It's official: Referendum in Greece on bailout terms

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-06-2015, 12:46 AM
It's official: Referendum in Greece on bailout terms
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ju...-creditors

Now this should be interesting.

We are finally asked to decide about the future of the country without the limitations of political parties.
The question is whether we'll accept new austerity measures or not. I believe you can all guess what I'll be voting for.

I have a proposition of my own though. Why don't those creditors carry out some fair trials to see who spent all that money and how, because it sure wasn't my family or the thousands of families that are asked to sell their kidneys in order to survive.

Why do they so blatantly ignore the fact that millions of euros they offered (without questions) never even reached the people?

Meanwhile, people have been rushing to ATMs all night, draining the banks. How fun.
The opposition is like "you're driving the country into bankruptcy. Well, so fucking what?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
27-06-2015, 12:56 AM
RE: It's official: Referendum in Greece on bailout terms
Is it true they are now giving away Greek nationality, not just citizenship?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-06-2015, 01:01 AM
(27-06-2015 12:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Is it true they are now giving away Greek nationality, not just citizenship?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Isn't it the same thing?

-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-06-2015, 01:45 AM
I don't believe so. I was told by a Greek yesterday who was very angry claiming that now one can literally become a Greek. Even if he's a Turk. His words. I was tired and a little out of it. I may see him again tomorrow when I feel a little better. I will report back. I have not found anything on Google.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
27-06-2015, 01:57 AM
(27-06-2015 01:45 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I don't believe so. I was told by a Greek yesterday who was very angry claiming that now one can literally become a Greek. Even if he's a Turk. His words. I was tired and a little out of it. I may see him again tomorrow when I feel a little better. I will report back. I have not found anything on Google.

Ok I asked my mum and she says there used to be a difference between having a Greek citizenship and a Green nationality some years ago but now there's not. In essence, if you get a Greek citizenship you are automatically considered a Greek. Which is fine by me, but I assume your friend is one of those who left for the US decades ago and are rather conservative.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-06-2015, 03:12 AM
(27-06-2015 01:57 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Ok I asked my mum and she says there used to be a difference between having a Greek citizenship and a Green nationality some years ago but now there's not. In essence, if you get a Greek citizenship you are automatically considered a Greek. Which is fine by me, but I assume your friend is one of those who left for the US decades ago and are rather conservative.

Correct, but Australia, not the US.

Thanks for the info'. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-06-2015, 03:22 AM
There will soon be a debate in the Parliament (and subsequently voting, I believe) about whether there should be a referendum or not. It seems the leftist parties aren't as friendly to the idea as I thought they would be. We shall see.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
27-06-2015, 04:42 AM
I'm following this Greek tragedy with great interest and I must say calling a referendum caught everyone by surprise. The European finance ministers are meeting today, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Here in Ireland we've been hit hard with extra taxes and so on. Austerity has been very harsh and people have had enough. Though things are starting to get better now. Our government ( a right bunch of gobshite bastards) are not very supportive of the Greek position. They fear that if Greece gets a deal, it will piss the Irish people off because we didn't get a deal. We just took our medicine like a good little patient, and got a pat on the back from Merkel and the troika. The loony left ( an even bigger bunch of gobshites) have called for Ireland to follow Greece and default until we get a deal.The problem is that we need Europe more than they need us. Good luck with the referendum.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
27-06-2015, 02:35 PM
(27-06-2015 04:42 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I'm following this Greek tragedy with great interest and I must say calling a referendum caught everyone by surprise. The European finance ministers are meeting today, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Here in Ireland we've been hit hard with extra taxes and so on. Austerity has been very harsh and people have had enough. Though things are starting to get better now. Our government ( a right bunch of gobshite bastards) are not very supportive of the Greek position. They fear that if Greece gets a deal, it will piss the Irish people off because we didn't get a deal. We just took our medicine like a good little patient, and got a pat on the back from Merkel and the troika. The loony left ( an even bigger bunch of gobshites) have called for Ireland to follow Greece and default until we get a deal.The problem is that we need Europe more than they need us. Good luck with the referendum.

It is interesting how badly Austerity has failed and how committed the rightwing still is to it. Every country that went the Keynesian approach had a much quicker and smoother recovery than the countries that went with the Austerity approach.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-06-2015, 04:22 PM
(27-06-2015 02:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 04:42 AM)Marozz Wrote:  

It is interesting how badly Austerity has failed and how committed the rightwing still is to it. Every country that went the Keynesian approach had a much quicker and smoother recovery than the countries that went with the Austerity approach.

This is not a normal recession. In Ireland we went crazy. People lived way beyond their means. Now we have thousands of people living in negative equity. People are not saving their hard earned cash, it's being used to pay off massive mortgages for a house than has dropped almost 100 % in value.... and we're all paying new levies, taxes. water rates etc.... we have nothing left to spend or save. The bubble has burst, the party is over.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí