It's that time of year again. Praise G.A.B.E.N

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 09:25 AM
RE: It's that time of year again. Praise G.A.B.E.N
Got the new Rome and the old one, since I think my old disk is messing up, corrupting settlements and saves.

Also the gigantic Megadrive and Genesis collection and both Sonic Adventures. I'll probably buy Empire at War aswell, I got a feeling the old disk is gonna fail soon.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2016, 09:52 AM
(25-12-2016 09:25 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Got the new Rome and the old one, since I think my old disk is messing up, corrupting settlements and saves.

Also the gigantic Megadrive and Genesis collection and both Sonic Adventures. I'll probably buy Empire at War aswell, I got a feeling the old disk is gonna fail soon.

I've always wanted to get into Rome, but I'm terrible at strategy games and there's always a learning curve.

25-12-2016, 10:14 AM
(25-12-2016 09:52 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 09:25 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Got the new Rome and the old one, since I think my old disk is messing up, corrupting settlements and saves.

I've always wanted to get into Rome, but I'm terrible at strategy games and there's always a learning curve.

The first Rome Total War is easy as fuck. Play on Easy mode as the Gauls. Then spam swordmen and shirnes to Teautatis. Then you just maul everything in one big charge. Cavalry in general is also overpowered due to the charge bonus, so you can techically kill everything with a horde of horsemen and then retrain them in the newest city you conqured.

After you've played some factions on easy mode, move on to normal. Hard mode and Very Hard is useless. It only factors into how insane the AI behaves. Easy and Normal mode is equal to stupid AI. Hard and Very Hard is equal to suicidial moron AI who will attack you every turn regardless of their chance of winning (this is what Medievial II: Total War suffers from). They'll also get the ability to hire mercinaries too, but that only affects the battlemap. Difficulty on the battlemap is pretty much a waste of time. It only effects the reaction time of the AI to your movements and some basic tactics, which is useless towards you if you already have a soild plan to beat your enemy. Diplomacy in the first Total War games is also a waste of time. Never trust any faction. They'll attack you for no reason even if you don't share borders with them and regardless if you outrank them 100 to 1 in every possible world ranking. Only use diplomats for trade agreements, short ceasefires and selling map information. Might be a bummer, but it's called Total War after all.

The most overpowered factions are any Roman faction, The Greek City States, Selucids(late game), Parthia and maybe Britannia if you play them really well. Egypt starts off well due to unit spamming, but suck balls compared to other factions late game due to lack of specialized troos other than chariots (which are useless against heavy infantry).

All in all Rome 1 is a fun, fast paced, somewhat brainless, easy to learn and quite silly game, if you know how to exploit the game weaknesses. I highly suggest it.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."