Its December! Christmas is coming! Lets celebrate the Virgin Birth!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2011, 04:57 PM
RE: Its December! Christmas is coming! Lets celebrate the Virgin Birth!
(08-12-2011 04:11 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  [Image: untitled.png]

It's already happened!

*falls off chair laughing*

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like zaika's post
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
(08-12-2011 11:32 AM)zaika Wrote:  I like to think I'm a skeptic, but it's simply fascinating to hear these ancient astronaut theories and wonder if there is a tiny shred of truth to them.

The lack of anything "unnatural" in the genetic record parallels a lack of truth in AAT. It's blue-sky entertainment. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-12-2011, 06:33 PM
(08-12-2011 04:58 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 11:32 AM)zaika Wrote:  I like to think I'm a skeptic, but it's simply fascinating to hear these ancient astronaut theories and wonder if there is a tiny shred of truth to them.

The lack of anything "unnatural" in the genetic record parallels a lack of truth in AAT. It's blue-sky entertainment. Wink

Oh yes....that. Thanks a lot genetic record for ruining my hope for a tiny shred of alien truth. sheesh.

Wink LOL

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post
08-12-2011, 07:03 PM
My "fantasy theory" stays a little more closer to earth than this one.

It's based upon a lot of time, and fudging some rates of decline for things like steel and iron artifacts, but I like the theories that speculate on there having been advanced societies that have come and gone hundreds of thousands of years ago. For instance, we know there were Neandrathals. What if we're wrong about their intelligence. I'm taking numbers out of a bad memory, but weren't they around for something like several hundred thousands of years? What if they developed into something more than the caveman image we have placed them in? Homo Sapiens appeared roughly 100,000 years ago? (Open to correction). Did it really take 100,000 years to reach our current state? What if it only took 80,000 years to reach an advanced civilization which was destroyed, either through war, asteroids, or aliens (lol). What if there was war between H.Sapiens and Neanderthals? This would give rise to our mythologies about Atlantis, and even the gods of mythology. Mount Olympus could have been an Atlantis type civilization and catastrophe hits and the few survivors are flung into a sort of "dark ages" thing. Their stories begin to make their ancestors seem god-like. President Seus of the Grecian Confederation was a great leader so he gets remembered as Zeus. Admiral Foseidon becomes Poseidon, god of the seas, etc. We have our own Dark Ages in our history to look at to see there can be a huge decline in civilization (see Roman technology vs Medieval technology), until finally we can adapt once again and reach enlightenment once again.

90% sure it's poppycock, but fun to think about and easier for me to fantasize about than the alien thing.

Oh, and Isaac Asimov wrote a brilliant story called "Nemesis." It's about a planet where the people think their advanced culture has been around for only 3,000 years (or some such number). But geologists are beginning to find layer and layer of advanced civilizations, then charred ashes, then another civilization and charred ashes, and so on going back millennia. I don't want to ruin the story for anyone who might want to read it, but it has some real clever twists to it, and can provide a rational scenario to what I described about there having been advanced civilizations on earth before us.

Who knows what those pesky dinosaurs were REALLY up to before the comet strike?

For me, it's fun to think about. (And also a big step for me to take in getting me away from Biblical history).

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Merry Mithras!

[Image: 378099_322976044398522_205344452828349_1...2743_n.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM

I don't like Christmas carols that much, I keep sane by mocking and parodying them, and any Christmas carol can be made dodgy. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CrazyKitteh's post
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
(08-12-2011 07:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  My "fantasy theory" stays a little more closer to earth than this one.

It's based upon a lot of time, and fudging some rates of decline for things like steel and iron artifacts, but I like the theories that speculate on there having been advanced societies that have come and gone hundreds of thousands of years ago. For instance, we know there were Neandrathals. What if we're wrong about their intelligence. I'm taking numbers out of a bad memory, but weren't they around for something like several hundred thousands of years? What if they developed into something more than the caveman image we have placed them in? Homo Sapiens appeared roughly 100,000 years ago? (Open to correction). Did it really take 100,000 years to reach our current state? What if it only took 80,000 years to reach an advanced civilization which was destroyed, either through war, asteroids, or aliens (lol). What if there was war between H.Sapiens and Neanderthals? This would give rise to our mythologies about Atlantis, and even the gods of mythology. Mount Olympus could have been an Atlantis type civilization and catastrophe hits and the few survivors are flung into a sort of "dark ages" thing. Their stories begin to make their ancestors seem god-like. President Seus of the Grecian Confederation was a great leader so he gets remembered as Zeus. Admiral Foseidon becomes Poseidon, god of the seas, etc. We have our own Dark Ages in our history to look at to see there can be a huge decline in civilization (see Roman technology vs Medieval technology), until finally we can adapt once again and reach enlightenment once again.

90% sure it's poppycock, but fun to think about and easier for me to fantasize about than the alien thing.

Oh, and Isaac Asimov wrote a brilliant story called "Nemesis." It's about a planet where the people think their advanced culture has been around for only 3,000 years (or some such number). But geologists are beginning to find layer and layer of advanced civilizations, then charred ashes, then another civilization and charred ashes, and so on going back millennia. I don't want to ruin the story for anyone who might want to read it, but it has some real clever twists to it, and can provide a rational scenario to what I described about there having been advanced civilizations on earth before us.

Who knows what those pesky dinosaurs were REALLY up to before the comet strike?

For me, it's fun to think about. (And also a big step for me to take in getting me away from Biblical history).

That really is fun to think about, and now my mind is going a million miles an hour...very cool! And I like the term you used, "fantasy theory." Because I have a ton of 'em. Smile

- Carl Sagan
10-12-2011, 01:17 AM
(09-12-2011 06:24 PM)zaika Wrote:  That really is fun to think about, and now my mind is going a million miles an hour...very cool! And I like the term you used, "fantasy theory." Because I have a ton of 'em. Smile

Such as... Smile

~Izel
12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
(10-12-2011 01:17 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 06:24 PM)zaika Wrote:  That really is fun to think about, and now my mind is going a million miles an hour...very cool! And I like the term you used, "fantasy theory." Because I have a ton of 'em. Smile

Such as... Smile

Uh...well, the one I'm focused on working out in my head now involves the (not new) notion that our universe is multidimensional. My fantasy theory (key word FANTASY lol) suggests that our great great great great great great ad nauseum grandchildren have unlocked the secrets of interdimensional travel and were the ones who gave us the technological "nudges" to advance our civilization. It is not a stretch to suggest that if our ancient ancestors saw someone from the future, that they would not be interpreted as angels or gods. My fantasy theory also suggests that at certain points and at certain times, the "veil" between dimensions (time and space) thins and I love positing that this explains paranormal activity, cryptozoology, and aliens. Everything exists at the same time and the same place, but in different dimensions and sometimes those dimensions collide. It's very simplistic and not at all based in science...although taken from bits and pieces of stuff I read or hear. Y'know...like the string theory stuff. And I just took a basic physics class (algebra based, so nothing complicated) and that has helped me look at this better.

I'm actually incorporating this theory into a comic book (mostly likely a web comic) sci fi/fantasy series that I'm developing. It's gonna be epic, if I can actually execute it. lol

- Carl Sagan
12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
(12-12-2011 11:46 AM)zaika Wrote:  our great great great great great great ad nauseum grandchildren have unlocked the secrets of interdimensional travel and were the ones who gave us the technological "nudges" to advance our civilization

Unfortunately, that is a paradox. You'll have to gloss that one over.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user