It's time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2014, 10:04 AM
RE: It's time
(13-05-2014 09:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  It doesn't matter if you are 8 or 80, you bawl your fucking eyes out when you say goodbye to a loved one….human or pet.

In my final moments, I hope to have the comfort of my loved ones.

sending Hug I have said goodbye to many loved ones, it doesn't get easier. It hurts every time, but having them in my life has made the pain of the end all worth it.

Heart

ps. its a peaceful process when done by a vet. First a paralytic is given- sometimes that is enough, then a powerful drug overdose- morphine? to stop the heart and lungs. And you just hold them and whisper something comforting to them. Many vets will do a paw impression into clay of their foot.

Typically, it's a barbiturate overdose.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-05-2014, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 10:12 AM by kim.)
(13-05-2014 08:25 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  What should I do?

Go. Hold on to her securely during the injection - comfort her. It's another being's moment of need, not yours. Give her this one last bit of comfort.

Ask the vet if you can do it outside, in the open air, instead of in the smelly vet lab. Perhaps under a nearby tree or near a bush - even if it's just a patch of grass in the parking lot. It will help you both.

I did it with my boy, Rafer - I don't regret it.
It helped me know what is important.

About the crying... vets do it too... they understand. I'm actually having trouble writing this now. Loss doesn't stop hurting just because someone or something you love is gone. You are doing the best you can do for her - she'll be comforted if you are with her.

ps = thanks - now I'm crying my guts out.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like kim's post
13-05-2014, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 07:03 PM by Dom.)
The first is the hardest.... but the thing is that you are able to help the pet avoid suffering, and you can be proud to make that hard decision.

For her, life is a struggle and if she could, she would choose death. Ailing animals in the wild often either offer themselves up to a predator or crawl in a hole and starve themselves to death.

Our pets have no such choices. They depend on us to help them to stop suffering. Do go with her, be there for her, it will make things easier for you. You will want to cry - do it, it is very helpful to do. But if you really love her, you will feel some of the relief that is coming over her in her last moments with you. She can finally let go of the struggle and just relax.... there is that little moment of bliss for her when she finally lets go.

When I was younger I used to feel I betrayed them by taking them in - in actuality it is exactly the opposite. You are liberating her.

Keep that in mind, and please let the tears out as they will flow, it's a release for you.

Grief is a self centered thing - the one who died is feeling no regrets and no pain. So don't think you are feeling sorry for her having to die - the sad part is that she had to suffer. You are feeling sorry for yourself mostly, your life has a hole in it.

And that's ok, it's part of life that everything recycles and the old gets replaced with the young. The older you get, the more this becomes a part of your life - always unwelcome but in the end it will help you be at peace when your own time comes. Seeing how death can be the great liberator and a huge positive will make your own life and old age much more manageable.

You are giving her a great gift, your final gift, one of self sacrifice because you will be left to suffer her loss while she has found relief and peace.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
13-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Sorry to hear of this unfortunate event, T Sauce. I've had to euthanize loved pets too. It will be good to be by your kitty's side for her and for you. Sometimes being brave doesn't mean we feel strong, it is more we do something strong when we feel anything but that way.

Thinking of you today and tomorrow. Make her comfortable. When her pain is gone that will be a good thing. Hug
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
13-05-2014, 10:21 AM
I am sorry TS.

Go and hold her, the actual final moments are quite calm but you will want to be there so the last thing she feels is your love for her.

A good vet will help make things as easy as they can be for your Misty.

Sending many hugs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-05-2014, 10:23 AM
I am so sorry Hug

13-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Im sorry man. You know I lost a cat too. His name was tiger. He died when a dog mauled him when we let him outside. Miss the bugger. Its hard. It is understandable for use to lose any friend, non human or not. Just know I have my support brother.

[Image: tumblr_m7d0jvtW8U1rvnmboo1_500.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
13-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I share the sadness you feel ... or at least I am trying to share it so that you might go through the stages of sadness a little easier.

Want something? Then do something.
13-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm so sorry. Everyone has written such beautiful things in here. I'm a damn mess now.

Go with your cat. Hold her in her final moments, and let yourself experience the grief.

Sending you big hugs Hug these little critters are so precious to us. So hard to say goodbye to a dear friend, and member of the family.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
13-05-2014, 06:31 PM
This is my last night with her.....she's going at 3:15 tomorrow.

I just can't imagine her not being here.....she's been a part of this house since I was in preschool.

This day has felt like its been in stasis...time has been moving forward, but tomorrow's importance has registered with me like its farther off than it actually is. I don't think I can actually release all the emotions until just before we have to bring her in. It's just been brief outlets, small releases. I want to bawl my eyes out but I just can't. I want to focus on other things, but I can't.

I just want this to be over. This day has been just awful.

[Image: giphy.gif]