"It's just how I was raised."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2013, 01:06 AM
RE: "It's just how I was raised."
(02-10-2013 12:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, you are simply too stupid to make clear arguments. Drinking Beverage

Chas, the reason they are unclear to you is because you have the cognitive ability of a pubic louse. Drinking Beverage

Better watch out Chas, you get too snippy with him, and he'll add you to his ignore list too! Weeping

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2013, 05:21 AM
(02-10-2013 01:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 12:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Chas, the reason they are unclear to you is because you have the cognitive ability of a pubic louse. Drinking Beverage

Better watch out Chas, you get too snippy with him, and he'll add you to his ignore list too! Weeping

You say that like it's a bad thing. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-10-2013, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 06:59 AM by Cathym112.)
Everyone, I'm trying to genuinely understand something. Philo accused me, repeatedly, of "putting words in his mouth" and basically not understanding what he was saying. He said that he never made the correlation between gays marrying and a decrease of the population. However, I asked him on a very personal level, what he had against gay marriage, this was his response.

(29-09-2013 11:32 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Philo - you said you are not religious. My mistake. The way you are okay with discrimination of an entire population of people mirrors the behavior of a lot of religious people. I genuinely can't understand how you would be supportive of a culture that discriminates against an entire group of people based on an arbitrary concept. black and whites being "separate but equal" for example as an apt comparison to civil unions and marriages being "separate but equal". I also don't understand how you don't see this as discrimination. I honestly don't understand. You are, admittedly, the first atheist I've ever met who didn't support equal rights for everyone. Please help me understand where you are coming from personally. Surely you have the capacity for self reflection.

(29-09-2013 01:58 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  You asked a good question about my background, because I think it did play an important role of molding my beliefs into what they are.

I hope you now understand a bit more why it saddens me to see such low birth rates in my country and in most of European countries as well. In the long term, we're dying off.

Is it really that much to demand at least an institution that merits the kind of relation that renews the society? Take civil unions, take adoption, common property, inheritance rights... But leave us at least the title "marriage." How could that possibly be unfair??

Why bring this population renewal up in direct response to a question as to why someone opposes it, if you are not making the argument that homosexuals can't renew the population? (purely on their own, of course not, but he didn't apply that same stigma/standard to infertile couples)

He also said that he never made the argument from tradition, yet:

(30-09-2013 02:04 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  Irrelevant, because I never used the argument from tradition.

(29-09-2013 05:24 AM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  Marriage has been monogamous and heterosexual for cca. 2,000 years and it has worked.

what else is that except an argument from tradition? Seriously...I'm trying to understand if my reading comprehension needs work.

He says he didn't make blame women in the work force for a decrease in work force, but did he not make a circular argument that

(30-09-2013 02:04 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  women are now in the workforce it has unfortunately led to a decreased desire to have children - much to the detriment of national birth rates. . Pension and social security systems are already becoming overburdened because of a smaller number of people entering the workforce, and it is estimated that a shortage of workers may happen sooner than we may think. And this would affect all of us, in a negative way.

If he didn't say that women in the workforce lead to decreased desire for children, which in turn reduces the next generation for the workforce, than what - exactly - was his point?

I could go on, but seriously, what am I missing here? Constructive criticism of my debating and reading comprehension skills is appreciated. Emphasis on constructive.

I'm not looking for anyone to gang up on Philo, or bash him. I'm trying to understand my mistakes (if I made any) and learn from it
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
02-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Based on the quotes I think you've pretty conclusively demonstrated that your reading comprehension is within the normal range.
02-10-2013, 07:24 AM
While I don't really think that I need to elaborate my basic argument further than I have, there is always room for more information. In this light, I present John Corvino tackling the some of the most common arguments against homosexuality in general. In addition are a few of his short YouTube specific vignettes refuting arguments against marriage equality. He has his own YouTube channel and it can be found HERE.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I had never heard of this guy before! Awesome!! Thank you for sharing!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
(02-10-2013 05:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 01:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Better watch out Chas, you get too snippy with him, and he'll add you to his ignore list too! Weeping

You say that like it's a bad thing. Consider

I doubt I ever ignore you Chas. You see I get this feeling that EvolutionKills purposely tries to be a dickhead, while you Bucky are simply born that way. I'm willing to give you two a whole lot more latitude than I give EvolutionKills because your assholeness is not really your fault.
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 03:19 PM by Chas.)
(03-10-2013 02:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 05:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  You say that like it's a bad thing. Consider

I doubt I ever ignore you Chas. You see I get this feeling that EvolutionKills purposely tries to be a dickhead, while you Bucky are simply born that way. I'm willing to give you two a whole lot more latitude than I give EvolutionKills because your assholeness is not really your fault.

Except I'm only rude to total assholes like you. Funny that. Consider

I used to play ice hockey. When the opponents were behind and started getting rough and taunting, we'd skate back, smile, and point our sticks at the scoreboard.

Chas: 104 Heywood: -7 Laughat

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 04:00 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(03-10-2013 03:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 02:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I doubt I ever ignore you Chas. You see I get this feeling that EvolutionKills purposely tries to be a dickhead, while you Bucky are simply born that way. I'm willing to give you two a whole lot more latitude than I give EvolutionKills because your assholeness is not really your fault.

Except I'm only rude to total assholes like you. Funny that. Consider

I used to play ice hockey. When the opponents were behind and started getting rough and taunting, we'd skate back, smile, and point our sticks at the scoreboard.

Chas: 104 Heywood: -7 Laughat

Reputation isn't some score in a contest you dumbass. Its a reflection of how much the home team likes you. The home team likes you better than me, I'll grant you that.
03-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Heywood - It has nothing to do with the home team or not. You never seem to directly answer the questions asked, but rather distract by making an ultimately unrelated analogy or point.

Further - when you do it - you are kinda a dick about it. I have tons of religious friends, so your religious demonination is irrelevant. What is relevant is your doughbaggery

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post