It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 03:54 PM
It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help?
I'm honestly tired of searching "games like X" to find games I like.

I don't like a specific genre. I don't like a specific type. I don't like anything specifically. If I could list my top 10 games, they would be from 10 different genres.

How come I can't find games that I like? The past few months I have tried maybe 50 games and I only like a couple of them. Am I too picky?

Well, here's a last desperate attempt to find something decent. I need something that will keep me playing for more than 1 minute.
Decent graphics are a requirement.
Good gameplay is of course important.
But the most important aspect is the atmosphere. The setting, the music, the sounds. I like to be transported to other worlds.
Oh, and maybe the only genre I don't like is strategy. And I don't like robots.

Here are some games I love and I'd love to play something similar. If you have anything I probably haven't heard of, please help.

Monkey Island, all of them (yeap, I tried Grim Fandango)
Mirror's Edge
Call of Duty
Crysis
Trauma
The Stanley Parable
Antichamber
The Walking Dead
Jurassic Park
Dear Esther (if it can be called a game)
Left 4 Dead
World of Goo
Limbo

See, I told you it would be a mess.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 04:37 PM
RE: It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help?
I don't see why.

They aren't going anywhere.

You mention Grim Fandango. If you didn't love Grim Fandango, you may not have any taste to speak of, so this may be a moot exercise. Tongue

Have you played Metro 2033? Stalker? Amnesia? Deus Ex? Jedi Knight? Zeno Clash? Trine?

For something really out there, the Void?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Quote:I don't like is strategy.

Well there in lays your problem.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
16-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Bastion is a must
Braid is nice, I think it inspired limbo in some ways
From Dust if you like god games
Pscyhonauts is another must
and The Cave

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-01-2014, 04:58 PM
(16-01-2014 04:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't see why.

You mention Grim Fandango. If you didn't love Grim Fandango, you may not have any taste to speak of, so this may be a moot exercise. Tongue

Have you played Metro 2033? Stalker? Amnesia? Deus Ex? Jedi Knight? Zeno Clash? Trine?

About Grim Fandango, I'm currently waiting for a friend to send it to me, I have only played a little, I just mentioned it so that it wouldn't be the first thing someone would mention Tongue

If you don't see why it's hard, imagine being someone who likes one game for every 100 he plays and trying to find something you like by looking at lists and lists and screenshots for hours.

I've heard about the Void but I'm really hesitant judging by the screenshots. If it's really worth it, I'll give it a try.

I've played Amnesia a bit but I'm trying to avoid horror games for now because I've been living alone for a while now Blush

I'll check out the rest, thanks! (See? I've been searching for games for a while now and I had never heard of half of the ones you mentioned.)

(16-01-2014 04:45 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Bastion is a must
and The Cave

Lately I don't really feel like playing games that look like... well, kids' games Blush Unless of course they are really, really worth it.

I have tried The Cave and it didn't really do anything for me. As for Limbo, it wasn't the gameplay as much as the atmosphere, the flow, the subtle music.

Hadn't heard of The Dust before. I wonder how I missed it. It looks good. Thanks!

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
16-01-2014, 05:11 PM
7D2D (seven days to die)
Its several game genres rolled into one. You will find something there, and its a solid game even if you don't multiplayer it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
16-01-2014, 05:52 PM
(16-01-2014 04:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 04:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't see why.

About Grim Fandango, I'm currently waiting for a friend to send it to me, I have only played a little, I just mentioned it so that it wouldn't be the first thing someone would mention Tongue

If you don't see why it's hard, imagine being someone who likes one game for every 100 he plays and trying to find something you like by looking at lists and lists and screenshots for hours.

I've heard about the Void but I'm really hesitant judging by the screenshots. If it's really worth it, I'll give it a try.

I've played Amnesia a bit but I'm trying to avoid horror games for now because I've been living alone for a while now Blush

I'll check out the rest, thanks! (See? I've been searching for games for a while now and I had never heard of half of the ones you mentioned.)

(16-01-2014 04:45 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Bastion is a must
and The Cave

Lately I don't really feel like playing games that look like... well, kids' games Blush Unless of course they are really, really worth it.

I have tried The Cave and it didn't really do anything for me. As for Limbo, it wasn't the gameplay as much as the atmosphere, the flow, the subtle music.

Hadn't heard of The Dust before. I wonder how I missed it. It looks good. Thanks!

If you have a thing for the atmosphere then try bastion too, it looks silly but it may very well be the most immersive game I played. It's odd, so maybe it isn't for everyone, but it's really good

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
16-01-2014, 10:05 PM
(16-01-2014 04:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  About Grim Fandango, I'm currently waiting for a friend to send it to me, I have only played a little, I just mentioned it so that it wouldn't be the first thing someone would mention Tongue

Ah, well, that's okay then.
(because Grim Fandango is a masterpiece)

(16-01-2014 04:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  If you don't see why it's hard, imagine being someone who likes one game for every 100 he plays and trying to find something you like by looking at lists and lists and screenshots for hours.

S'a joke, sister. You mean it's hard to find new good games. I would imagine the ones you have played to be pretty easy to find!

(16-01-2014 04:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I've heard about the Void but I'm really hesitant judging by the screenshots. If it's really worth it, I'll give it a try.

It's only the greatest ever!

I am not exaggerating. But download the difficulty patch, it'll make your life easier.

(16-01-2014 04:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I've played Amnesia a bit but I'm trying to avoid horror games for now because I've been living alone for a while now Blush

Well, I won't recommend System Shock 2, then. But if you're graphics-picky that might not fly anyway.

(have you played Bioshock? any of them?)

(16-01-2014 04:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'll check out the rest, thanks! (See? I've been searching for games for a while now and I had never heard of half of the ones you mentioned.)

Oh, trust me, they're all good. Tongue
(also look into Alpha Protocol)

When I say Deus Ex, I mean the first (the original) and the third (Human Revolution). For my money you can't top the (clunky graphics aside) original, but I am contractually obligated to mention Human Revolution because my uncle did some of the voicework and some Montreal landmarks make cameos.

... this is my signature!
16-01-2014, 10:43 PM
I found Alan Wake to be surprisingly good. Dont cheap out and try Alan wakes american nightmare, it sucks. Just get Alan wake when its on steam sale.
17-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Not sure what you're playing on, but I'll just throw some game titles out in the open that I have/and/or are playing:

Assassin's Creed 3 (or 4)
Battlefield 3 (cause 4 sucks, although I hear it's getting better)
Far Cry 3
Gears of War (series)
GTA 5 (or 4)
Minecraft (Duh)
N+ (I think Xbox only)
Sleeping Dogs
Titan Fall (Comes recommended by my friend)

Also, if you have Xbox live gold they have game sales constantly (called Free Games with Gold). I've gotten so many free games or 50/60/75 % off games. I've spent maybe, MAYBE $50 on the above mentioned games (including dlc and others can't remember off the top of my head)

Atir aissom atir imon