It's groundhog day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2018, 10:17 AM
It's groundhog day!
Aaaaand.......

Groundhog Punxsutawney Phil predicts six more weeks of winter.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
02-02-2018, 10:32 AM
RE: It's groundhog day!
We're screwed.
Little bastard saw his shadow.

[Image: 190870.png]

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
02-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Laugh out load Bowing

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
02-02-2018, 10:39 AM
He seems to always see his shadow.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
02-02-2018, 10:40 AM
I agree with Phil this time, but his rate of accuracy often leaves something to be desired. Once in grad school (we were near Punxy, I never took the Party Bus for Groundhog Day to it), we had a classroom discussion on the reliability and validity of magical rodent based weather forecasting and then did a simple analysis on how often he was wrong, showing that he is not a valid source of predictions. Tongue

Edit:
(02-02-2018 10:39 AM)pablo Wrote:  He seems to always see his shadow.

Pablo, are you trying to say it's a sham and the Inner Circle does not speak Groundhogese to a magic groundhog who is immortal due to the elixir they give him each year?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
02-02-2018, 10:48 AM
(02-02-2018 10:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Aaaaand.......

Groundhog Punxsutawney Phil predicts six more weeks of winter.

If we pull 45 out of the White House and he doesn't see his shadow does that mean he'll jump the shark sooner rather than later?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2018, 10:52 AM
(02-02-2018 10:39 AM)pablo Wrote:  He seems to always see his shadow.

Obviously, he's a shady character whose "prognostications" should never see the light of day. But it's still totally his fault!

[Image: c94adddf402ae18d74e814af46f2bbe6--weathe...e-dogs.jpg]

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
02-02-2018, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2018 11:46 AM by kim.)
So, I was looking at the google machine and saw the phrase, "scholarly articles on groundhog prediction". Dodgy

Do people actually think this "prediction" crap is real? And is it being reinforced with sentances like:
"How accurate are Punxsutawney Phil's predictions? Phil may be the most famous groundhog in the U.S., but he isn't the most accurate. The four-legged creature only has a 39 percent accuracy, according to Stormfax Almanac's data. Phil sees his shadow about 85 percent of the time."

Bear in mind, I'm not doubting Stormfax Almanac's data ... that 85% simply refers to one obese rodent seeing it's shadow, on one specific day of the year. That is an easy statistic to keep track of.

But the notion that such a house-rigged statistic might be factual, strikes me in the too-preposterous-to-be-funny area of my brain. It's further proof that people - Americans in particular - just don't pay attention, have little cognitive reasoning, and completely miss the fucking joke! That last part is really what slightly chaps my ass. Dodgy

If satire is lost, the terrorists win. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
02-02-2018, 11:13 AM
[Image: c9a0f10aebad6bde65a4d1e5099927d8--save-t...-earth.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 8 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-02-2018, 12:26 PM
All the tv lights kind of guarantee a shadow, I’d think.