It's time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: It's time
Tarty Sadcryface

I so hate to hear this. I remember that Skype call we had when you showed me Misty. Sad I don't know what to say, except that you are very special to me and I am so sorry that you're going through this right now. Hug Hug Hug

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
13-05-2014, 06:59 PM
This fuckin thread Sadcryface

I'm sorry, Tarty Hug

Both my dog, Christy, and my cat, Squeak, are getting up in age! The same decision isn't too far off for me either, though it won't be my first time losing a pet!

The most unconditional love that can be found anywhere resides in our pets, and is reserved for us!!!! If you can't feel grief over the loss of something as incredibly special as that... you aren't human!

I feel for ya, bro Hug

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
13-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Sorry TS.

I have had to put down pets before. It never gets easier and I've cried like a little kid each time.

I've stayed with them all and though it's hard I haven't regretted staying. A good vet makes the process as quick and easy as they can. If you think you can handle it you should go.

Hug

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
13-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I feel your pain Tartarus! Sad

She has been there with you all these years, and now this is the final loving act you can carry out for your little girl.

Anytime I've been in this situation, I spent the last hours with them, crying and saying my goodbyes. It's the grieving process and there is just no easy way to get through this.

As gut-wrenching as it is to be there when they take their last breath, it's easier (to me) than losing a fur baby suddenly to an accident. A couple of my fur kids were accidentally killed by cars. I had no time to prepare myself or say goodbye.

Treasure these last few hours, give lots of kisses, and allow yourself to feel the emotions. Hug

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like CindysRain's post
14-05-2014, 05:37 AM
thinking of you today and sending lots of hugs.

I don't think I'm the only one who had shed more than a few tears over your beloved cat because we understand the connection and how much it hurts to say goodbye.

Hug

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
14-05-2014, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2014 06:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-05-2014 08:25 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  It's common knowledge that nothing lasts forever. As social creatures, we forge strong bonds and connections throughout the course of our lives. Hence, we also suffer from the common cause of sorrow for social animals: loss. Our greatest source of comfort is also our greatest source of grief.

Now, at twenty years of age, one would assume I would already have been confronted loss. It is a tragic reality that sometimes people die far younger than they should. It's not uncommon for somebody that is a close to friend to die by this time. Such is not the case for me. Sure, I've known some of my peers whom have since passed on, but nobody that I was particularly close to. A close friend of mine has yet to kick the bucket.

Usually, our first confrontations with loss are either our grandparents or our childhood pets. Once again, this has not been something I have had to come to terms with yet. All 4 of my grandparents are still alive, a rather impressive feat considering they are all in their 80s now. Also, all three of my cats have managed to make it up to this point, another remarkable situation since I've had them all since I was 5. Sure, we had to put the dog down last summer, but we gave him away years ago to our former housekeeper, so I had emotionally detached from him by that point.

So here I am at twenty years of age, with no proper introduction into the common affliction we all suffer from called loss.

Except now it's time.

The cat currently resting by my feet is being put down tomorrow. It pains me knowing this is Misty's last full day of life. She's almost 17 now. She's the first cat we we got, back when she was just a year old, and I was only 4 1/2. The other cats are only around a year and a half younger than her, but are in much better health. She's slowed down the most in these final years, and there wasn't much doubt that she was going to be the first to go. She had to have a skin tumor removed last fall. She's been having trouble eating for months and vomits up most of what little she can chew. Her fur is thinning and her hearing is fading. She usually can't make it up the stairs anymore to get to the litterbox.

She's old and sick, and it's her time to go. I don't know how I'm going to handle it. I feel like most people with a childhood pet have already lost one by now, but all of my pets have managed to reach old age without much of a hitch (even the dog was pretty old by the time he died). This is going to be the first real blow to me in terms of loss.

The worst part is, I can't decide whether I'm going to be able to accompany her in her final moments. I want to be there for her when she goes, to comfort her, but I'm tearing up just fucking thinking about it. This cat has been a piece of my life since I was 4, how am I going to handle it when I feel her stop breathing? Know that all I have left of her are memories? That I'll never hear her meow again or pet her fur? That in that room, where she will peacefully fall into an eternal slumber, that's my last chance to be with her?

I'm crying right now just typing about it. I don't want to leave her to her end without me, but if its this hard just accepting it, how much worse is it going to be when I'm there in the room while the needle goes in? This isn't even my favorite cat and I know I'm going to be bawling my eyes out.

What should I do?

You'll be with her no matter how hard it is. Or for the rest of your life you'll wish you had been. I know you'll choose well. Hug

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Seriously this thread Sadcryface

So sorry TS. I haven't gone through the loss of a pet yet, though my childhood puppy, now living with my dad, is getting up there. I'll probably be crying my eyes out for him, too.

You should go to be with her, she loves you and you love her too.

Hug

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
14-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Only 3 hours left...

[Image: giphy.gif]
14-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I can empathize with you there TS...

I've got my moggy on my lap right now, I keep making mistakes cos he keeps nudging the tablet.

He's 16 now, and I'm dreading the day when he goes.

I've made a conscious choice not to have any more pets after him... He's irreplaceable, and its just too painful to say goodbye.

I don't know how I'm going to manage without him...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
14-05-2014, 10:08 AM
(14-05-2014 10:05 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Only 3 hours left...

Hug

I've been watching the clock too.

Hug

I've been thinking about you and wishing there was something more I could do to help you through this. Animals bring out the softy in me, it's amazing the effect they have on us. I've never met you or your cat, but I feel sadness regarding what you're going through.

Hang in there, buddy. You'll pull through this.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post