"It's not a religion. It's Christianity."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: "It's not a religion. It's Christianity."
(14-06-2015 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah I get it. Everyone creates the Jesus that best fits themselves.

Exactly. An imaginary friend, that's exactly what it is.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-06-2015, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 12:02 PM by kim.)
(14-06-2015 07:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-06-2015 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah I get it. Everyone creates the Jesus that best fits themselves.

If they could take it just one step further they'd realize ... that imaginary friend is the part of their self which demands attention, demands worship: ego.

Why anyone would worship someone else's ego, when they have their own they can barely keep track of, is beyond me. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-06-2015, 11:34 AM
"Its not magic, it's a miracle." One of the best lines I have heard.

I just chalk it up to brainwashing.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
14-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Yeah, from my perspective it's two things.

1.) Personal. A way to distance yourself from all the shit that makes what you are labeled so shitty. It's the same thing evolution deniers do: "I'm NOT an ape! We did NOT come from monkeys!!! NO! Not an animal!!!"

2.) A new way to sell an old product. Going back to that fig newton thing. It's basically I picture like some cool, hip, youth pastor like, "Hey, man. Yeah, I know, religion blows. All those rules and stuff. But check it. Christianity ain't no religion, dawg. Ya heard? Yo, Jesus ain't down with religion. He just wants you, man. That's deep!"

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
15-06-2015, 04:35 PM
(14-06-2015 07:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  

All my friends are imaginary. Weeping

#sigh
15-06-2015, 05:27 PM
It's not delivery. It's Digorno!
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
15-06-2015, 05:33 PM
As a first step to denying churches money. I'm all for it.

Be more christ like christians. Drink more wine. Hang out with prostitutes and then go wander in the desert for a long time.

If you need a volunteer to crucify you, go find yourself a willing atheist. We'll need to be paid up front.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-06-2015, 06:29 AM
(14-06-2015 03:14 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  "But you're talking about religion. Jesus was against religion. He hated it. What I have is not religion. It's faith. I believe in Jesus love. There's no extra rules to follow. He just asks that you believe in Him."

That's it? I'm pretty sure if she reads the Gospels, she'd find Jesus asks a few more things than that.

If Jesus couldn't morph to fit the needs of his followers, he'd have fewer followers.
16-06-2015, 09:58 AM
I always used to say: "It's not a religion, it's a relationship."

The claim is usually made as a form of special pleading, to claim a unique status for Christianity among the world's religions, or in an attempt to recruit people disillusioned with their previous religion.

Here are some problems with the claim though:

Christianity behaves like a religion.
Christians gather for communal worship and prayers. They use their faith as a source of social ritual for purposes such as births, weddings, and funerals. Christianity's social expression and function is, very simply, not much different from other faiths. The claim that Christianity is not a religion would appear to be as empty as the Roman Catholic Church's claim that the saints it prays to are not deities, even while they are the target of believers' prayers and their cult images receive offerings and are carried around in public processions.
Similarly, the "personal relationship" of some Christians with Jesus is not appreciably different from the relationship of a Hindu with Vishnu or any of the other deities. Yes, according to Christianity, Jesus is a deity who once was incarnated as a man; but Vishnu[wp] has several incarnations, including Krishna and Rama, and the 'relationship' between a Christian devotee and Jesus is not perceptibly different to an outsider's eyes than the relationship of a Vaishnava with Krishna.

Christianity calls itself a religion
Protestant leaders such as Martin Luther called the religion a religion: "A religion that gives nothing, costs nothing, and suffers nothing, is worth nothing." John Calvin called his chief theological treatise the Institutes of the Christian Religion. Roman Catholicism acknowledges that it is a religion: "Still, the Christian faith is not a 'religion of the book.' Christianity is the religion of the 'Word' of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living". If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, 'open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures.'

The New Testament uses "religion" for the thing it espouses twice:
James 1:26-27: "Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
1 Timothy 5:4: "But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God."

Sources: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Christianit...a_religion

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post