It's groundhog day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2018, 12:47 PM
RE: It's groundhog day!
(02-02-2018 10:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Aaaaand.......

Groundhog Punxsutawney Phil predicts six more weeks of winter.

Fuck that guy.

The computer scientist in me thinks we should use a blind groundhog for this whole thing. There's nothing in the requirements document saying that we can't, and it would yield the results we want.

Code:
if (shadow.seen())
{
  winterWeeks += 6;
}
else
{
  // Early spring.
  // TODO: define this shit.
}

I'm assuming somewhere in that seen() method, we have to take into account if the groundhog can actually see. Problem solved!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-02-2018, 01:52 PM
(02-02-2018 12:47 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Fuck that guy.

The computer scientist in me thinks we should use a blind groundhog for this whole thing. There's nothing in the requirements document saying that we can't, and it would yield the results we want.

Code:
if (shadow.seen())
{
  winterWeeks += 6;
}
else
{
  // Early spring.
  // TODO: define this shit.
}

I'm assuming somewhere in that seen() method, we have to take into account if the groundhog can actually see. Problem solved!

Dodgy

My stance has now morphed from there are 6 weeks of winter regardless of shadowed or shadowless rodents to, this is just another sad excuse for Americans to take drugs/drink profusely - and oh, lookey - just in time for Superbowl weekend!

Iz true. I knowz. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-02-2018, 03:19 PM
(02-02-2018 11:11 AM)kim Wrote:  So, I was looking at the google machine and saw the phrase, "scholarly articles on groundhog prediction". Dodgy

Do people actually think this "prediction" crap is real? And is it being reinforced with sentances like:
"How accurate are Punxsutawney Phil's predictions? Phil may be the most famous groundhog in the U.S., but he isn't the most accurate. The four-legged creature only has a 39 percent accuracy, according to Stormfax Almanac's data. Phil sees his shadow about 85 percent of the time."

Bear in mind, I'm not doubting Stormfax Almanac's data ... that 85% simply refers to one obese rodent seeing it's shadow, on one specific day of the year. That is an easy statistic to keep track of.

But the notion that such a house-rigged statistic might be factual, strikes me in the too-preposterous-to-be-funny area of my brain. It's further proof that people - Americans in particular - just don't pay attention, have little cognitive reasoning, and completely miss the fucking joke! That last part is really what slightly chaps my ass. Dodgy

If satire is lost, the terrorists win. Undecided
Some years ago I read an article that compared the accuracy of long-range weather forecasting by The Farmer's Almanac with that of the National Weather Service.

The farmers, with their observations of fuzzy caterpillars, bee swarms, cricket chirps, tree moss and such, had achieved an average accuracy of about 75%. Not great, but better than you'd expect from random guessing, at least.

The NWS, with their scientific expertise -- and millions of dollars of technological measuring gear, computers, global satellite observations, etc. -- had managed to push the accuracy of long-range weather prediction all the way up to 78%.

Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
02-02-2018, 03:46 PM
And now it's time for ....

Spoiler Alert
Vernal equinox (end of winter, beginning of spring) is always about 6 weeks from February 2.

I'm too
pedantic
for my shirt.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
02-02-2018, 06:41 PM
(02-02-2018 10:48 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  

If we pull 45 out of the White House and he doesn't see his shadow does that mean he'll jump the shark sooner rather than later?

At this point if he went rolling around the front lawn of the White House stark nekkid in the snow his supporters would admire his brave choice, anyone who criticized him would be fake news and if he were asked to hold himself accountable he would blame Hillary.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
02-02-2018, 09:34 PM
(02-02-2018 12:26 PM)julep Wrote:  All the tv lights kind of guarantee a shadow, I’d think.

smart ass

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post