It takes more faith to be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2010, 02:45 PM
RE: It takes more faith to be an Atheist
Cool, I agree with Theketotola, going to give him reputation lol. Because I'm in Canada, even though religion really isn't big here, people don't really talk about it, we just all live with it with no violence.

Check out our peace.
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi-data/#/2010/scor

Well, We all know religions don't have answers to everything, because of no evidence. Its all belief without evidence.

Science has lots of answers, still getting hard earn evidence for their conclusion. The knowledge of science!
http://www.educationoasis.com/curriculum...hessci.htm

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I got that "It takes more faith to be an Atheist" argument once.
It was quickly abandoned when I said something like "Possible... Could you define "faith" for me so we both know what we are talking about" Tuns out he came on with the "blind faith" concept. He could totally not understand the "uncertainty" I could live with.
Note:
We started the discussion on agreeing we would never convert each-other. (takes a lot of stress out off the discussion)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
17-07-2014, 11:05 AM
(23-12-2010 07:08 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(21-12-2010 09:59 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  As to the second part, I think I meant something more along the lines of the fact that we recognize that there are limits to our scientific knowledge. Science is the greatest tool that we've ever created for determining the nature of reality. But there is of course a chance that there will be things that science cannot answer, and there are certainly things that we don't have definitive answers for right now. The difference is that atheists will admit when we don't have answers instead of making something up. We are willing to accept "I don't know" or "I don't know yet" as answers.

Better?

I think there is where the faith lies, and I think it is faith in science, which does not necessarily faith on the part of atheism. I have "faith" if you will, a confidence, that that which we do not yet know we will eventually discover through science, and there is nothing out there that cannot be explained by science, given enough time, money, resources, etc...

But then again, it isn't blind faith. It is a confidence I have gained simply by using the inductive method while examining the inductive method. So far, the abilities of science to explain everything have held tight. I see no reason for that trend to reverse in the future.

Just something to think about. I know we atheist hate this accusation because it is often made by theists, but I think there is a fundamental "faith" that we rest on, at least in regards to science. Feel free to rip me to shreds.

Lol, no ripping to shreds just dont agree with your definition of faith. I always look to hebrews 11 when discussing theistic faith. Is this the same faith that an atheist can have? No of course not. Do we have "faith" persay? Well, if you define faith as a reasonable expectation due to trial and error, then yes I would agree. I have faith (reasonable expectation) that when i put the car key into the ignition, the car will start. it's not the same as theistic faith.
17-07-2014, 04:59 PM
(21-12-2010 02:42 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  What is with this argument and being the first thing that any half-decent theist with throw at you?

Great! Faith is supposed to be good right. Then if we have more then we're BETTER!!!!

But seriously, Any more when someone says this to me I just chalk them up as being too stupid to be worth my time to explain to them why they are wrong.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
17-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Dates people Beat_stick this shit was 4 years ago!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-07-2014, 05:22 PM
(21-12-2010 09:09 AM)zaybu Wrote:  It's an underhanded attempt by theists that atheists have also faith, and therefore it validates their own position of having faith. What they want to ignore or are trying to obfuscate is that atheist's beliefs are based on evidence, while theirs have no evidence supporting them.

I was going to say something along those lines, but it seems you have beaten me to it. Bravo!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
17-07-2014, 05:51 PM
(17-07-2014 05:03 PM)kim Wrote:  Dates people Beat_stick this shit was 4 years ago!

There have been a lot of resurrected ancient threads lately. I think perhaps some people may have not noticed the date of thread on the top left of the original post. Smile

Start a new thread if the topic is of interest to you. leave the dead horses in their graves Thumbsup Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
17-07-2014, 05:59 PM
(17-07-2014 05:03 PM)kim Wrote:  Dates people Beat_stick this shit was 4 years ago!

This thread isn't very long, but it sure has a lot of reads!

Believers can't imagine life without having some sort of belief. I have no idea why.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Fucking 4 year necro?

Somebody deserves an award.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
17-07-2014, 06:20 PM
(17-07-2014 11:05 AM)StewpidMonkey Wrote:  
(23-12-2010 07:08 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I think there is where the faith lies, and I think it is faith in science, which does not necessarily faith on the part of atheism. I have "faith" if you will, a confidence, that that which we do not yet know we will eventually discover through science, and there is nothing out there that cannot be explained by science, given enough time, money, resources, etc...

But then again, it isn't blind faith. It is a confidence I have gained simply by using the inductive method while examining the inductive method. So far, the abilities of science to explain everything have held tight. I see no reason for that trend to reverse in the future.

Just something to think about. I know we atheist hate this accusation because it is often made by theists, but I think there is a fundamental "faith" that we rest on, at least in regards to science. Feel free to rip me to shreds.

Lol, no ripping to shreds just dont agree with your definition of faith. I always look to hebrews 11 when discussing theistic faith. Is this the same faith that an atheist can have? No of course not. Do we have "faith" persay? Well, if you define faith as a reasonable expectation due to trial and error, then yes I would agree. I have faith (reasonable expectation) that when i put the car key into the ignition, the car will start. it's not the same as theistic faith.

Believing something on faith and believing something based on reasonable expectation are 2 vastly different propositions.

One is an evidence based belief and the other is not. Don't mix the 2.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post