It takes more faith to be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2010, 11:00 PM
RE: It takes more faith to be an Atheist
(23-12-2010 07:08 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 09:59 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 06:43 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 09:32 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  "Atheists claim Science as their God, and believe it can answer everything." Generally speaking, false.

Which part of that is false? The science being God part or science explaining everything? If the latter, do you think that science cannot explain certain things?

As to the second part, I think I meant something more along the lines of the fact that we recognize that there are limits to our scientific knowledge. Science is the greatest tool that we've ever created for determining the nature of reality. But there is of course a chance that there will be things that science cannot answer, and there are certainly things that we don't have definitive answers for right now. The difference is that atheists will admit when we don't have answers instead of making something up. We are willing to accept "I don't know" or "I don't know yet" as answers.

Better?

I think there is where the faith lies, and I think it is faith in science, which does not necessarily faith on the part of atheism. I have "faith" if you will, a confidence, that that which we do not yet know we will eventually discover through science, and there is nothing out there that cannot be explained by science, given enough time, money, resources, etc...

But then again, it isn't blind faith. It is a confidence I have gained simply by using the inductive method while examining the inductive method. So far, the abilities of science to explain everything have held tight. I see no reason for that trend to reverse in the future.

Just something to think about. I know we atheist hate this accusation because it is often made by theists, but I think there is a fundamental "faith" that we rest on, at least in regards to science. Feel free to rip me to shreds.

Well in the instance of the arts, you can not use science, and a Christian will be very quick to point that out to you, but he will try to make it expand to subjects it does not belong to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2010, 11:28 PM
(24-12-2010 11:00 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  Well in the instance of the arts, you can not use science, and a Christian will be very quick to point that out to you, but he will try to make it expand to subjects it does not belong to.

Yes you can use science to study the arts. Psycho-acoustics is the science that studies the effect of sound and music on the human mind. There are similar studies for how the other arts affect the mind as well. These are relatively new fields and not a lot of people are aware of them. One book on the subject is "This is Your Brain On Music."

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Naturalism is the best way so far we have of looking at the world.
It's not an absolute or a dogma.It's merely a philosophy of observing the world while excluding the supernatural.
25-12-2010, 12:48 AM
You can not use science to determine whether a picture of a cactus is a picture of a cactus, since scientifically it does not resemble a cactus in any way or than color. No matter how much science you do you can not determine the purpose of the painter either, without actually speaking to the artist.
25-12-2010, 03:18 AM
You can use science to determine in what ways a painting resembles a cactus. Color, 2 dimensional shape, etc. As for the purpose of the artist? Speaking to him would be an excellent way of gathering data, that is correct.

Science isn't all test tubes. Gathering information like what peoples intentions are can be very scientific.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-12-2010, 07:47 AM
There is a MASSIVE amount of science regarding image.
See branding and all it implies.
Also , human beauty is related to symmetry of facial features and social conventions but may involve biology and pheromones.
25-12-2010, 09:37 AM

(25-12-2010 12:48 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  You can not use science to determine whether a picture of a cactus is a picture of a cactus, since scientifically it does not resemble a cactus in any way or than color. No matter how much science you do you can not determine the purpose of the painter either, without actually speaking to the artist.

I should have clarified. I was thinking more in the field of determining how things work and whether things are real. I don't see what relevance describing and indentifying art has to theology. I can prove that the art is real, it is composed of matter, and it abides the laws of physics. Subjective intepretations of the art can also be measured by taking brain images of the subject when observing. But how would any of this be useful to either an atheist or theist in an argument?
Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2010, 03:58 PM
(25-12-2010 09:37 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Subjective intepretations of the art can also be measured by taking brain images of the subject when observing. But how would any of this be useful to either an atheist or theist in an argument?

For the atheist, these brain images show that "interpretation of art is a fuction of the mind." For the theist, it is another piece fo evidence to deny or twist into a false interpretation, because it doesn't support their god.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-12-2010, 06:40 PM
(25-12-2010 12:48 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  You can not use science to determine whether a picture of a cactus is a picture of a cactus, since scientifically it does not resemble a cactus in any way or than color.

And shape, and details, and so on.

...So yes, you can.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
29-12-2010, 01:52 PM

(21-12-2010 06:43 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 09:32 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  "Atheists claim Science as their God, and believe it can answer everything." Generally speaking, false.

Which part of that is false? The science being God part or science explaining everything? If the latter, do you think that science cannot explain certain things?

I don't worship Einstein as a prophet, touched by the higher power of science. I see him as an intelligent human being who grasped new concepts and was influential in the way we view the universe. I don't worship science as a concept. I worship nature and the human animal's place in it. Science helps me understand that, but I don't see it as a religion.

I respect science. I know that it is important work because it helps us grasp the universe. But I realize that information is frail and the human beings flawed that discover a new piece of information.
Quote this message in a reply