"It's in their culture. You have no right to judge."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 08:54 PM by Misanthropik.)
"It's in their culture. You have no right to judge."
I'm a bit tipsy right now, and thus, a bit emotional. However, this is a rare occasion when I'm actually blood-boilingly angry.

I got into a spat with an absolute moron on Facebook who believes that the goings on of a particular culture is not for anyone else to judge. Specifically, we were speaking about the various atrocities carried out in the name of culture or religion; such as the mutilation of female genitals, women being forced to cover their faces in accordance with a misogynistic society, children undergoing various other forms of bodily mutilation/alteration, etc.

I think myself to be a fairly decent human being. I have my moments, but overall, I don't generally advocate the unnecessary harm of other people. I believe that slicing off a little girl's clit is wrong. I believe forcing a woman into subjugation is wrong. I believe altering the skull-shape of an infant is wrong. I believe hacking off part of an infant's penis is wrong. I believe, in general, that inflicting non-medical harm upon the body of a non-consenting individual is wrong. Personally, I don't see how a decent individual could view such acts as anything but wrong.

But this moron…this…vacuous fucking dipshit tells me that I'm "arrogant" for passing judgment on these people. By his logic (and this DID enter the conversation), I am not to pass judgment on a culture which (hypothetically) believes it is proper to anally rape infant children in order to appease the gods with their blood-curdling screams. He tells me that I am not in the position to speak against this because 1) I am not in any position to decide what is and what is not "wrong", 2) I was lucky enough to be born into a 1st-world country and am thus removed from the business of others, and 3) they have been engaging in their cultural practices for millennia and how fucking dare I try to change that.

Am I the asshole, here? Please tell me I'm not. If a culture believes in the hypothetical extreme of anally raping young children, am I an asshole for saying "Hold the fucking phone; NO. This should not be happening"? Am I an asshole for speaking against the genital mutilation of children? I look around and see that these are fucking WRONGS, people. And this asshole (in addition to all of his friends) wants nothing more than to convince me that I should shut the fuck up and keep to myself.

I know for a fact I'm not the only one who knows that that's bullshit. We know a wrong when we see it and we don't allow bullshit cultural differences stand in our way. I don't give a fuck who or what you are: assaulting a child is wrong. Period. And yet, these people believe - quite steadfastly - that it's ok because "it's in their culture and they've been doing it for a long time". This mindset needs to fucking DIE. Agreed?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
03-03-2014, 09:01 PM
RE: "It's in their culture. You have no right to judge."
Your probably an asshole,Consider but for other reasons jk.

But on the issue you raise I think your correct, It's just not reasonable to be indifferent to human suffering because of "Cultural" rights, there is a limit/line in allowing ethnic groups to exercise their rights to protect their legacy/heritage.

If an act harms human decency/dignity to the individual or the group as a whole (based on a majority UN vote with no vetoes), then steps should be made by the UN to eliminate that practice.
Losing some of our diverse cultural traditions is a lesser evil then losing our collective humanity.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
03-03-2014, 09:08 PM
1) No you're not (in this instance Tongue )the asshole
2) Agreed
3) Even if the person you're talking to wants, more than anything else, to be sacrificed to the gods, they are doing so because their heads have been filled with lies & bullshit. Therefore "saving" someone from a like fate wouldn't be something I would frown on!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
03-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Alright, I think a secondary goal of this thread needs to be a detailed explanation of how I'm an asshole. lol

Not that I disagree, but, I'm curious. Tongue

03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
(03-03-2014 08:50 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  ...I believe forcing a woman into subjugation is wrong.

You're a man. You should go and force all those women OUT of their religion.
Dont ask them. Just intervene and do it. It's for their own good. *wink* Blokes know best right?

(03-03-2014 08:50 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  ...I believe hacking off part of an infant's penis is wrong.

...unless the baby isnt born yet, in which case it's HER body, HER penis, and you have no right to judge what she does.
03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
(03-03-2014 09:12 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 08:50 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  ...I believe forcing a woman into subjugation is wrong.

You're a man. You should go and force all those women OUT of their religion.
Dont ask them. Just intervene and do it. It's for their own good. *wink* Blokes know best right?

(03-03-2014 08:50 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  ...I believe hacking off part of an infant's penis is wrong.

...unless the baby isnt born yet, in which case it's HER body, HER penis, and you have no right to judge what she does.

Negs. Drinking Beverage

03-03-2014, 09:18 PM
(03-03-2014 09:11 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Alright, I think a secondary goal of this thread needs to be a detailed explanation of how I'm an asshole. lol

If I were to call Lion IRC a complete piece of dogshit, I'd technically be acting like an asshole.... Dodgy
But I don't think I'd be looked down on for doing so by some people Tongue

[+] 6 users Like TheGulegon's post
03-03-2014, 09:19 PM
(03-03-2014 09:18 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 09:11 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Alright, I think a secondary goal of this thread needs to be a detailed explanation of how I'm an asshole. lol

If I were to call Lion IRC a complete piece of dogshit, I'd technically be acting like an asshole.... Dodgy

Point taken. lol

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
03-03-2014, 09:20 PM
(03-03-2014 09:18 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

You're right, it's be a real asshole move to insult dog shit like that Dodgy

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
03-03-2014, 09:22 PM
You have every right to judge. You may not have the right to go in and drop bombs on them because you dislike their culture.

[Image: photo+(3).JPG]

like xtians did.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post