Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.
I've put this thread in the Health and Psychology section because it's (it is) making me crazy and sick!

I have been scan-reading an excellent thread started by TheJackal and added to with gusto by many of the members here that I bow before, intellectualosity-wise.

It's (it is) great stuff and well worth reading.

But it's wrong ... and ... its wrong.... all over the place.

It's = shortened form of "it is" where the apostrophe denotes the missing "i".

Its = possessive.... belonging to it.

On that thread and almost every other it's is used incorrectly (so is its).

Even worse perhaps, The Theist's oft-linked-to site tops it all by using it's incorrectly in its title.

Rant over!

Now don't (do not) do it again.

Thanks.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
21-10-2012, 05:37 AM
RE: Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.
Now I like David Mitchell even more (though after finding out who he's dating I'm kinda disappointed...)

PS. Same goes for they're, there and their, as well as your and you're. Not to mention "could of" (which I once saw in a book, a bloody published book...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-10-2012, 07:23 AM
(21-10-2012 05:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  ... though after finding out who he's dating I'm kinda disappointed...

I'm curious, are you:
a) disappointed that he IS dating (anyone)?
b) disappointed that he is dating Ms. Coren?

If she is a chip off the old block, surely one can see the attraction to someone of Mr. Mitchell's ilk.

21-10-2012, 07:30 AM
The misuse of there and their absolutely drives me crazy.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-10-2012, 07:35 AM
(21-10-2012 07:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  The misuse of there and their absolutely drives me crazy.

Oh dear. There, their, they're! Hug
Chill out, sunshine.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-10-2012, 07:45 AM
(21-10-2012 07:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  ... though after finding out who he's dating I'm kinda disappointed...

I'm curious, are you:

If she is a chip off the old block, surely one can see the attraction to someone of Mr. Mitchell's ilk.

Haha! Disappointed that he's dating that particular woman - saw her on QI (where I get most of my info - and personal opinions - about British celebritiesWink) and must say I found her totally unfunny and unlikeable. What exactly is his "ilk"? Is she supposed to be his superior because of her family or are they both considered upper-class toffs? You must excuse my ignorance, I come from a simpler place, where we do not have as many class distinctions as you guysWink

21-10-2012, 08:21 AM
(21-10-2012 07:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm curious, are you:

Haha! Disappointed that he's dating that particular woman - saw her on QI (where I get most of my info - and personal opinions - about British celebritiesWink) and must say I found her totally unfunny and unlikeable. What exactly is his "ilk"? Is she supposed to be his superior because of her family or are they both considered upper-class toffs? You must excuse my ignorance, I come from a simpler place, where we do not have as many class distinctions as you guysWink

Sorry, I was assuming you were a fellow Brit. My bad.
I was meaning that if she has half the intellect and wit of her father (Alan) then I can see the attraction.

I must catch up QI. I haven't seen it since I left ol' Blighty in 2005.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Does this apply to our version on English? Just asking Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
21-10-2012, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 08:52 AM by Vera.)
(21-10-2012 08:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  Haha! Disappointed that he's dating that particular woman - saw her on QI (where I get most of my info - and personal opinions - about British celebritiesWink) and must say I found her totally unfunny and unlikeable. What exactly is his "ilk"? Is she supposed to be his superior because of her family or are they both considered upper-class toffs? You must excuse my ignorance, I come from a simpler place, where we do not have as many class distinctions as you guysWink

Sorry, I was assuming you were a fellow Brit. My bad.
I was meaning that if she has half the intellect and wit of her father (Alan) then I can see the attraction.

I must catch up QI. I haven't seen it since I left ol' Blighty in 2005.

Thanks for assuming I was British (I also loved it when people in Brazil thought I was Portuguese, 'cause of my accent).

Well, she didn't come off as particularly bright (not by QI standards, anywaySmile) and definitely not funny. And that's coming from someone who actually enjoys Johnny Vegas' stream-of-(semi)consciousness rants and can even stomach Jeremy ClarksonSmile Mitchell, on the other hand, has always struck me as a bright chap. You should definitely catch up on your QI (that's why we have torrents), I've moved on to the XL versions and they never fail to make me feel better (even have one lined up for tonight, though I'm not really keen on one of the guests...)

21-10-2012, 09:51 AM
So you are living in Brazil?

I don't know what "torrents" are, unless you are referring to the rain in Singapore today.

And I'm not a Clarkson fan... way too right-wing for my taste.