"It's not a religion. It's Christianity."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2015, 03:14 AM
Or "it's not a cookie, mummy. It is a fig newton."

I'm not exactly sure what fallacy this is under. Maybe some form of No True Scottsman? I don't know. It's taking exceptionalism to the next level.

Christian exceptionalism is basically saying, "Our religion is the one true religion." Uh uh. No, there's another group of Christians out there (my mom is one), who try to throw a wrench in the debate machine and say, "But no, Christianity isn't even a religion. Jesus was against religion."

It's one of the things my mom threw at me when I came out to her as an atheist. "But you're talking about religion. Jesus was against religion. He hated it. What I have is not religion. It's faith. I believe in Jesus love. There's no extra rules to follow. He just asks that you believe in Him."

Now I still stuck with it, telling her I was an atheist. Mostly because as you may have seen in another thread of mine, I wasn't trying to debate. But I feel like I could have had a response to that. Then of course it would turn into a debate.

I'm sure many of you have heard this before. If you haven't, don't let them throw you off with what I call "Fig Newton Christianity". Or, well, at least from my perspective, the moment you say "I believe in God", it's a religion. You can argue it's a good religion. You can say that your religion isn't oppressive and judgmental the way others are. But... it's a religion.

It's also kind of like (I guess in a more negative context) when some people go see a movie, and then they say, "That sucked. That wasn't even a movie." And I fucking hate that. No, it's a movie, okay. You can say it's a bad movie. But it fits the definition of a "motion picture". Or when you say, "this wasn't even a film". Dude, was it filmed? Then it's a film!"

Sorry about that last paragraph there. Talk about a tangent.

Anyway "Christianity is not a religion". Discuss:

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
14-06-2015, 03:36 AM
RE: "It's not a religion. It's Christianity."
The Tangent.

Having never been a believer, that's all I got!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-06-2015, 04:10 AM
It's just a purer form of "ain't I grand???"...

Little people, pretending they're important.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-06-2015, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 05:56 AM by TheInquisition.)
Sort of like saying it's not a cup, it's a glass. Why is this even a relevant distinction?
It's just another way of pretending their belief system is somehow better than mere religion.

Though maybe they're conveying a fundamentally flawed part of Christianity in this statement. They're implying it's a worldview, and every Christian concocts their own worldview and it never mirrors what the bible says, it digresses significantly at several points.

How could it? The bible is simply a book that can be interpreted any way you wish it to be. Don't like a 6,000 year old Earth? Reinterpret it to make a day into an age!

Just make it up as you go along, pull everything out of your ass and then argue how everything you believe is scripturally sound and the Truth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
14-06-2015, 06:01 AM
I'm sure your mother is intelligent when it comes to other aspects in life. This reminds me of a young guy, whose name I forget, who has YouTube videos denouncing religion and churches while preaching Jesus and starting his own church.

I'm not sure how people connect these dots in their heads.
14-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I have a niece in some sort of christian cult or group who say: "More Jesus, less religion".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-06-2015, 07:22 AM
This line of thinking is a form of nationalism. American Exceptionalism (and the idea of the Aryan Race) came to mind when I read the OP.
14-06-2015, 07:22 AM
(14-06-2015 07:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yeah, I have a niece in some sort of christian cult or group who say: "More Jesus, less religion".

WTF????? Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
14-06-2015, 07:24 AM
(14-06-2015 07:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(14-06-2015 07:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yeah, I have a niece in some sort of christian cult or group who say: "More Jesus, less religion".

WTF????? Big Grin

Yep.

What they mean to say is that they don't believe in religious rituals and churches, but they believe in Jesus.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Yeah I get it. Everyone creates the Jesus that best fits themselves.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post