It takes more faith to be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2010, 02:42 AM
It takes more faith to be an Atheist
What is with this argument and being the first thing that any half-decent theist with throw at you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 09:09 AM
RE: It takes more faith to be an Atheist
It's an underhanded attempt by theists that atheists have also faith, and therefore it validates their own position of having faith. What they want to ignore or are trying to obfuscate is that atheist's beliefs are based on evidence, while theirs have no evidence supporting them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like zaybu's post
21-12-2010, 09:32 AM
It's also an attempt by theists to attach certain beliefs to atheism that generally speaking, do not belong to most atheists.

For example, "atheists believe they have all the answers." False.
"Atheists claim absolute knowledge and claim that they know there is no God." False.
"Atheists claim Science as their God, and believe it can answer everything." Generally speaking, false.

I find that it's generally used by theists who have little to no understanding of atheism. As zaybu said, it's used to put the themselves and the atheist on even "faith" ground. What I don't understand is how they think this wins them any points in an argument. Let's say for the sake of argument that you could demonstrate that it does take faith to be an atheist. How does that demonstrate, in any way, that their faith is any more true than "ours?"

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
21-12-2010, 06:43 PM

(21-12-2010 09:32 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  "Atheists claim Science as their God, and believe it can answer everything." Generally speaking, false.

Which part of that is false? The science being God part or science explaining everything? If the latter, do you think that science cannot explain certain things?
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 09:59 PM
(21-12-2010 06:43 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 09:32 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  "Atheists claim Science as their God, and believe it can answer everything." Generally speaking, false.

Which part of that is false? The science being God part or science explaining everything? If the latter, do you think that science cannot explain certain things?

Hmmm... well good question. First off, I don't think atheists think science is their "god" - that is yet another thing that theists will often try to attribute to atheists. They cannot seem to fathom people not worshiping something.

As to the second part, I think I meant something more along the lines of the fact that we recognize that there are limits to our scientific knowledge. Science is the greatest tool that we've ever created for determining the nature of reality. But there is of course a chance that there will be things that science cannot answer, and there are certainly things that we don't have definitive answers for right now. The difference is that atheists will admit when we don't have answers instead of making something up. We are willing to accept "I don't know" or "I don't know yet" as answers.

Better?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
21-12-2010, 11:21 PM
I think that there is another aspect to the idea that atheists have faith. The idea that we have faith makes our arguements not worth exploring by them and especially by the people in the churches so that they don't lose church members because of curiousity among the flock.

It is funny how many religious people seem to fear those of other religions, who make kill them, but they fear atheists even more even though there is no cases of organized bunches of atheists going around killing theists in the name of atheism.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
22-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Atheism is a position on faith not a position of faith.
-heard it on the Atheist Experience once , and it sums up my feelings nicely.
22-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I hate it when theist use that statement. This one christian I know handed me a book titled, "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist." I said that all my beleifs are based on facts and evidence. Not speculation, wild imagenings, or what my family and friends believe. If one is to read the Bible or just simply look out at the world they would understad that it takes too much faith to be religious.
23-12-2010, 07:08 PM

(21-12-2010 09:59 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 06:43 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  

As to the second part, I think I meant something more along the lines of the fact that we recognize that there are limits to our scientific knowledge. Science is the greatest tool that we've ever created for determining the nature of reality. But there is of course a chance that there will be things that science cannot answer, and there are certainly things that we don't have definitive answers for right now. The difference is that atheists will admit when we don't have answers instead of making something up. We are willing to accept "I don't know" or "I don't know yet" as answers.

Better?

I think there is where the faith lies, and I think it is faith in science, which does not necessarily faith on the part of atheism. I have "faith" if you will, a confidence, that that which we do not yet know we will eventually discover through science, and there is nothing out there that cannot be explained by science, given enough time, money, resources, etc...

But then again, it isn't blind faith. It is a confidence I have gained simply by using the inductive method while examining the inductive method. So far, the abilities of science to explain everything have held tight. I see no reason for that trend to reverse in the future.

Just something to think about. I know we atheist hate this accusation because it is often made by theists, but I think there is a fundamental "faith" that we rest on, at least in regards to science. Feel free to rip me to shreds.
Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2010, 09:05 PM
(23-12-2010 07:08 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  But then again, it isn't blind faith. It is a confidence I have gained simply by using the inductive method while examining the inductive method.

This line in itself is all the proof you need. Confidence in a proven method as opposed to blind faith in a something that has absolutely no evidence for and lots of evidence against.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.