It takes a village. Or maybe just 100 people ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 10:55 AM
It takes a village. Or maybe just 100 people ...
This is a human interest story that just caught my eye. None of these people were thinking about themselves rather, about another in trouble. They acted on instinct.

They moved a double decker bus!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32993891

Think what could happen if we could all just think about another in trouble and act on that.
Just once ... maybe each day.

I think it would be good practice. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: It takes a village. Or maybe just 100 people ...
(04-06-2015 10:55 AM)kim Wrote:  Think what could happen if we could all just think about another in trouble and act on that.

It's things like this, and the overwhelming humanitarian responses to disasters worldwide that make all the fictional tales of post-apocalyptic worlds just that: fiction. I think we're much too cynical about the average degree of self-centeredness. We're social animals, evoutionary adapted to cooperative community; the selfish bastard who thinks only of himself is the anomaly, not the norm. He's more noticeable for exactly that reason, he's not that common - but that increased noticeability distorts our perception and we think they're everywhere. See Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature" for some hard science about our instinct to be good.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
04-06-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: It takes a village. Or maybe just 100 people ...
(04-06-2015 11:16 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  See Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature" for some hard science about our instinct to be good.

Ooh, I will check that out! Thumbsup

That person's name actually sounds familiar. Consider I think I heard him on a podcast talking about altruism.

Thanks for the title. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein