating, debilitating pain. I worked in the engine room when I was in the US Navy, and as a mechanic before and after I served. I've inhaled lots of friable asbestos. I seem to be OK, but time will tell. I'll be 64 next month. That is longer than all but one of my father's siblings lived. The rest died at about 58. That's 6 guys. Forget the chemicals we've been discussing. Every one of them smoked cigarettes, and every one of them died from the effects.

My mom lived with renal failure for some 35 years, and medicine was not as advanced then. She did go to dialysis the last ten years...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-09-2016, 08:12 PM
I shouldn't have put that out, here. I don't know what will kill me first. Please don't treat me like I have a limited time left to live- I'm tough as an alligator baggie! I'm not even on dialysis, yet. And that works for a LONG time. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-09-2016, 08:43 PM
(11-09-2016 08:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I shouldn't have put that out, here. I don't know what will kill me first. Please don't treat me like I have a limited time left to live- I'm tough as an alligator baggie! I'm not even on dialysis, yet. And that works for a LONG time. Yes

Just the facts. I see you kicking ass and not bothering to take names for some time Smile
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post