It's not that they don't like us, they just don't trust us.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 07:30 AM
RE: It's not that they don't like us, they just don't trust us.
(04-12-2011 06:31 AM)Jakel Wrote:  Well to be honest I would expect 96% of the prison inmates in USA to be religious, since 96% (or something like that right?) of the population is religious. That doesn’t mean religious people are more criminal than atheists. Based only on that information, it would be a sign of equal criminal tendencies among the two different groups.

But I would assume there are many more parameters to be considered if one is to make any conclusions about such a thing.

Anyways.... LOL @ religious people!

By most surveys, only 80-85% are religious, and only 70% by a few.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
(04-12-2011 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2011 06:31 AM)Jakel Wrote:  Well to be honest I would expect 96% of the prison inmates in USA to be religious, since 96% (or something like that right?) of the population is religious. That doesn’t mean religious people are more criminal than atheists. Based only on that information, it would be a sign of equal criminal tendencies among the two different groups.

But I would assume there are many more parameters to be considered if one is to make any conclusions about such a thing.

Okay. Interesting (insert evil grin). But even if only 70% of the American population was religious, it doesn’t matter. Being a Statistician myself, I know how misleading such numbers can be, and if you where interested in doing a proper scientific statistical analysis you would have to include and investigate ALOT of other parameters as well, before you could claim that religious people are more criminal than atheists.
Does anybody know if there has been done any statistical work done in this area? It would be friggin awesome if you could statistically prove that they have a worse moral than atheistsBig Grin
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
(04-12-2011 07:58 AM)Jakel Wrote:  Does anybody know if there has been done any statistical work done in this area? It would be friggin awesome if you could statistically prove that they have a worse moral than atheistsBig Grin

Here's a rather thorough treatment of mastery, self-esteem, and reigiosity on recidivism. Not exactly what you're looking for but interesting nonetheless. My read is that religiosity is negatively correlated with reincarceration but only if they found religion while incarcerated and even then the effect is only marginally significant.

But I'd say that Jill Lynn Farrell earned her PhD with this dissertation. Wink

AN EXPLORATION OF THE EFFECTS OF MASTERY, SELF-ESTEEM, AND RELIGIOSITY ON RECIDIVISM AMONG EX-PRISONERS

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I've been reading a lot on this recent distrust of atheist study. I find it quite disturbing that people would distrust us because we don't believe in their horrible god.

I live in the deep south and am surrounded by baptists and Pentecostalism. These folks lie and cheat each other on a constant basis. My own family spread false rumors on the fly. I have to correct these rumors constantly. It's horrible how christians can imagine themselves more trustworthy.

Maybe their version of trustworthy is to be dishonest and treat people horrible. That must be what it is. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
(04-12-2011 04:44 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I've been reading a lot on this recent distrust of atheist study. I find it quite disturbing that people would distrust us because we don't believe in their horrible god.

I don't find it disturbing, I find it expected. After all I'm not attacking the scaffolding of their world view, I'm attacking its very foundations. They were the ones that taught me not to build my house upon the sand, only to turn around and build their church on the flimsy and shifting foundation of a promise of a postmortem of identity. Hypocrites get what they deserve.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-12-2011, 12:46 AM
(04-12-2011 07:58 AM)Jakel Wrote:  
(04-12-2011 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Okay. Interesting (insert evil grin). But even if only 70% of the American population was religious, it doesn’t matter. Being a Statistician myself, I know how misleading such numbers can be, and if you where interested in doing a proper scientific statistical analysis you would have to include and investigate ALOT of other parameters as well, before you could claim that religious people are more criminal than atheists.
Does anybody know if there has been done any statistical work done in this area? It would be friggin awesome if you could statistically prove that they have a worse moral than atheistsBig Grin
Being a felon from ADC-Yuma I gotta give you the look... Angry

Now that we got that outta the way, fuck statistics. Me and my Gwynnies just may use science to validate zero-state across the board; we may even develop the science to make religion GTFO, wanna hear some mad scientist talk. Wink

If you wanna use some math in your life to get some positive atheistic results, scope out that link to Bayes' Theorem I posted on the elegance of science thread.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-12-2011, 02:15 AM
(05-12-2011 12:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Being a felon from ADC-Yuma I gotta give you the look... Angry

I fail to see why you would be upset with my post... you're not religious?
05-12-2011, 05:18 AM
(04-12-2011 04:44 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Maybe their version of trustworthy is to be dishonest and treat people horrible. That must be what it is. Smile

Do to others before they do it to you?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche