It's a Jungle Out There

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2016, 05:57 PM
It's a Jungle Out There
Wild animals make a lot of news - most of it is simply out of our reach. This thread tries to plug that gap. Feel free to share a memorable event by our cousins in the wild.

This hippo saves an antelope from African wild dogs. Then it kills the poor thing. Not sure if it mistook the antelope for one of the dogs.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2016, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 06:47 PM by yakherder.)
RE: It's a Jungle Out There
Most large, solitary, plant eating animals are territorial and extremely aggressive. Initially it was probably just pissed off that the doggies were having their hunt in its territory. Then once they were out of the way, it was just as pissed off that the antelope had the audacity to get stuck instead of running away. I doubt saving it was ever part of the plan.

As a kid in Alaska, I learned real quick that that the moose were far more dangerous than the wolves or bears despite what all the fairy tales wanted me to believe.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
27-12-2016, 07:04 PM
But moose are so cute Shy
[Image: moose-attack_o_462709.gif]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
27-12-2016, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 08:08 PM by ELK12695.)
(27-12-2016 06:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Most large, solitary, plant eating animals are territorial and extremely aggressive. Initially it was probably just pissed off that the doggies were having their hunt in its territory. Then once they were out of the way, it was just as pissed off that the antelope had the audacity to get stuck instead of running away. I doubt saving it was ever part of the plan.

As a kid in Alaska, I learned real quick that that the moose were far more dangerous than the wolves or bears despite what all the fairy tales wanted me to believe.

Ech. Just make a lot of noise when you're walking. I chase the fuckers out of the cornfields all the time. Moose oxes are more likely to run than to charge you, same as everything else. What you need to be somewhat concerned with are young males. They're curious, quick tempered, and like to get drunk from eating rotten apples. This causes them to waltz into the road and just stand there when grandma's tiny car mashes into them. In short, teenage Moose are about as dumb as human teenagers.

However, if you should ever get in a fight with em (mostly by startling an adult male or getting between a female and it's young), stay clear of the front legs. They can break your ribs in one kick. Get behind a solid tree or a big rock where they can't reach you, a dense forest is best. Also, rocky terrain works too. Moose can climb pretty well, but they're not as agile as you are in that terrian. In all cases, wait for em to calm down and bugger off. They're more scared of you than you are of them.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
27-12-2016, 07:42 PM
(27-12-2016 07:04 PM)cactus Wrote:  But moose are so cute Shy

That's not a moose. Dodgy

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
27-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Hippos are considered to be the the most dangerous land animal -- bar none...............

I wouldn't hunt one with anything less than an Abram's tank......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-12-2016, 08:26 PM
I once saw a show on hippos on the old National Geographic shows they used to run on PBS. Apparently it's an African saying to never get between the hippo and the water. Because, when the hippo is ready to go to the water, nothing in it's path is going to stop us.

As for moose, about 9 or so years ago my family and I took a vacation to the White Mountains up in New Hampshire. When we checked in to the campsite we got 2 warnings: keep your distance from the bears and completely avoid the moose. Bears could hurt you. Moose will kill you and not think twice (because apparently they barely speak at all).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
27-12-2016, 08:37 PM
(27-12-2016 07:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

That's not a moose. Dodgy

but it's equally as deadly Bechased

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
27-12-2016, 08:44 PM

That's not a moose. THIS is a moose.....

[Image: 67f9f4817d860d2c7191d02df0e6c1c8.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-12-2016, 08:55 PM
(27-12-2016 08:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's not a moose. THIS is a moose.....

[Image: 67f9f4817d860d2c7191d02df0e6c1c8.jpg]

Triggered Angry
You're not supposed to show depictions of Moosehammad.

[+] 5 users Like cactus's post