It's not that they don't like us, they just don't trust us.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2011, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2011 06:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
It's not that they don't like us, they just don't trust us.
Can't say I blame them, but come on, you mistrust me as much as a rapist? Seriously?

Do You Believe in Atheists? Distrust Is Central to Anti-Atheist Prejudice

Abstract:

"Recent polls indicate that atheists are among the least liked people in areas with religious majorities (i.e., in most of the world). The sociofunctional approach to prejudice, combined with a cultural evolutionary theory of religion’s effects on cooperation, suggest that anti-atheist prejudice is particularly motivated by distrust. Consistent with this theoretical framework, a broad sample of American adults revealed that distrust characterized anti-atheist prejudice but not anti-gay prejudice (Study 1). In subsequent studies, distrust of atheists generalized even to participants from more liberal, secular populations. A description of a criminally untrustworthy individual was seen as comparably representative of atheists and rapists but not representative of Christians, Muslims, Jewish people, feminists, or homosexuals (Studies 2–4). In addition, results were consistent with the hypothesis that the relationship between belief in God and atheist distrust was fully mediated by the belief that people behave better if they feel that God is watching them (Study 4). In implicit measures, participants strongly associated atheists with distrust, and belief in God was more strongly associated with implicit distrust of atheists than with implicit dislike of atheists (Study 5). Finally, atheists were systematically socially excluded only in high-trust domains; belief in God, but not authoritarianism, predicted this discriminatory decision-making against atheists in high trust domains (Study 6). These 6 studies are the first to systematically explore the social psychological underpinnings of anti-atheist prejudice, and converge to indicate the centrality of distrust in this phenomenon."

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2011, 07:07 PM
RE: It's not that they don't like us, they just don't trust us.
Didn't I just write on that? Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I find that funny. Of anyone is to be distrusted based off of statistics is Christians. There are more recorded Christians in both American and Canadian prisons than atheists. But the religion itself is sort of centered around the concept of survival and one of those ideals is an immediate distrust of anyone not like them.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-11-2011, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2011 07:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-11-2011 07:07 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Didn't I just write on that? Wink

Damn. Why yes, yes you did. My bad. That was inexcusably lazy of me. But you can get the full text for free. I'll repost the link in your thread.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
30-11-2011, 08:24 PM
They mistrust me because I'm an atheist? That is wrong on so many levels it's funny. They should mistrust me because I'm me. That alone is enough to warrant any level of mistrust.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 5 users Like Hamata k's post
30-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Dude, it's the fourth identity. The sooner "atheism" realizes this, the sooner theism is cooked.

But yeah, denying "god" to the theist sets up a reciprocal response where the atheist is less than human. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-11-2011, 09:38 PM
My Christian friends beat their kids and shoot their dog if they misbehave. I try as much as possible to preserve life, nurture individuality and I value trust.

Hmmm....
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
30-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I was excited when I read that one of the authors was Gervais, but disappointed when I saw it wasn't Ricky Gervais.

From my anecdotal experience, it's not that Christians distrust Atheists, it's just that any rational being is going to be a bit intimidated by Satan Worshipers.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
“In addition, results were consistent with the hypothesis that the relationship between belief in God and atheist distrust was fully mediated by the belief that people behave better if they feel that God is watching them”

Are these the same watched people who will blatantly rip others off then go to church for forgiveness?
And they don’t trust us?
From memory I think that in the USA it’s about 96% of inmates are religious. (You might want to check that, it was of some TV prison thing)
But if true I doubt that 96% of the population is religious

The born agains that are ex gang members make me laugh.
All the shit and misery they caused and now they have been forgiven?
Wouldn’t trust one as far as I could spit him!

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Well to be honest I would expect 96% of the prison inmates in USA to be religious, since 96% (or something like that right?) of the population is religious. That doesn’t mean religious people are more criminal than atheists. Based only on that information, it would be a sign of equal criminal tendencies among the two different groups.

But I would assume there are many more parameters to be considered if one is to make any conclusions about such a thing.

Anyways.... LOL @ religious people!