It takes more faith to be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: It takes more faith to be an Atheist
(17-07-2014 06:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Fucking 4 year necro?

Somebody deserves an award.

It's a new record, to be sure.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2014, 06:30 PM
(17-07-2014 06:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

I did a 10 year necro once on the anime forums I go to. It was just for the lulz.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
17-07-2014, 06:30 PM
(17-07-2014 06:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Goes to show ya - nothing changed. The same argument still exists.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-07-2014, 06:36 PM
(17-07-2014 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 06:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  It's a new record, to be sure.

Goes to show ya - nothing changed. The same argument still exists.

'course it does. It tends to take centuries for them folk to even minutely change an argument.

(17-07-2014 06:30 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 06:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  It's a new record, to be sure.

I did a 10 year necro once on the anime forums I go to. It was just for the lulz.

You are just the worst kind of necromancer. Playing with your forbidden spells.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-07-2014, 06:47 PM
(23-12-2010 07:08 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I think there is where the faith lies, and I think it is faith in science, which does not necessarily faith on the part of atheism. I have "faith" if you will, a confidence, that that which we do not yet know we will eventually discover through science, and there is nothing out there that cannot be explained by science, given enough time, money, resources, etc...
Atheists don't have to be scientifically literate.
It is perfectly acceptable for a person to be an atheist and not accept scientific knowledge. We don't have a mechanism for excluding such cretins from our group.

For those of us that do accept scientific findings it is likely that we do have faith in the scientific method as for many of us the understanding of all the formula, the experiments, data, alternatives are beyond us.
Scientists need to disclose the data, experiment details etc leading to their conclusions, their theories/hypothesis need to be falsifiable and recreatable and there are many scientists that seek to challenge and falsify the conclusions.
Personally, I think there is sufficient reason to have faith in this method and this level of faith is much, much smaller than the level of faith required by theists whom assert their god is unobservable, untestable, unknowable but insist on believing anyway, by picking an authority figure and choosing to believe whatever He says.
17-07-2014, 06:53 PM
In 1992, Pope John Paul II issued an apology and lifted the edict of Inquisition against Galileo.

So finally in 1992 the catholic church accepted that the earth does in fact orbit the sun.
There's your necro right there.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
17-07-2014, 07:51 PM
(22-12-2010 04:29 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Atheism is a position on faith not a position of faith.
-heard it on the Atheist Experience once , and it sums up my feelings nicely.

My experience is that the militant atheist holds that our science, post Big Bang, is all that we can sanely believe in.
I think this can be viewed as a faith position in terms of how we conceptualize our ability to know or understand phenomena.
17-07-2014, 08:01 PM
(17-07-2014 07:51 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(22-12-2010 04:29 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Atheism is a position on faith not a position of faith.
-heard it on the Atheist Experience once , and it sums up my feelings nicely.

My experience is that the militant atheist holds that our science, post Big Bang, is all that we can sanely believe in.
I think this can be viewed as a faith position in terms of how we conceptualize our ability to know or understand phenomena.

Nope. Too narrow.

It's about evidence. It's about what is reasonable. It's about knowledge.

It's not limited to 'science'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-07-2014, 09:45 PM
(17-07-2014 08:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 07:51 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  My experience is that the militant atheist holds that our science, post Big Bang, is all that we can sanely believe in.

Nope. Too narrow.

It's about evidence. It's about what is reasonable. It's about knowledge.

It's not limited to 'science'.

I'm with Chas. Atheists are about gaining knowledge and not remaining in willful ignorance. It's about requiring proof for claims that things like deities exist, instead of blindly going along with something.

Creationists love to make the argument in the title of this thread, because it gives them a false comfort that their religious beliefs are just as credible as science, which is ridiculous, because it's the same as saying "I believe in fairies, and it takes just as much faith not to believe in the existence of fairies as it does to believe that they do exist." Fairies and the omnipotent, invisible sky daddy have exactly the same amount of evidence to support their existence: zero! The only difference is that a large percentage of the population has been swindled into thinking that the invisible man in the sky really does exist. If you swindled billions of people into believing a lie, it doesn't change the fact that they're believing a lie. Truth is not measured by the number of people that believe in it. People just don't want to accept the fact that their religious crap is just as ridiculous as fairies, leprechauns, unicorns, and any other man made mythical creature.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
18-07-2014, 12:29 PM
(21-12-2010 02:42 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  What is with this argument and being the first thing that any half-decent theist with throw at you?

Generally, I see this said when the theist doesn't want to actually read/listen to what the atheist has to say. It almost seems to be a form of poisoning the well combined with the misguided notion that all view points are equally valid.