"It's right for God to slaughter...anytime he pleases"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah...that's a guy you wanna work for.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
RE: "It's right for God to slaughter...anytime he pleases"
I used to like that guy. Blush

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I do not understand why people find that sort of argument convincing. Any god that does not hold itself to the same standard as it holds other sentient beings is immoral, by its own standard.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I went into this thinking he'd be a crank, then for the first minute and a half I was like, "This is actually a great argument." Then he started in on sinner stuff and lost me for a while. Then he got me back. It's a pretty lucid argument. I think the point that God takes every single life is a good point. He's right that God using humans as an instrument is a complex moral argument. I think the chief problem lies with those that claim God willed them (for a specific purpose) who are really just talking out of their ass. I mean, in the end, by this logic, God did will them just as he wills rapists to rape and all the rest, but I think, by this logic, he could will someone to murder someone and that person could say, "He told me to do it because it's an awesome thing to do," and God would be like, "Ugh, dude, you don't know me like that. I made you a crazy person. Real talk." It just leaves a lot of room for justifying murder (which by this logic might be moot anyway).

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
11-11-2012, 11:03 PM
(11-11-2012 10:57 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I went into this thinking he'd be a crank, then for the first minute and a half I was like, "This is actually a great argument." Then he started in on sinner stuff and lost me for a while. Then he got me back. It's a pretty lucid argument. I think the point that God takes every single life is a good point. He's right that God using humans as an instrument is a complex moral argument. I think the chief problem lies with those that claim God willed them (for a specific purpose) who are really just talking out of their ass. I mean, in the end, by this logic, God did will them just as he wills rapists to rape and all the rest, but I think, by this logic, he could will someone to murder someone and that person could say, "He told me to do it because it's an awesome thing to do," and God would be like, "Ugh, dude, you don't know me like that. I made you a crazy person. Real talk." It just leaves a lot of room for justifying murder (which by this logic might be moot anyway).

Matt

Then again, since there is no god, certainly of a biblical nature, the whole issue is moot.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Hey, Erxomai.

I'm a systems thinker. I don't care about veracity so much as I care about internal consistency. It was a lucid and internally consistent argument. I can appreciate that. Doesn't mean I subscribe to it Cool

Matt
11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
(11-11-2012 11:07 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Erxomai.

I'm a systems thinker. I don't care about veracity so much as I care about internal consistency. It was a lucid and internally consistent argument. I can appreciate that. Doesn't mean I subscribe to it Cool

Matt
Yeah, I know. I just think the less we talk about fantasies and talk about understanding the present and plan for the future, the better off we'll be. Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
"we're all sinners, we all deserve to die yesterday and go to hell, the fact we're even breathing today is sheer grace from god."

It hurts my brain trying to imagine why people believe in this shit.
Please, someone explain to me how an unborn baby has sinned??
Because some whore a couple thousand years ago took a bite of a forbidden apple??
Fuck off.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Your father sinned, and thus his son inherited those sins.

It makes sense in an us v/s them sort of way. If you need justification for slaughtering babies and kids, its about the only thing you could come up with really.
12-11-2012, 12:38 AM
All I can do is agree with Seth's interpretation of god. Sounds like eternity with Little Anthony Fremont from the Twilight Zone. You must think only good thoughts about him and no matter what evil thing he does you must tell him that it is a good thing, or risk being wished into the corn field (hell) or something far worse. Thanks, but no thanks.
[+] 2 users Like Birdguy1979's post