"It's just....weird"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2012, 07:11 PM
"It's just....weird"
My coworker today said she never liked Alice in Wonderland. When I asked why, she said, "It's just...weird." And she said she feels the same about The Wizard of Oz. She's Catholic, but for a few months I've wondered if she actually believes the stuff her religion teaches. But it wouldn't bode well to discuss religion in the workplace, especially with this person. I did ask her what she thinks of the Narnia books, and she said, "they're OK.....but they're weird, too." Just found that interesting.

Cheers,
Valerie[/color]

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
RE: "It's just....weird"
I also dont like alice in wonderland or the wizard of oz.
I've only read one or two of the narnia books and I didn't like it either.
It's not that strange though her answers are incredibly vague which would force me to inquire further.
Everything is weird to someone the real question is why.
I didn't like any of those because they were terrible stories two of which were told very poorly and one of which just wasn't up my alley for some reason I have yet to define.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Too surreal, is what she meant, based on later discussion...she seems to prefer down-to-earth, realistic things...no matter that she doesn't like them in general, but curious that she doesn't like them and yet might not feel the same way about the bible. Apologies for not being more clear.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
08-02-2012, 08:31 PM
The bible is familiar and she doesn't need to use her mind: somebody always interprets it - and most believers don't actually read the bible; they just hear someone quote a few chosen passages, or refer to a few stories, which happened a long time ago, not in our present world.

The bible is usually regarded as something unique onto itself - by people who don't read other mythologies. In fact, those books you mention owe a conceptual debt to mythology, or at least to legend.

Your colleague's problem, i think, is that she's not been allowed to develop her imagination and is afraid of it. A foray into realms where natural law is suspended by a human agency (the author) is risky: creativity is too great a power - you just don't know where someone with that power will lead you.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2012, 06:22 AM
"it's just weird" is not a real answer in my opinion...
there have to be triggers that make you feel weird about something.
Like "talking bunnies and that queen of hearts are just too much for me" would be more acceptable...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
09-02-2012, 06:33 AM
This person thinks that those books are too weird!?
Don't let her near me or I will break her fragile mind with the things I witness everyday.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
15-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Alice in wonderland isn’t that weird, it’s a little odd but I’ve read stranger things than that.
Sounds like someone has had a very insulated life, the poor thing.

Get her a Salvador Dali calendar, it’s a harmless gift…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche