It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 02:47 PM
RE: It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help?
(20-01-2014 02:41 PM)MegaHentai Wrote:  Question: what machine(s) are you working with?

Aaaah right. I forgot to mention that. Just a PC. I do have a PS2, but I don't really use it. I will if I have to though Big Grin

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2014, 04:59 PM
(20-01-2014 02:47 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I do have a PS2, but I don't really use it. I will if I have to though Big Grin

Bumpy Trot.

(it is a ps2 game)

... this is my signature!
20-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Your likes/dislikes are all over the chart, so instead of recommending games from genres, I'll do my own "if you like x you'll love x" recommendations for you.

Monkey Island -> Day of the Tentacle (it's old as balls but it's one of my favorite childhood games) or the Sam & Max series

The Walking Dead -> The Wolf Among Us (amazing premise, fairy tales in real life, but you might want to wait for a few more episodes to come out because...) and Walking Dead Season 2 (they will be releasing alternating Wolf episodes with WD episodes every other month)

Crysis/Call of Duty -> RAGE and Metro: Last Night are both interesting FPS games

And here are some random games from my collection, mostly from Steam discounts: Borderlands 2, Faster than Light (greenlight spaceship project), LA Noire, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Bioshock Infinite, and for a random gem, try Ghost Master, where you control ghosts and try to scare the crap out of people.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-01-2014, 06:14 PM
(16-01-2014 03:54 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm honestly tired of searching "games like X" to find games I like.

I don't like a specific genre. I don't like a specific type. I don't like anything specifically. If I could list my top 10 games, they would be from 10 different genres.

How come I can't find games that I like? The past few months I have tried maybe 50 games and I only like a couple of them. Am I too picky?

Well, here's a last desperate attempt to find something decent. I need something that will keep me playing for more than 1 minute.
Decent graphics are a requirement.
Good gameplay is of course important.
But the most important aspect is the atmosphere. The setting, the music, the sounds. I like to be transported to other worlds.
Oh, and maybe the only genre I don't like is strategy. And I don't like robots.

Here are some games I love and I'd love to play something similar. If you have anything I probably haven't heard of, please help.

Monkey Island, all of them (yeap, I tried Grim Fandango)
Mirror's Edge
Call of Duty
Crysis
Trauma
The Stanley Parable
Antichamber
The Walking Dead
Jurassic Park
Dear Esther (if it can be called a game)
Left 4 Dead
World of Goo
Limbo

See, I told you it would be a mess.

At the moment I'm playing Skyrim, Borderland 2, and Dishonored. I'd recommend those.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
20-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Duh, get emulators and play all dem retro games.
20-01-2014, 07:05 PM
(16-01-2014 03:54 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm honestly tired of searching "games like X" to find games I like.

I don't like a specific genre. I don't like a specific type. I don't like anything specifically. If I could list my top 10 games, they would be from 10 different genres.

How come I can't find games that I like? The past few months I have tried maybe 50 games and I only like a couple of them. Am I too picky?

Well, here's a last desperate attempt to find something decent. I need something that will keep me playing for more than 1 minute.
Decent graphics are a requirement.
Good gameplay is of course important.
But the most important aspect is the atmosphere. The setting, the music, the sounds. I like to be transported to other worlds.
Oh, and maybe the only genre I don't like is strategy. And I don't like robots.

Here are some games I love and I'd love to play something similar. If you have anything I probably haven't heard of, please help.

Monkey Island, all of them (yeap, I tried Grim Fandango)
Mirror's Edge
Call of Duty
Crysis
Trauma
The Stanley Parable
Antichamber
The Walking Dead
Jurassic Park
Dear Esther (if it can be called a game)
Left 4 Dead
World of Goo
Limbo

See, I told you it would be a mess.

You know what you need to play?

Superman 64.

I feel that everybody should play Superman 64 for a couple hours at least once in their life so that they can appreciate what gaming has now.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-01-2014, 07:34 PM
(20-01-2014 07:05 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know what you need to play?

Superman 64.

I feel that everybody should play Superman 64 for a couple hours at least once in their life so that they can appreciate what gaming has now.

Oh! Yes!

But not just Superman 64.

Start with ET. Action 52. Shaq Fu. Superman 64. Daikatana...

Gotta put it in its historical place, y'know?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
31-01-2014, 07:43 PM
The Last of Us
Portal 1,2
Journey
Titanfall is super fun but you have to wait until March
31-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Based on your list Undergp. You would really like "runaway" https://store.steampowered.com/app/7210

Come closest to capturing the original monkey island magic, more so than the newer monkey island games.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
03-02-2014, 04:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 04:06 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-01-2014 07:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 07:05 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know what you need to play?

Superman 64.

Oh! Yes!

But not just Superman 64.

Start with ET. Action 52. Shaq Fu. Superman 64. Daikatana...

Gotta put it in its historical place, y'know?

Yabut, Daikatana actually worked and was playable. It just likes to get tossed in there because of the game's obnoxious advertising and over-long troubled development for what was ultimately a buggy and entirely mediocre experience. Sorta like Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Seriously, look at this pretentious tripe...

[Image: Daikatana_ad_-_John_Romero_is_about_to_m...t_down.jpg]

Dodgy

So yes, if it wasn't for Borderlands, we should be out there with pitchforks and angry mods to track down Randy Pitchford.

[Image: alienscolonialcrap.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]