It's official, Stephen Hawking has publicly declared himself an Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2014, 06:54 AM
It's official, Stephen Hawking has publicly declared himself an Atheist.
During an interview with El Mundo, a spanish newspaper leading up to the Starmus Festival. Hawking said the following.

Quote:"Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation. What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn't. I'm an atheist."

Source

We can now add 1 more brilliant scientist to the team Smile

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
26-09-2014, 07:23 AM
RE: It's official, Stephen Hawking has publicly declared himself an Atheist.
I didn't need any extra boost beyond him saying, there is no need for a god to have created the universe we know, and all that other jazz already Smartass

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-09-2014, 07:59 AM
While his statement is true, in a way, it's a non-sequitur.
It is natural to look for explanations.
What science does or does not offer is irrelevant. Science is not a "replacement" for religion.
Religion and gods are incoherent, "per se". Religions fail all on their own.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Wait.

wait....

Atheism is a team?

Can I please NOT be the coach?

[Image: herdingcats.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
26-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I was kinda surprised when I saw this article. I'd always assumed he was, didn't think it was questioned. Glad it's on record though! Thumbsup

Oh, and retzlik's post reminded me of this. This never gets old!!!!! Laugh out load

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 4 users Like Smercury44's post
26-09-2014, 03:41 PM
(26-09-2014 07:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  While his statement is true, in a way, it's a non-sequitur.
It is natural to look for explanations.
What science does or does not offer is irrelevant. Science is not a "replacement" for religion.
Religion and gods are incoherent, "per se". Religions fail all on their own.

That is true. Though with the way a lot of religious act when it comes to science like with creationism, I can see how that could be possible. Converting someone to Atheism, replacing their religion and religious science with real science.

(26-09-2014 08:49 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Wait.

wait....

Atheism is a team?

Can I please NOT be the coach?

[Image: herdingcats.jpg]

Your the waterboy.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze